+ Post New Thread
How do you do....it? Thread, warranties in Technical; what does everyone do with regards to warranties etc for the likes of laptops and projectors. Every projector in the ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

warranties

what does everyone do with regards to warranties etc for the likes of laptops and projectors. Every projector in the school is a completely differerent make / model and when one breaks the repairs sometimes sour to the 400 mark, and the Infocus ones have to go back to Holland for repair.

Just wondering if it would be cheaper to pay the warranties on these things or just foot the cost as and when they break..

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rreynolds24 View Post
    Just wondering if it would be cheaper to pay the warranties on these things or just foot the cost as and when they break..
    Depends on the cost of repair versus the cost of the warranty - go with whichever is cheaper. Simple as, no?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Well all existing ones are out of warranty. I meant on new purchases. How do I know how much they will cost to repair until they break? Was just trying see what other folk did. Sorry should have made it clear.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    well you can get a new projector now for less than 400...

Thank Post
    I meant on new purchases. How do I know how much they will cost to repair until they break?
    Well, you don't exactly, obviously; it might be worth getting some prices for repair work and compare those to the cost of the warranty, or base it on the repair costs of the projectors you currently have.

Typically, projector repairs seem to cost much the same as a new one, though, as Joanne pointed out. I guess that since there isn't much to a projector beyond the mainboard and the bulb, a "repair" basically involves changing nearly everything.

I don't know what model you typically get, but another option might be to spend more on the projectors in the first place - the TCO of a 500 could well be less than that of a 300 one. If you buy cheap you buy twice, as my boss would say.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    We've always bought with 3-4 year warranties on projectors. After that period of time, if they fail then we just scrap and replace. We've actually had very few failures (other than bulbs) so this is pretty cost effective.

We do also budget for a 4 year life cycle on projectors; so far, we're not having to replace them at that age but it's nice to know the money is there if we need it.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,460 Posts
    Blog Entries
    All our laptops have a 3 year onsite warranty. If one should break its easy and convenient for someone to come onsite the next day to repair it.

Thank Post
    All our laptops have a 3 year onsite warranty. If one should break its easy and convenient for someone to come onsite the next day to repair it.
    after you have been on the phone and run all their diag software to find out what is actually wrong with the thing. I thought, when i first bought a machine with 3 year warranty that someone would come along with all the bits in the back of their van, and swap any bits that needed swapping... not the case.

Our policy is that all IT equipment must come with a 3 year or more warranty. WE are now going to 4 year warranty on PCs.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Well we just inform our account manager what needs to be fixed they come next day with the parts and change them. Simple as that.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-Greatermanchester View Post
    Well we just inform our account manager what needs to be fixed they come next day with the parts and change them. Simple as that.
    They're sending account managers on site now to do repairs? None of ours have ever offered to do that.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    lmao you know what i mean

Thank Post
    I like the NEC warranty setup on projectors, 3 years, phone them up with your serial number, and they send a swap out when a courier (they pay) picks up your faulty unit. Then you take out your lamp and just return the bare unit in the box the replacement comes in, and new lamps from school supplies website are around 150 quid for proper NEC kit.

Doesn't mattter who supplied and fitted your NECs, just note the projector has a date of maunfacture on it, if you're not sure exactly when it was installed I think 6 months after that date could be a general rule of thumb

Much cheaper/quicker than asking your local installer to come back and repair or service a projector in my experience.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by conehead View Post
    I like the NEC warranty setup on projectors, 3 years, phone them up with your serial number, and they send a swap out when a courier (they pay) picks up your faulty unit. Then you take out your lamp and just return the bare unit in the box the replacement comes in, and new lamps from school supplies website are around 150 quid for proper NEC kit.

Doesn't mattter who supplied and fitted your NECs, just note the projector has a date of maunfacture on it, if you're not sure exactly when it was installed I think 6 months after that date could be a general rule of thumb

Much cheaper/quicker than asking your local installer to come back and repair or service a projector in my experience.
    What is the schools supply website of which you speak?

Thank Post
    What is the schools supply website of which you speak?
    They take school buying orders and are quick, only used them for projector lamps personally, though they do sell other kit.

suppliesforschools

15. Thanks to conehead from:

RabbieBurns (19th May 2008)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    thanks, hadn't heard of them before. Ink seems pretty cheap there too.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread