+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
How do you do....it? Thread, New computers and setting user directory. in Technical; We have a number of new Fujitsu Simenns workstations to add to the network over the summer - they are ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

New computers and setting user directory.

We have a number of new Fujitsu Simenns workstations to add to the network over the summer - they are replacing some Dell GX60's. Trying to set up the first ones we are running into a problem in that they are not picking up the user settings (home folder and logon.bat for printer settings and shared drives) from our Win 2K server. Any suggestions please?

Thank Post
    Definitely attached to the domain and put in the correct container yeah?

Log onto one of the workstations, and click start, run, and type "gpupdate /force /boot"

Let it reboot and see if this fixes it.

3. Thanks to kmount from:

speckytecky (25th July 2008)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kmount View Post
    Definitely attached to the domain and put in the correct container yeah?

Log onto one of the workstations, and click start, run, and type "gpupdate /force /boot"

Let it reboot and see if this fixes it.
    Thanks for that. Tried it now. Logging on as a student I find that it still isn't picking up, printers, IE cache settings nor the students home folder on the server - it is picking up the student directory (allowing only access to the named student) and shared folder though. Something has gone wrong somewhere as the last PC I put on the network - fair while ago picked up all the right settings

Thank Post
    Have you moved the PC into the correct "container" in AD? Its a mistake ive made on occasion

Ignore Just read "kmount's" post about the same thing , doh

6. Thanks to pooley from:

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Yes it is on the domain (we only have the one) and in the same container as the other workstations

Thank Post
    Checked the event viewer for errors?

9. Thanks to kmount from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,259 Times in 790 Posts
    Blog Entries
    their ou has the correct permissions to group policy and netlogon share?

11. Thanks to Domino from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,699 Times in 2,288 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If you run the logon script manually after you have logged in does this map everything correctly?

If it does you may want to look at altering group policy to make the logon scripts run synchronously:

User Config > Administrative Templates > System > Scripts : Run logon scripts synchronously (enabled)

13. Thanks to SYNACK from:

Thank Post
    Add the student user to the local administrators group on one of the machines and see if it makes a difference. We had an issue awhile back where our new machines weren't pulling settings and it seems we have a script thats was inherited along time ago that adds pupil users to the administrators group to apply settings (seems strange to me!).

15. Thanks to richard.thomas from:

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kmount View Post
    Checked the event viewer for errors?
    Thanks, I see one in particular that looks relevant - how do I fix it? :

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: NETLOGON
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 5719
    Date: 25/07/2008
    Time: 13:08:28
    User: N/A
    Computer: FJ2
    Description:
    No Domain Controller is available for domain WCS_SERVER01 due to the following:
    There are currently no logon servers available to service the logon request. .
    Make sure that the computer is connected to the network and try again. If the problem persists, please contact your domain administrator.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
    Data:
    0000: 5e 00 00 c0 ^..À

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    When joining the new workstations to the domain are you re-using existing computer names? If you are, then it's recommended you delete the existing computer objects in AD. When you join the new workstations to the domain, new computer objects are created. You can then move them into the correct OU to pick up pre-configured policies.

18. Thanks to Michael from:

Thank Post
    Thanks, I see one in particular that looks relevant - how do I fix it?
    Are you using a static IP configuration or DHCP? Can you ping your domain controller?

You could try manually entering an IP, subnet mask, gateway and primary DNS (which would be your domain controller).

20. Thanks to Michael from:

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    When joining the new workstations to the domain are you re-using existing computer names? If you are, then it's recommended you delete the existing computer objects in AD. When you join the new workstations to the domain, new computer objects are created. You can then move them into the correct OU to pick up pre-configured policies.
    I'm going to the AD setting up the new name to join i.e. pc01 then back at the new pc which has been set up with the pc01 name clicking on the join - I have been doing the WCS_... bit but on checking on one that logs on OK I see the log on box has that but if I check in the domain name of one that is logged on ok it comes up with something that looks more like the school web address?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Are you using a static IP configuration or DHCP? Can you ping your domain controller?

You could try manually entering an IP, subnet mask, gateway and primary DNS (which would be your domain controller).
    It's DCHP and yes it pings just fine and dandy. Where would I do that manual entry thing please?

Thank Post
    I'm going to the AD setting up the new name to join i.e. pc01 then back at the new pc which has been set up with the pc01 name clicking on the join - I have been doing the WCS_... bit but on checking on one that logs on OK I see the log on box has that but if I check in the domain name of one that is logged on ok it comes up with something that looks more like the school web address?
    It sounds like you're manually creating the new computer account, then joining the machine to the domain (which is absolutely fine), but I think this is causing you problems.

Normally what I do is install Windows, install all required applications then run a utility called Sysprep which is available on the Windows CD-ROM within \SUPPORT\TOOLS. Within here, double click a file called DEPLOY.CAB. Copy all files to C:\Sysprep

Setupmgr.exe allows you to create an answer file. It's a simple to use Wizard. When ready double click Sysprep.exe, tick Mini Setup and choose the Reseal button. At this point you can create an image of your installation to use over identical hardware.

The reason I am telling you all this, is because Sysprep can be configured to automatically join your computer to the domain and create the computer object for you. It also resets the SID (Security Identifier) at the same time. Cloning machines (and not using Sysprep) does have its problems.

However, if you're joining computers to the network which already have Windows installed, don't manually create a computer account in AD. Simply right click My Computer > Properties > Computer Name tab and join the computer to the domain here. The computer account will then be created for you and you just move it into the correct OU.

It's DCHP and yes it pings just fine and dandy. Where would I do that manual entry thing please?
    DHCP is the recommended route, so if you can ping the network ok, it means DHCP and indeed network connectivity is sound. The problem does sound SID/computer account related, so follow my advice above. Configuring a static IP won't make any difference.

24. Thanks to Michael from:

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast