+ Post New Thread
How do you do....it? Thread, Printing Budgets in Technical; Hi all, We are currently trying to implement a print monitoring software in the school. The current setup is: The ...

Thank Post

Printing Budgets

Hi all,

We are currently trying to implement a print monitoring software in the school.

The current setup is:
    The head will allocate each department a budget (not a printing budget),in this budget they decide on how much they will spend on printing.

ICT Maint buy the toner in and when a departments printer is out of toner we replace it and bill their department...

Currently any staff can print anywhere and the owner of the printer will get billed.

We would like it setup so that staff/departments are billed for exactly what they print where-ever they print.

How do other schools do this?
    Does the Headmaster budget a single pot for student printing?
    Cheers

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,370 Times in 1,743 Posts
    You need some printer management software which works brilliantly on network printers, but you have more of a problem on local printers.

We use Print Manager Plus, PaperCut is another very popular one.

From these you can regulate who can print what from where and at what time of day. You can also get reports of printing so you can cross charge the costs.

You can apply a different cost per page to each printer and each individual can have an allowance to control how much they print.

There are many threads on these boards on this subject if you search for them.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    You need some printer management software which works brilliantly on network printers, but you have more of a problem on local printers.

We use Print Manager Plus, PaperCut is another very popular one.

From these you can regulate who can print what from where and at what time of day. You can also get reports of printing so you can cross charge the costs.

You can apply a different cost per page to each printer and each individual can have an allowance to control how much they print.

There are many threads on these boards on this subject if you search for them.
    thanks for the reply mate.
    We currently have Papercut setup, the question wasnt about limiting the printing but more about the budgets and who and how toner is paid for.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,747 Times in 2,321 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The two things should be separate, I would have a budget to buy the toners initially and allow the departments to print to whatever printer where their jobs are logged and added to their departments bill. At the end of each month the amount used by each department is deducted from their budget and put into the toner budget pool.

This way at the end of the year you should end up even as the initial outlay is like a cash float that is just used as a buffer for purchasing the toner initially and to allow breathing room to wait for the next billing period to recoup the costs into the toner budget pool.

Thank Post
    The way I do it is to monitor the printing with PyKota dn get it to spit out a PDF invoice for each staff member (script on wiki) every month or two. I then simply add the amounts together for each staff member in a department to get a departmental bill. The bursars do a fund transfer and I have a healthy budget again

I want to automate the process more but don't have time ironically.

Thank Post
    We currently us Print Manager Plus here.
    I have a budget allocated to me for toners and I use that to feed the printers. The Mono pronters are "free" to use however the colour ones have limits (beacuse of the expense).

Basically I allow the staff to print what they want but at the end of the year I present them with a bill (and list of what they have printed) and then they either pay them selves or charge it to their departments as apporpiate.

There are a couple of exceptions where high usage department (art and DT) have their own printers and monitoring is done by the Head of Dept (ususally with a print out from me as to what's gone through the printer). Toner is paid for by those departments.

Thank Post
    thanks,

We have the staff sorted, they are all allocated into Accounts on Papercut, Its the students that we are not sure about.

Do you give the departments 2 x Bills ? One for Staff use and one for Students that have printed to their dept printer?
    Or does someone else pay for student toner use?
    Cheers

Thank Post
    I have a budget for toner. Most of the departmental printers here are simply plugged into machines and that makes it easy to bill for toner, I buy toner, I give them the bill!

The network printers are my responsibility. I have a budget allocated to me for toner and I use that to pay for it.

We don't charge the students. We mearly use the limits enforcalbe by PMP to stop them printing absoultely everything in colour. They get an allowance every week that accumulates throughtout the year. We encourage them to use the Mono printers and save their budget and print out their coursework, once, in colour. Also we encourage them to think about printing ONLY the pages with colour on the colour printer. Works most of the time but there is always one or two who have printed out too many car pictures!

Thank Post
    Obviously my schools have fallen back on CIS equipped inkjet printers and mono lasers.

Net result is that the printing costs are negligible (about 2 - 3p for an A4 page of full colour) which deals nicely with nursery hitting print by mistake 20 times and children wanting to print off work for their parents to see...

That said we still encourage children (and staff!) not to print heedless of cost. Despite this we do get a fair amount of unnecessary wastage so the Papercut logger helps ID those most at fault and a little list to the head tends to do the trick.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread