+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
How do you do....it? Thread, Web-based Help Desk Software in Technical; Hiya all, Hope you're all having a good summer and either enjoying a relaxing one or not working too hard ...

Thank Post

Web-based Help Desk Software

Hiya all,

Hope you're all having a good summer and either enjoying a relaxing one or not working too hard if at work!

I'm looking to implement a web-based Help Desk system, in order to kewp track of ICT incidents - e.g. hardware/software issues and also ICT requests - e.g. VLE changes etc. from staff.

It would also sort out the issue of performance management, if it ever came up. so that I would have something tangiable to show SLT if asked. Plus. the ability to update support incidents with a 'progress update' would be useful, so that people can see we're actually working on the problem and haven't forgotten them.

Does anyone know of a good, free web-based Help Desk system that could do this? I'd also like Active Directory Integration, so I can easily grant staff access to log an incident - obivously I don't want students being able to do this. AD integration would mean one less set of user accounts to maintain, as we could just grant access by security groups that we've already defined.

E-mail notification to technical staff of raised incidents would also be a very useful feature.

Windows-based would be preferable, although Linux is a possiblitiy - I'm going to host this on it's own virtual server.

I tried Liberium (Liberum Help Desk), but didn't have any luck getting it up and running.

Any idwas and suggestions would be much apprecated!

Many thanks,
    Neil

Thank Post
    This isn't free but at the same time it isn't too pricey. I recommend My Little Helpdesk.

Thank Post
    I use OneorZero

Help Desk / HelpDesk and Task Management - Open Source, Free and Supported Software by OneOrZero

I use the free (couple versions behind) version and because of that only use it internally, for security.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,889 Times in 1,170 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Edu-IT View Post
    This isn't free but at the same time it isn't too pricey. I recommend My Little Helpdesk.
    It is free if you host it yourself, you just have to apply for it. If you can pay up for it all the better as this helps out Ozan.

Thank Post
    Spiceworks, it may not do everything you want but it is easy to use

Thank Post
    Thanks for the speedy replies so far. I'll take a look at those packages tomorrow morning.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nsherin View Post
    the ability to update support incidents with a 'progress update' would be useful, so that people can see we're actually working on the problem and haven't forgotten them.
    I wanted a system that did this too, so I wrote one. I like email-based call-tracking systems (just depends what you're used to, I guess), so that's what I've written - you send an email to the support address and you get an auto-reply back with a tracking code embedded in the subject. Any subsequent replies to that email then get filed under the same job number.

I'd also like Active Directory Integration
    My system uses LDAP authentication, which works very well with AD (that's what I'm using).

so I can easily grant staff access to log an incident
    Anyone can log a call to my system, pupils included (heck, they're the ones doing the learning, you know). The idea with our email system is that email addresses will match LDAP usernames, so it would be simple enough to add a bit of code to go and check that a particular user belonged to a particular group before accepting a request from them.

E-mail notification to technical staff of raised incidents would also be a very useful feature.
    Again, easy enough to add, but the idea of my system is that calls are tracked on a nice all-in-one web-based interface. It uses the Dojo JavaScript library to provide a snazzy drag-and-drop interface that lets you sort tasks into order of importance and read all emails belonging to a task via a tree-based interface.

Windows-based would be preferable
    Python-based, developed under Windows, but should run on anything that Python (and the LDAP module) runs on. The application is it's own self-contained web server, run on any port you like - you can run it on your desktop machine if you like, or a server. There is no database to fiddle around with, it's all self-contained (simply stores data in folders and files).

It's not really quite finished yet, but you're welcome to have a play around with it if you want.

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I also recommend My Little Helpdesk... cant go wrong with it..

If you can pay for it like GB said it would help out ozan.. but drop him a PM he will chat to you..

He's Nice he wont bite

Ozan aka ICT NUT

James.

Thank Post
    Help Desk Software by Ilient

The Dogs ********

tjb
    Thank Post
    We are using Ilient's SysAID helpdesk here too, it's only the free version at the moment but we will probably upgrade to the full version in the near future. It is very slick looking and does everything we need. I also tried My Little Helpdesk (9.0.6 I think) but had many issues with the SQL setup and eventually gave up my trial of it when the next version was no longer available as a free download. It was a shame as the next version looked easier to install and setup!

Thank Post
    We use HelpSTAR 9.0, good all round facilities, hard and software assset management, web based access for users, good support from firm.

Thank Post
    Hello everyone,

Thanks for the speedy replies. I work alongside Neil (the OP), and we took a look at SysAid yesterday. For those of you who use it, does the free version support Active Directory integration? We had a play around with the installation but couldn't seem to see whether it did or not.

Thanks,

Chriss

Thank Post
    @dhicks - Could I have a look at it please?

Thank Post
    you are more than welocme to try My Little Helpdesk for free -> Helpdesk Software, Service Desk, Web, Mobile ITIL and FITS based support. - Edu Application

It does all that you have listed and then some

PM Me if you need anymore help or info

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast