+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
How do you do....it? Thread, Ghosting a non networked laptop? in Technical; @HodgeHi / DosBox, Best bit of s/w for imaging over the LAN I've found is Acronis TruImage (v11) you load ...
    Thank Post
    @HodgeHi / DosBox,

Best bit of s/w for imaging over the LAN I've found is Acronis TruImage (v11) you load the Boot CD / DVD and can basically browse the network for wherever you've stored the image files. (There are a couple of issues like it won't put \'s in from the keyboard - you need to copy and paste them) but apart from that it is awesome and FAST!!

EDIT - Did a Primary school suite of 20 PC's in under 3hrs (including all the classroom/laptop traffic getting in the way) I found that fairly suite - geddit... suite!! - EDIT

@ LeMarchand - "an ext HDD does the job a lot faster than using DVDs or the ancient network in one of my schools"

Surely thats just the "ancient network" though aint it?
    Cat 5 Ethernet is way faster than any external HDD isn't it?

I haven't had the luxury of trying an SATA Ext HDD yet but USB 2 seems a great deal slower than ethernet overall.
    Last edited by superfletch; 20th June 2008 at 12:04 AM.

Thank Post
    @ LeMarchand - Sorry didn't read your post properly...

still Cat 5 gotta be the quicker though if you went crossover / straight through?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 748 Posts
    Got to agree with you there superfletch, Acronis is just first class used it with external hardrive wd 120gb once i had built first laptop to how i wanted just imaged to external HD and did the rest by just booting from the cd and loading the image, took 5mins per laptop had to do 20 so less than 2 hours tops Brilliant!!!!
    and you can upgrade the image by adding to the previous image the software just does it for you easy peasy.

Thank Post
    I now use net-restore coupled together with Netboot where the images and net-install set are located on a XRAID with a 4Gb fibre channel connection to the server and the server with a 1Gb connection to the network as are all the clients.

Takes about 15 minutes to re-image both OS X and XP partitions. All i got to do now is aggregate the link to the network on the server and it should be a little quicker.

I have only got around 10 machines to do like this though at the moment although i will soon be rolling it out to another 40 machines.

I prefer the network method over DVDs / HDDs especially if you want to have more than one going at the same time.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,637 Times in 1,094 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HodgeHi View Post
    I prefer the network method over DVDs / HDDs especially if you want to have more than one going at the same time.
    Of course, but the OP stated that they were not to be networked.

Thank Post
    But to image to a drive across a network does not mean they are part of the network as in using network-based accounts. You can image workgroup machines using ghost and restore a workgroup-based image all from a network share or am i missing something.

Someone mentioned a single switch a doing it that way. If you were gonna do that then you may as well just patch it back to the main switches and get the image from the server.

Unless they are looking at bandwidth usage, or ip address usage from the dhcp or not wanting dns records added? The way i read it was that they were not to be joined to the network for account access.

Thank Post
    I can vouch for Acronis True Image, very good bit of sw. I wonder if anyone know the answer to this:

You have two identical laptops. You install XP using the serial on the sticker on one, including all drivers and sw. You make an image of that machine and deploy that image to the second laptop. Will the second one have the same XP serial number as the first? If so, after image deployment can you change the second laptop so that it uses its own XP serial number?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,653 Times in 2,253 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayaz View Post
    I can vouch for Acronis True Image, very good bit of sw. I wonder if anyone know the answer to this:

You have two identical laptops. You install XP using the serial on the sticker on one, including all drivers and sw. You make an image of that machine and deploy that image to the second laptop. Will the second one have the same XP serial number as the first? If so, after image deployment can you change the second laptop so that it uses its own XP serial number?
    You may need to use sysprep on the imaged machine to make it ask for the new serial number. I think that ghost corporate has this feature built in without the need to use sysprep but I could be wrong.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/302577

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,339 Times in 727 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayaz View Post

Just use the Windows Product Key Update Tool

Thank Post
    Ive used Sysprep only once and it seemed to go through ok although it takes abit of setting up. Just wondered if Microsoft had a utlity to chnage the serial number of the laptop, make life a lot easier than using sysprep.

edit - thats exactly the type of tool i was looking for. Now I can just create an image of the first one, deploy it to the other, change the key with the tool, change the computer name, user account. Would I need to give the 2nd laptop a new SID as well, i.e. will it have the same SID as the first laptop?
    Last edited by Ayaz; 24th June 2008 at 10:19 PM.

Thank Post
    I use Drive image.

Partition the laptop and image a backup to the second partition. Use drive image to hide the partition. Then when you need to restore just boot from CD or USB and restore in 5-10 minutes.

I also create a DVD with the image on to restore from, and once restored copy the image to the backup partition.

This covers all angles, and is great if the H/Disk is large enough.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,637 Times in 1,094 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Just out of interest, does it really matter if the laptops use the same serial? I mean I know really you shouldn't do this but you are clearly licensed to use the OS on all the laptops, is anyone really going to kick up a fuss if they discovered you cloned one and they share a serial?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkeh View Post
    Just out of interest, does it really matter if the laptops use the same serial? I mean I know really you shouldn't do this but you are clearly licensed to use the OS on all the laptops, is anyone really going to kick up a fuss if they discovered you cloned one and they share a serial?
    You have a point I suppose but I just want to be extra careful. I went on a training course and the guy there was saying how there is this organisation that has similar powers to Customs and Excise. They can into any school/organisation and look at all the software you have installed and say to you, where are the licenses for these? Although we have the correct ones on the sticker of each laptop, if I use just one on all its like a volume licence key which it isnt so just to be safe.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12