+ Post New Thread
How do you do....it? Thread, Lunch/Meal logging software in Technical; Wasn't sure if this should be in "MIS Systems", but anyway. My main school has recently moved to all registration ...

Thank Post

Lunch/Meal logging software

Wasn't sure if this should be in "MIS Systems", but anyway.

My main school has recently moved to all registration being done on teacher laptops direct into SIMS. (I think that the LEA wants to be able to "follow up" on missing kids). However, there are still paper registers for what lunch the kids are having, which the head Dinner Lady then has to go through and add up by hand. (I think there is also some sort of token system so that the kids get what they said they wanted in the morning - i.e. meat/veggie/own).

It just seems a bit of a waste of effort. I had a quick look at SIMS but didn't spot any Lunch options, so I'm wondering if anyone has any clever/free/"teacher friendly" software that can be used to record who wants what lunch and then collate/total the information.

I know there is one system (that was looked into, but had a huge annual fee) that meant the kids could self-register on the Smartboard, but I'm thinking that there must be something else available.

1/2 considering knocking together something that takes the SIMS lists (pretty sure it will export to CSV) and does the job, but don't want to be responsible when/if it goes wrong (and I couldn't design anything that looked pretty enough!).

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,666 Times in 2,263 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I don't know how useful this will be for your purposes as I haven't played around with it but it could be useful:

Eduforge: PSCafePOS: Project Info

Its open source to and claims to integrate with student information systems.

Thank Post
    Cheers, I think that's for the "Point of Sale" end (from the screenshots - bit wary of downloading a demo movie that is an .exe); I was hoping someone may have something that sorts who wants what before they even get to the cafeteria. I might d/l it and see if there is some way to get it to work, though.

Thank Post
    SIMS do an add on app called dinner money. I don't know if it's any good or how it links to taking the register but may be worth a look.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread