+ Post New Thread
How do you do....it? Thread, Exchange 2007 And External Alias in Technical; Hi, I have had a look at the suggested threads at the top of this message when composing and nothing ...

Can't talk now: The mother-ship is calling!
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,268 Times in 866 Posts
    Blog Entries

Exchange 2007 And External Alias

Hi,

I have had a look at the suggested threads at the top of this message when composing and nothing there seems to be near the mark.

We have a newly installed Exchange 2007 server. Historically we used RM EasyMail and we were able to setup aliases for external users, users who do not have usernames on our network and have E-Mail addresses outside our school domain [someone@googlemail.com], who had an interest in the school [Governors for example]

What I want to do is create an E-Mail identity [which does not have a mailbox attached so that members of this new alias do not have to manage the mailbox] Once mail is delivered to this new identity Exchange should contact everyone who is a member of it [attached to it] I realise that Exchange 2007 does not use these terms in the same way as EasyMail used to [Aliases vs Distribution lists, contacts etc] I have used the old 'RM' type terms here in an attempt at clarity [probably has not worked though!]

All of our efforts to get this to work have failed thus far. Can anyone point me in the right direction please?

Sorry about this post being so poorly presented but I am having to write it and run. I hope it makes sense after having written it in such a rush.

Thanks.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
    Hi,

I have had a look at the suggested threads at the top of this message when composing and nothing there seems to be near the mark.

We have a newly installed Exchange 2007 server. Historically we used RM EasyMail and we were able to setup aliases for external users, users who do not have usernames on our network and have E-Mail addresses outside our school domain [someone@googlemail.com], who had an interest in the school [Governors for example]

What I want to do is create an E-Mail identity [which does not have a mailbox attached so that members of this new alias do not have to manage the mailbox] Once mail is delivered to this new identity Exchange should contact everyone who is a member of it [attached to it] I realise that Exchange 2007 does not use these terms in the same way as EasyMail used to [Aliases vs Distribution lists, contacts etc] I have used the old 'RM' type terms here in an attempt at clarity [probably has not worked though!]

All of our efforts to get this to work have failed thus far. Can anyone point me in the right direction please?

Sorry about this post being so poorly presented but I am having to write it and run. I hope it makes sense after having written it in such a rush.

Thanks.
    Can you not create a distribution group and add members to it and then try sending an e-mail to the email address of the distribution group from yahoo or hotmail account say for example.

When you create a distribution group it will allow you to specify the alias as well as the email address for the distribution group. Make sure that the security of the distribution group is set to allow everyone to send e-mails to this distribution group otherwise external senders may be denied access.

Ash.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ashok View Post
    Can you not create a distribution group and add members to it and then try sending an e-mail to the email address of the distribution group from yahoo or hotmail account say for example.

When you create a distribution group it will allow you to specify the alias as well as the email address for the distribution group. Make sure that the security of the distribution group is set to allow everyone to send e-mails to this distribution group otherwise external senders may be denied access.

Ash.
    Thanks. We have tried this approach already and it has not worked. It will deliver mail from an internal address to another internal address but will not deliver to or from an external address.
    Last edited by DaveP; 15th July 2008 at 07:37 AM. Reason: Tautology.

Thank Post
    Silly question...have you added the external addresses in to AD?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Burt View Post
    Don't know if it's the correct way to do it but we get this achieved by setting up new contacts (with an external email address) and adding them to the distribution group. The new contacts show up in AD automatically so you may want to organise them in some sensible fashion.

As mentioned earlier make sure that you allow all mail to be sent to and from external sources (right click Dist. Group/properties/mail flow settings/message delivery settings and tick 'accept messages from all senders').

HBJB

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Burt View Post
    We have created the Distribution Group and added the members to it [A School Governor] In the E-Mail tab the E-Mail address [alias] is specified.

In Active Directory the Governors' external E-Mail address is specified in the E-Mail address field of his entry in AD [This entry is a contact in our Governors OU] I think that covers it. Still does not work though.

One thing I should say is that the Exchange server is not a domain controller. I would have thought that this is not the problem though?

For info: Server OSes:

Domain Controller:

Windows Server 2003: Enterprise Edition: SP1

Exchange:

Windows Server 2003: Standard x64 Edition: Service Pack 2.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Heebeejeebee View Post
    Don't know if it's the correct way to do it but we get this achieved by setting up new contacts (with an external email address) and adding them to the distribution group. The new contacts show up in AD automatically so you may want to organise them in some sensible fashion.

As mentioned earlier make sure that you allow all mail to be sent to and from external sources (right click Dist. Group/properties/mail flow settings/message delivery settings and tick 'accept messages from all senders').

HBJB
    Yes Accept Messages for 'All senders' is selected as is 'Require that all senders are authenticated' maybe this should not be selected? I will give it a go now...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Ok I have just tested it having removed the 'Require that all senders are authenticated' tick. It appears to have worked. I am refusing to beleive it until I get someone else to witness/test it though. I will let you know.

Thanks, in part, to Heebeejeebee whos post gave me the idea to take the tick out.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread