+ Post New Thread
How do you do....it? Thread, ActivPrimary on CC3 Network in Technical; Hi Some of the teachers want to be able to use ActivPrimary outside of school (i.e. off the school network), ...
    Thank Post

ActivPrimary on CC3 Network

Hi

Some of the teachers want to be able to use ActivPrimary outside of school (i.e. off the school network), but everytime they try to run it, it errors and doesn't run. I ran the debugger and it errored when trying to connect to a network drive.

I'm guessing that this is to do with writing data to their N: ???

If so, is there anything that can be done about it?

ta very muchly,

Alan.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    You could try installing the Active Primary Viewer onto their laptops? Alternatively, modify the registry.

Thank Post
    Currently looking at the registry now, but wasn't 100% of which key to edit.

Thank Post
    I'm still struggling to get to grips with this one. I've tried allsorts. Is ActivPrimary intended to be used solely on a network? If anyone can shed any light on this problem I'd appreciate it!

Ta

Alan.

Thank Post
    I'm just Googling for this issue and from what I can see it appears to use all sorts of non-standard places to store user data, which is fine if you take a Windows PC out of the box and do little to secure it, or the users each have their own computer - but in schools staff/students typically need to move between machines and expect their settings to move with them.

Their documentation suggests you place all the resources in a central location, however the settings seem to get stored outside of the registry data within a user profile.

I normally configure things to provide a single mandatory profile shared by all users, this in this instance with this software is causing more issues, but equally why would I want to configure this manually for each and every user! That would be silly.

The documents I have found refer to a path

\My Documents\...

Well that isn't a path, I assume it is simply dumping it's setting.ini file within My Documents itself, luckily you can change those paths but what I cannot work out is other than in the registry where does it look for its default settings?

Has anyone got a document on network installs of ActivPrimary3? Or am I going to have to resort to loading in registry hacks during the login script?

Anyone cracked this?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    When you install/run ActivPrimary v3, it creates a directory within My Documents. Within this folder are some INI files and these files contain the file paths of resources etc... You can change these paths as appropriate.

Thank Post
    Yes, I appreciate that, sorry my question must not have been clear... how do I change the installed applications behavour so it looks somewhere else, ie a mapped drive such as u:\ and how do I alter the default settings so each new set-up points to the resources which are located on a shared drive?

I don't want it looking in My Documents. I used mandatory, shared profile for all users. Any unique data has to be stored within the users area which is a shared drive, mapped to drive U.

Thanks.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread