+ Post New Thread
How do you do....it? Thread, Trust Relationships and DeepFreeze in Technical; Hi Folks, We've been using Deepfreeze on 1000 of our PCs and it's great for protecting them. However, we keep ...

Thank Post

Trust Relationships and DeepFreeze

Hi Folks,

We've been using Deepfreeze on 1000 of our PCs and it's great for protecting them. However, we keep losing the Trust relationship with our DC's. (we run Netware and a Windows Domain for Exchange etc)

Faronics recommended we change the reg settings to DisablePasswordChange (1) and MAxPasswordAge (999) which we've done, but the Trust keeps on breaking.

I know that many other colleges etc use this product. Has anyone else encountered this problem.

It's driving us mad and we're going to have to abandon DeepFreeze.
    Our 3rd line sysadmins say it's a fault with DeepFreeze itself but I can't believe all the other institutions are having this problem too.
    Any comments gratefully recieved!

Cheers - Adam.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,302 Times in 1,063 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Trust Relationships and DeepFreeze

Hmmmm. What is the end OS? Win 2k, XP or something else? I suspect that reverting your computers to an earlier state or SID may have something to do with this. Could you explain just what Deep Freeze does please as most of us here are quite happy with our various imaging systems and tend to avoid such products.

Thank Post

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. We also relied on re-imaging but students were killing the machines within hours.
    We are running XP - SP1 on our PC's.
    DeepFreeze allows users to do what they like but reverts all settings (inc. Registry) to the default when DF was installed at every reboot.
    Hence the domain trust password can never be reset. This shouldn't be a problem as we've turned it off!
    I know there are dozens of UK universities using DF successfully (and surely some of these must have an MS Domain) so was wondering if any of them had encountered the problem and found a way around it.

Cheers - Adam.

Thank Post

I've worked with Cumbria council who use Deepfreeze on their systems for public use and they had no trouble while I was there.
    A chap there told me its used extensively in America.
    I also use it at home with 2003 server domain with XP clients coz I was fed up with my kids infecting/deleting you name it, they did it. Unfortunately for yourself I have had no trouble whatsoever with it.
    As you say its a blinder of a program and its never failed me yet. I wish you luck.

GT

Thank Post
    Hi,

I agree with DOS_BOX as I have inadvertently recreated this problem by not running newSID after imaging a PC.
    Did you create the Deepfreeze image on every PC as is, or did you re image them and then apply Deepfreeze?

Thank Post
    When I visited the deepfreeze stand at BETT, I asked the guy about how deepfreeze machines cope with machine password changes and stuff like that on a domain - he said it wasn't an issue, the product has been around long enough to be able to deal with stuff like that. I guess he must be right - would be a pretty useless piece of software if it couldn't cope with the "volatile" components of a domain PC.

Thank Post
    deepfreeze, is a very good product, but it does what it says on the tin, i.e it freezes the state of the pc, changes can only be made when the machine is in a thawed state i.e security is deactivated.
    the weakness of deepfreeze is the fact that it is software.
    if you want something much sturdier that is hardware look at the 'reborn' card which does the same job, only faster.
    i am currently using fortres-cleanslate, which is ok, but problematic, reborn cards are the way forward for me i think

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread