+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
How do you do....it? Thread, Sophos interface irritations in Technical; As SAV seems to be quite 'popular' amongst UK schools maybe somebody might know the answer to these questions: How ...

Thank Post

Sophos interface irritations

As SAV seems to be quite 'popular' amongst UK schools maybe somebody might know the answer to these questions:

How to make the updates take place in backround without that annoying progress box which grabs focus?

In the rare occasions it is necessary to stop on-access scanning can this be done without having to use the windows services management console?

Thanks

NG

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Re: Sophos interface irritations

Quote Originally Posted by NetworkGeezer
    How to make the updates take place in backround without that annoying progress box which grabs focus?
    That'd be damn useful!

Thank Post

It's amazing that a company selling into the education sector can persist with such a clunky interface.

Anyway, I have toyed with idea with using AutoIt to wait and then grab the box and send it to the back of the stack.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,293 Times in 786 Posts
    Blog Entries

Version 5 dont, but its evil

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,035 Times in 908 Posts

Yup, that box has gone from V5 so they have answered your problems, but given you a 100 more issues, and they are worse than that.

The other way is there used to be a way to remotely update Sophos over the LAN using a logon script and pulling some info from the servers folder to the local ones, so it then didnt update using the window, I know one college that did that, but it was not as effective as the usual way.

Thank Post

i have said this before, and i will say it once more. say goodbye to bloody sophos. esset's nod32 is far superior: faster updates, lovely interface, massively fast online scanner, properly 'network ready', brisk and easy setup.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by free4440273
    i have said this before, and i will say it once more. say goodbye to bloody sophos. esset's nod32 is far superior: faster updates, lovely interface, massively fast online scanner, properly 'network ready', brisk and easy setup.
    Yeah I guess but Sophos comes bundled iwith other services from the LEA. Going to another vendor would mean more cost and the joys of uninstalling Sophos on 100s of PCs

Thank Post

that's the lea's problem. i said good riddance to sophos two years ago at all my four/five schools i work at. if the lea don't like that decision, they had better employ somebody else.

Thank Post

The choice is left to the school. We'd just pay the same service charge in addition to the cost of another product. So far we have just taken the 'saving' and hope that staff can get the hang of Alt-TAB.

Thank Post

alt-tab is the least of one's problem - that's my understanding from the rest of these threads...concerning sophos.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,035 Times in 908 Posts

The old Sophos compaired to V5 is bliss, pure luxary, like the Bentley of the Anti-Virus world, fine you couldn't get fancy statistics from it, but it did work and didn't cause major issues. The pop up was very annoying, but appart from that it was not too bad.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,993 Times in 932 Posts
    Blog Entries

I can't see why you all have so many problems with Sopos. I've had it running flawlessly in all versions for years now, with no problems at all. Any problems which come to my attention are more often than not user created. I'm going to start a full on Sophos debate as I feel it is getting a bit of an unfair assualt here. You have to remeber that Sophos is first and foremost a corporate AV tool, not a personal install and does require centralised management.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box
    I can't see why you all have so many problems with Sopos. I've had it running flawlessly in all versions for years now, with no problems at all. Any problems which come to my attention are more often than not user created.
    /me keep carm.

You will note I started this thread in the How do you do it forum. If my two queries were just confguration issues then so be it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box
    I'm going to start a full on Sophos debate as I feel it is getting a bit of an unfair assualt here. You have to remeber that Sophos is first and foremost a corporate AV tool, not a personal install and does require centralised management.
    Even though corparate AV products are usually not as jazzy as the consumer verson, you must admit though that the SAV UI design leaves a lot to be desired. This is 2006! There should be somethings we should expect from enterprise class products.

Thank Post

But are you on 5 or the old version? If you are on the old version then you can't really complain as they have addressed this problem but you have not gone to it. It's like people complaining that Windows 95 is a bit clunky looking!

Thank Post

i'm on version 5 and had no problems apart from a couple of installs on older machines, i went to a co8uple of sophos seminars with my old job as we were an authorised sophos reseller i prefer it much more than symantec which i find awkward to use!
    its a brilliant product when configured correctly

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast