+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
How do you do....it? Thread, Ghostcasting in Technical; Originally Posted by srochford Haven't used Ghost 2003 but with Ghost 8 and earlier you need to install the Ghost ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by srochford View Post
    Haven't used Ghost 2003 but with Ghost 8 and earlier you need to install the Ghost client onto the machine in Windows (it's an MSI so it's easy to deploy). Once you've done this, the machines will appear in the ghost console. You can then organise them into groups (eg by room) and make sure that each machine has an appropriate template selected (this basically defines the network card driver - you may need to add extra drivers and this process is documented but it's fairly easy)

You then create a task to deploy an image, join the domain etc. when you start this task going, a number of things happen. A set of files get pushed out to the client in Windows and a "virtual partition" is created (basically, a hidden file which contains the contents of a DOS ghost boot disc). The machine is then shut down and rebooted automatically and starts up in DOS. the first time you do this a couple of reboots take place as the correct stuff gets put in to place but eventually you will see the Ghost multicast server console start and machines appear in the list.

Once all the machines are ready, the imaging process will start automatically. When the imaging finishes, they will reboot automatically (i think they boot once into DOS and then back to Windows). Sysprep will run and then another reboot happens when the machine gets renamed (back to the original name if that's what you choose) and joined to the domain.

If you just have a few machines which don't have the client installed then you can push it out from the Ghost console - you just have to select the machines and give an admin username/password.

PXE booting doesn't really help - you still need to go to the machine and choose "network boot" at startup (or set the default to that and make sure that your DHCP server is not handing out boot info by default). If you use the ghost console you never have to touch the machines after the first install - everything is remotely managed.

I haven't used FOG but from what I've read of it, it's just a way of multicasting to PXE booted machines - again, you'd need to touch each machine to make it boot and connect to the FOG server; Ghost avoids this stage.
    Just wanted to say that this is how I do my ghosting, via the console, quick and simple. The only time I need a bootdisk is when it's a new PC/New HDD.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,742 Times in 1,502 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by srochford View Post
    Haven't used Ghost 2003 but with Ghost 8 and earlier you need to install the Ghost client onto the machine in Windows (it's an MSI so it's easy to deploy). Once you've done this, the machines will appear in the ghost console. You can then organise them into groups (eg by room) and make sure that each machine has an appropriate template selected (this basically defines the network card driver - you may need to add extra drivers and this process is documented but it's fairly easy)

You then create a task to deploy an image, join the domain etc. when you start this task going, a number of things happen. A set of files get pushed out to the client in Windows and a "virtual partition" is created (basically, a hidden file which contains the contents of a DOS ghost boot disc). The machine is then shut down and rebooted automatically and starts up in DOS. the first time you do this a couple of reboots take place as the correct stuff gets put in to place but eventually you will see the Ghost multicast server console start and machines appear in the list.

Once all the machines are ready, the imaging process will start automatically. When the imaging finishes, they will reboot automatically (i think they boot once into DOS and then back to Windows). Sysprep will run and then another reboot happens when the machine gets renamed (back to the original name if that's what you choose) and joined to the domain.

If you just have a few machines which don't have the client installed then you can push it out from the Ghost console - you just have to select the machines and give an admin username/password.

PXE booting doesn't really help - you still need to go to the machine and choose "network boot" at startup (or set the default to that and make sure that your DHCP server is not handing out boot info by default). If you use the ghost console you never have to touch the machines after the first install - everything is remotely managed.

I haven't used FOG but from what I've read of it, it's just a way of multicasting to PXE booted machines - again, you'd need to touch each machine to make it boot and connect to the FOG server; Ghost avoids this stage.
    Hi there

I have just deployed the client to a few machines, the install seems successful. How do i see the machines in ghost now? Also should i have edited a file before i deployed ghost?

thanks

Z

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Hi

I can now see them, i have executed a task but i selected the wrong driver accidentally. How do i stop it from booting into dos please?

Thanks

Z

Thank Post
    Try Ctrl + C and it should restart into Windows, or bring up a promt to type in ghreboot or something like that.

Thank Post
    I use PXE boot here with GSS1.0, Could you not use WOL to switch the PC's on and have them already configured to boot from lan. I only have the PXE server switched running during holidays so that no PC's pick it up.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DMcCoy View Post
    Oh, and on the subject of multicast

Broadcom SUCK!

Similar intel machines, both dual core, 1Gb nic/link.

The intel: 1200MB/min
    The Broadcom: 500MB/min
    Never had any problems with the Broadcom nics, getting just under a gig when ghosting them - [ only problem I have had is finding the relevant NDIS drivers.... ]

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Would there be a reason why my ghost server cannot see the clients in ghost console but my workstation can?

Thanks

Z

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information