+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
How do you do....it? Thread, Lockdown showdown: NetOp, Net Support, Ranger, LanView in Technical; Just as an after thought. You do not have to buy 500 licences if your school has 500 PC's. You ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,194 Times in 1,006 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Lockdown showdown: NetOp, Net Support, Ranger, LanView

Just as an after thought. You do not have to buy 500 licences if your school has 500 PC's. You only have to buy enought to cover the amount of PC's you are going to connect to at any one time, so say you have 500 computers and buy 200 licences then you can only connect to 200 computers at a time in a session, and all you have to do is disconnect from the connected computers to other that need your attention. You can alkways buy more licences next year.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

IMO, it's a completely ridiculous price for what it is.

Thank Post

Been trialling these too.... Just got a quote for NSM myself - £9300 for 200 clients. That's a special for this month, it's £13000 ish for June when I'd want to buy (that does include DNA/Helpdesk too).... so it's looking like abcontrol for me http://www.abconsulting.com/html/Home.html
    £150 per console, clients free, all future upgrades free. Decent product and excellent value. Only downside I can see is no msi/push install....
    Sorry Netsupport - waaaayyyy toooo spensive....

Thank Post

I could probably get away with 350 licences for most of the time - but there will be occassions when that plan backfires on me - as it did with the Ranger Licences

Even then - it still won't be cheap.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 922 Posts

I like NSM, but we didn't buy the school version as the sales bloke said they could not do anything really on the price of that, but they could on the manager. We did save quite a chunk on the manager. We also just got the renewal notice today, ~£400 for 60 clients!! But we only got 60 clients. It works really well, and is really worth the money.

Thank Post

What about AB Tutor Control?

It does most things and a few more BUT...

You only buy the license for the controlling stations - unlimited clients.

Admittedly the NetSupport product is about the best I've tried but I don't think AB Tutor Control can be beaten on price (open source/public domain excluded).

GeoffH

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by john
    I like NSM, but we didn't buy the school version as the sales bloke said they could not do anything really on the price of that, but they could on the manager. We did save quite a chunk on the manager. We also just got the renewal notice today, ~£400 for 60 clients!! But we only got 60 clients. It works really well, and is really worth the money.
    You get the school version free!! When you install it, simply select custom and install the tutor components as needed. This is what makes NSM so desirable for schools.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 922 Posts

Yeah, I have got it installed on my machine as well Dos_box, (only just spotted it the other day though) So going to give it a whurl maybe someday soon as staff are reading information about monitoring things in naff RM publications, and are wanting to look over all the PCs in the IT rooms at once now....

Thank Post

i use netop. netsupport manager is just as good (many people think it has the edge over netop slightly). re ranger, as i have said many times before this is a pile of excrement, to be removed from the heel of your shoe asap. the smell of it does linger...

Thank Post

Whatever you go for, stay away from Sanako, which used to be Imperata.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by free4440273
    i use netop. netsupport manager is just as good (many people think it has the edge over netop slightly).
    NSM School does seem to perform better for speed & stability but the user interface conventions appear to be have thought up by a Dalek or some other extra terrestrial intelligence

Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box
    Quote Originally Posted by woody
    We are trialling Net Support School at the moment. The thing I don't like, and I'm sure John maybe able to help on this, is that is doesn't seem to grab the logon names from the AD when you look at the PCs in the list. You have to get them to 'Register' if you want the names to appear. When you have lots of classes and many of them coming in from other lessons, you don't want to be going through that hassle every time. You want the setup time to be minimal. It seems to rely on the teacher seting up a lesson in preperation. You can time it out and everything. But all that is too gimicky. You just want to have the control. You don't need it to teach for you!
    The reason you have to get them to 'register' is because it saves on network traffic. The 'registering' you talk of is actually connecting to the client and acheiving a permanant connection until disconnected. If you connect to all clients then it will send your management station all of the info from those PC's and generate traffic.
    With NetOp on the other hand you can see the computer name and the username of who's logged on. If you're clever with environmental variables you can even set the details screen to show the user display name.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

With NetOp you must pay extra for every management console install. With NSM you can have as many as you like at no extra cost. As I have stated earlier, NSM lets you see who is logged on once you have connected to the client. Connecting does not involve viewing, mearly registering it's existance in your management console.

Thank Post

A few more NSM annoyances:

The keyboard lock for demo or screen lock does lets through some keypresses so some students can cause irritation by filling up keyboard buffer and waiting for the computer to start beeping.

NSM notifies teacher of connection and disconnection via pop ups which means if a group of kids reset their machines then the teacher is bombarded with pop ups. I had to turn of the chat and call for assistance for this reason. There should be a more flexible option for allowing or disallowing chat.

To top it all, why doesn't NSM have a proper select all function rather than having to click drag to select all the machines in a cluster.

Block all internet appears to have stopped working. Have had to whitelist a fictious site then set Allow only approve webistes web blocking. I could have blocked iexplorer.exe but IE is needed for some features in FrontOage and to also view some HTML pages on network drives.

Thank Post

At the moment i use Netop (Or Tutor as its branded by a certain company we all know and love ) Its very good but i have just been googling other packages mentioned like Net Support and looked at the screenshot to find that UI looks strangly familiar, Why you ask?

Because that UI looks a lot like RM Tutor 3 To be released at the end of april

See screenie, Have RM rebranded another product and passed it on as there own?

I like netop, At least i know it works, I don't think we will be upgrading to 3 as 2 does what we want but still thought i would raise the point.

Barry

Thank Post

I did see this in action once - GoverLan - and it seemed pretty neat.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast