+ Post New Thread
How do you do....it? Thread, Printing authentic tabloid sized/style papers in Technical; Hello All, Does anyone know the best way to mock up a tabloid-style newspaper? I mean proper sized, same paper ...

Thank Post

Printing authentic tabloid sized/style papers

Hello All,

Does anyone know the best way to mock up a tabloid-style newspaper? I mean proper sized, same paper quality as that which you get the Times printed on kind of thing. Obviously we can whizz off stuff on A3-sized 80GSM coated paper easily enough, but can I put 52GSM un-coated paper through an A3 inkjet printer (HP k8600) okay? If I got paper that was twice Tabloid dimensions, then folded it in half to print on, would the printer take that okay?

Anyone know where I get such paper as a home consumer? There's one chap on eBay, from the US, selling cut paper as packing material, is that about the only option?

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,698 Times in 2,288 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Looks like it can handle 60 - 286 GSM http://h20195.www2.hp.com/PDF/4AA1-7140EEE.pdf

I don't think that it would take to kindly to feeding a folded piece through unless it was well secured at the edges because the rollers would pull the bottom sheet forward and would rely on the papers rigidity to pull the top sheet along to. You might be able to tape or glue a small seam around the edges and then cut this off once it was printed.

I would suggest talking to your local papers to see if they can give you some pointers on sourcing some of the paper as their printers very well may end up with spare paper off the end of a roll. You may also be able to get some from a stationary or craft supply shop.

Here they got some from London Graphic Center
    Print you own Christmas Wrapping Paper.

Edit:
    Heres a place that you may be able to contact, don't know if they sell it in smaller units than a roll though:
    http://www.aylesford-newsprint.co.uk/Sales.asp
    Last edited by SYNACK; 22nd June 2008 at 07:14 PM.

3. Thanks to SYNACK from:

dhicks (22nd June 2008)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    ...can I put 52GSM un-coated paper through an A3 inkjet printer (HP k8600) okay? If I got paper that was twice Tabloid dimensions, then folded it in half to print on, would the printer take that okay?
    Unfortunately with pretty much any printer you won't be able to fold the paper and then feed it through because the rollers will only do actual pulling on one sheet of paper (ie: on one side). The result would be the paper bunching on one side and causing a jam.

You COULD try it without folding and using the tabloid size paper (or near as dammit) on the max setting but I wouldn't like your chances using the duplexer. Manual double side feeding would be a bit hit and miss and I'd definitely allow a LOT of drying time for one side to dry properly before you feed back through for side #2. One thing that wouldn't help would be heavy graphics..

For best results/chances I'd probably go for fast normal mode or draft and keep graphics relatively light if you can. When page #1 is done find a way to let it dry flat for a couple of minutes (maybe put it in a real newspaper and put some weight on it), repeat... then put it through for side #2.

My guess is you'll figure out a way to make it work over time but as to where you can get the paper, doubtful you will.. that stuff comes in huge rolls and because it's naff quality I don't know of any producer who'd cut and sell it in sheets... I'll ask around though.

5. Thanks to contink from:

dhicks (22nd June 2008)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    Looks like it can handle 60 - 286 GSM
    Thanks for that link - I tried looking at the user manual and everything, but couldn't find the bit where it told what paper weights it could handle!

I would suggest talking to your local papers to see if they can give you some pointers on sourcing some of the paper as their printers very well may end up with spare paper off the end of a roll. You may also be able to get some from a stationary or craft supply shop.
    I'll give the shops here a look - heck, I live above one of them, it shouldn't be any trouble to go check :-) I think possibly most of this stuff is sold as "packaging" or "wrapping", I might do just as well to try the fish-and-chip shop!

Thanks for those other two links!

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Try the Paper Agents Association - their website lists a few suppliers of newsprint ("section one")

Not many years ago we'd have done "real" newspapers on an offset litho machine although really only with spot colours (getting the registration right for full colour is not easy...) Now we have much more technology but the basics are harder :-(

Can you not persuade them that the future is digital and they should be producing stuff for the iLiad :-)

8. Thanks to srochford from:

dhicks (22nd June 2008)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by contink View Post
    Unfortunately with pretty much any printer you won't be able to fold the paper and then feed it through because the rollers will only do actual pulling on one sheet of paper (ie: on one side). The result would be the paper bunching on one side and causing a jam.
    Drat, good point. I think I'll stick to single sheets. It was just a thought - it's one of the most common exercises going, do a mock-up of a newspaper for event so-and-so, and it looks so much nicer if the paper quality and size is authentic.

that stuff comes in huge rolls and because it's naff quality I don't know of any producer who'd cut and sell it in sheets... I'll ask around though.
    No worries - I figure fish-and-chip paper should work nicely!

--
    David Hicks
    Last edited by dhicks; 22nd June 2008 at 11:07 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by srochford View Post
    Can you not persuade them that the future is digital and they should be producing stuff for the iLiad
    Actually, the particular application I have in mind is for a theatre show, in which each audience member gets a mock-up of a paper on their seat that explains some of the back-story. Giving away that many electronic readers would get pricey quickly :-)

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    If you're doing that amount it might be cheaper to send it to a friendly print shop rather than do it on an inkjet.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread