+ Post New Thread
How do you do....it? Thread, Intranet - What do you use? in Technical; School I work as has an Intranet that has generally been abandon by the teacher who was looking after it. ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Intranet - What do you use?

School I work as has an Intranet that has generally been abandon by the teacher who was looking after it. Primarily as it was bloody horrible classic html bodge together in Word and Dreamweaver!

So, I've stepped up and offered a better CMS solution, but undecided what to go for. Love the look of Joomla, and been playing with the Edu Geek template (Thanks Guys! ), but then started tinkering with Sharepoint Services. And then of course, there is Moodle which will give the VLE element sort of combined with an Intranet.

So, question is, what do you use and who looks after it?

Pete

Thank Post
    We host our intranet/extranet on WSS(v3). I went with sharepoint a couple of years ago with a view to adding the SIMS web parts at a later stage (which will be this year). I look after it, it isn't much of an overhead day-to-day, but the upgrade from WSS2 to WSS3 was a PITA!

3. Thanks to meastaugh1 from:

FragglePete (24th May 2008)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 918 Posts
    SharePoint Server 2007 for me Also looking to integrate webparts into it later on (CMIS for me though)

Thank Post
    Sharepoint portal server here too - 2003 upgrading to 2007 in the summer. We look after it and 'help' the teachers add content. It's been a slow journey but they're starting to get the idea!

Thank Post
    We use Joomla for our intranet, set up by me about 2 years ago. It works, but it over complecated. We've given a few of our SLT members rights to login and publish articles, but anything more than a basic item, and we have to do it ourselves as they can't get the hang of uploading PDFs to it etc.

Mike

Thank Post
    We use Dontnetnuke, have done for several years. Has nice AD plug in to allow staff to see certain areas.

Thank Post
    I run an in house developed MIS and electronic testing system, helpdesk (one or zero) and resource booking application (phpscheduleit) on the intranet.

Used to run forums and links (phpbb3) on intranet but migrated those to the live webserver (vbulletin).

I also have a box set up for student web development.

All the above runs on debian LAMP.

Thank Post
    First Post Guys

Sharepoint Portal is a good bit of kit.

Basically you need to work out whether you are going to have an intranet and a separate external VLE/Extranet or have them combined as one in order to meet the DCSF target of having an online learning platform by 2010.

Possibly a better way of doing it would be to have it all as one, so internally your users automatically authenticate against Sharepoint/Moodle (via LDAP), etc, and externally they must enter their domain credentials to login.

Obviously there are security issues to address here with regard to making domain member servers/domain controllers web facing. A number of my colleagues at other local schools have chosen to host their intranet/extranet solutions internally but on servers not part of the windows domain. They authenticate via separate user databases which are replicated by scheduled script with Active Directory.

Personally, I favour the approach of hosting extranet content on a web server in a datacenter off site.

Scott

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread