+ Post New Thread
How do you do....it? Thread, USB Pen in Technical; Just got myself a new usb pen, had a search on here can't seem to find anything. I was wondering ...

Thank Post

USB Pen

Just got myself a new usb pen, had a search on here can't seem to find anything.
    I was wondering what apps people carry on theres? Is BartPE the best way to make it bootable?

cheers in advance

Thank Post
    Do you mean U3? I don't know much about it, someone mentioned it the other day

Where you can boot off your usb stick.

Thank Post
    I use the HP Disk on Key Utiliy.

What ever happened to those old early big fat silver 64Mb USB sticks that had a bootable floppy drive emulator!
    They were so cool. They worked on nearly everything detected as a floppy not a USB really useful.
    I know I must have it somewhere Im off to search for it now, it would be so easy to set up ghost on.

4. Thanks to m25man from:

rush_tech (2nd May 2008)

Thank Post
    I've got 3.

1x4GB with assorted school docs and software that I tend to need to install frequently (the local LEA a/v, Smartboard, AShampoo School, etc etc).

1x2GB (it was "spare", could have used something smaller) that is a bootable key with UBCD4Win on it. Only recently done it, and not used it much - a few of the "standard" apps don't seem to work, though this could just be because it needs a proper rebuild (I used my existing files).

1x8GB (20 from Staples) that has Portable Apps as a front end. To be honest it's usually a little slow to load and I often just browse to where I need, but it does look flash. Has pretty much anything portable I could find that I thought would be useful/be useful "one day". The apps that see the most usage are HijackThis, jDisk Report, Restoration, Magical Jellybean Keyfinder, Rock XP Keyfinder, Firefox Portable, CCleaner.

6. Thanks to LeMarchand from:

rush_tech (2nd May 2008)

kerrymoralee9280
    I have a small RM Build Disk on one pen, Hirens Boot CD on another Pen and I've just brought my personal 4gb one in from home which now has Windows XP SP2 on it for installation without a CD drive.

I (used to) have a 120gb 2.5" HDD (that I just recently lost). I used to keep everything else on here i.e. application installers, disk images, films (haha). Loved it, and need a new one because I hate how unreliable pens are (especially when mine keep going through the washer)

8. Thanks to kerrymoralee9280 from:

rush_tech (2nd May 2008)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kerrymoralee9280 View Post
    I (used to) have a 120gb 2.5" HDD (that I just recently lost). I used to keep everything else on here i.e. application installers, disk images, films (haha). Loved it, and need a new one because I hate how unreliable pens are (especially when mine keep going through the washer)
    I've got a 30GB 2.5" drive out of a scrapper that I've mounted in a cheap case from eBay, but it's not so convenient to carry around my neck! Keep the films on MicroSD in my HTC Touch...
    Last edited by LeMarchand; 2nd May 2008 at 03:22 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LeMarchand View Post
    I've got 3.

1x4GB with assorted school docs and software that I tend to need to install frequently (the local LEA a/v, Smartboard, AShampoo School, etc etc).

1x2GB (it was "spare", could have used something smaller) that is a bootable key with UBCD4Win on it. Only recently done it, and not used it much - a few of the "standard" apps don't seem to work, though this could just be because it needs a proper rebuild (I used my existing files).

1x8GB (20 from Staples) that has Portable Apps as a front end. To be honest it's usually a little slow to load and I often just browse to where I need, but it does look flash. Has pretty much anything portable I could find that I thought would be useful/be useful "one day". The apps that see the most usage are HijackThis, jDisk Report, Restoration, Magical Jellybean Keyfinder, Rock XP Keyfinder, Firefox Portable, CCleaner.

Are these just standard Memory sticks? Which you've placed bootable files on(iso)?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,652 Times in 2,252 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by flashsnaps View Post
    Are these just standard Memory sticks? Which you've placed bootable files on(iso)?
    Yes standard USB keys but you need to mark the file system on them as bootable for them to work. Stuff like the HP USB Utility allow you to do this.

There is a current thread here that explains how to do it quite nicely:
    creat bootable usb ghost drive

Thank Post
    Sorry, the s**t hit the fan (or, actually, the printers) this afternoon and then I found out that my lucrative weekend job is about to terminate so not really up for a lengthy post now (may try over the weekend). But to cut a long story short, what SYNACK said.

Thank Post
    OK, longer version. All 3 are standard sticks (the 8GB one is a Kingston, the others eBuyer "Extra Value") but only the 2GB is bootable - the "school" stick is just a standard file/folder storage structure while the other uses PortableApps as a launcher.

The bootable one has UBCD4WIN with Ghost slipstreamed, and it was made bootable using the utility in the first post here. Like I said, a couple of the apps don't seem to work but I haven't had a chance to investigate further.
    Last edited by LeMarchand; 21st May 2008 at 10:06 AM. Reason: Dead link

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Thread Information