+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
How do you do....it? Thread, Ghostcasting in Technical; Hi there We have Ghost 2003. I want to use ghostcasting but just dont know how to do it. How ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,696 Times in 1,474 Posts
    Blog Entries

Ghostcasting

Hi there

We have Ghost 2003. I want to use ghostcasting but just dont know how to do it. How do i make a boot partition? currently i have to go to each machine and use a bootdisk and i am tried of doing that now.

Cheers.

Z

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-Greatermanchester View Post
    Hi there

We have Ghost 2003. I want to use ghostcasting but just dont know how to do it. How do i make a boot partition? currently i have to go to each machine and use a bootdisk and i am tried of doing that now.

Cheers.

Z
    Use a multiple boot disk with Ghost on:

Universal TCP/IP Network Bootdisk for M$ Networks

There are some good guides on there.

[ Ghosted 48 laptops today all at the same time..... ] From my freenas box......
    All built within 10 mins - [ 10 gig partition ghosting at gigabit full duplex... ]

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Thats what we use now, but i am sick of doing it manually when i can just do a full room in a few clicks.

Thank Post
    You want to investigate PXE booting, or move to FOG

Thank Post
    David McCoy wrote up a good guide to getting PXE Ghost working a while back, - the main post is here.

I've used it on many occasions, although the latest version of Ghost (Solution Suite 2.5) doesn't work with the Windows TFTP/PXE stuff.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Haven't used Ghost 2003 but with Ghost 8 and earlier you need to install the Ghost client onto the machine in Windows (it's an MSI so it's easy to deploy). Once you've done this, the machines will appear in the ghost console. You can then organise them into groups (eg by room) and make sure that each machine has an appropriate template selected (this basically defines the network card driver - you may need to add extra drivers and this process is documented but it's fairly easy)

You then create a task to deploy an image, join the domain etc. when you start this task going, a number of things happen. A set of files get pushed out to the client in Windows and a "virtual partition" is created (basically, a hidden file which contains the contents of a DOS ghost boot disc). The machine is then shut down and rebooted automatically and starts up in DOS. the first time you do this a couple of reboots take place as the correct stuff gets put in to place but eventually you will see the Ghost multicast server console start and machines appear in the list.

Once all the machines are ready, the imaging process will start automatically. When the imaging finishes, they will reboot automatically (i think they boot once into DOS and then back to Windows). Sysprep will run and then another reboot happens when the machine gets renamed (back to the original name if that's what you choose) and joined to the domain.

If you just have a few machines which don't have the client installed then you can push it out from the Ghost console - you just have to select the machines and give an admin username/password.

PXE booting doesn't really help - you still need to go to the machine and choose "network boot" at startup (or set the default to that and make sure that your DHCP server is not handing out boot info by default). If you use the ghost console you never have to touch the machines after the first install - everything is remotely managed.

I haven't used FOG but from what I've read of it, it's just a way of multicasting to PXE booted machines - again, you'd need to touch each machine to make it boot and connect to the FOG server; Ghost avoids this stage.

7. 2 Thanks to srochford:

actech (21st August 2008), FN-GM (20th August 2008)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Thanks srochford, just what i was after.

I will give that a try tomorrow.

Z

Thank Post
    Ghost 2003 is the consumer version, so I don't think it will Ghost server in it.

Don't forget if you use ghost you need a license for each machine you use/have used it on unless its been destroyed, decommisioned or wiped with gdisk to remove the ghost signature.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Don't forget if you use ghost you need a license for each machine you use/have used it on unless its been destroyed, decommisioned or wiped with gdisk to remove the ghost signature.
    We have been using Ghost for some times all that is in order.

Its not a consumer version, unless it isnt version 2003.

Thank Post
    There isn't a 2003 enterprise edition so it must be a different version

7.5, 8, GSS1, GSS1.1, GSS2 or GSS2.5 are the Enterprise ones. 9, 10, 12, 14 and 2003 are consumer versions.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    just remoted in and checked. Version 8.3.

Sorry my mistake.

Thank Post
    You could do what I do then

RIS/PXE boot then set up a session with the ghost server. Some manual work involved

For me: F12 to boot from network. Ghostcast -> Multicast. session name. OK, OK enter.

I haven't used the ghost client for a number of years due to many machines having 256MB ram.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DMcCoy View Post
    You could do what I do then

RIS/PXE boot then set up a session with the ghost server. Some manual work involved

For me: F12 to boot from network. Ghostcast -> Multicast. session name. OK, OK enter.

I haven't used the ghost client for a number of years due to many machines having 256MB ram.
    Thats what i am trying to avoid i don't want to go and visit each machine to deploy the image. srochford solution is just what i am after.

Thanks

Z

Thank Post
    Oh, and on the subject of multicast

Broadcom SUCK!

Similar intel machines, both dual core, 1Gb nic/link.

The intel: 1200MB/min
    The Broadcom: 500MB/min

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    phew all our desktops are realtek & VIA.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information