+ Post New Thread
How do you do....it? Thread, Prevent Msn Messenger, Yahoo Messenger, Games etc... in Technical; I notice people around the forum was looking for way to prevent msn messenger from running so i thought i ...

Thank Post

Prevent Msn Messenger, Yahoo Messenger, Games etc...

I notice people around the forum was looking for way to prevent msn messenger from running so i thought i would share my way of preventing this and also any other type of exe file you do not want students to run on the network.

Firstly I created a new GPO "prevent software"

Then get hold of all the exe files you want to stop running, If its msn messenger you will need to download each version of this and I will tell you why later. Games Students and running on the network etc.

Save all of them to a folder on your network.

GO to the policy and edit it.

Computer Configuration-Windows Settings-Security Settings-Software Restriction Rules.

Right click Additional Rules and select new hash rule. Browse to the specified exe to block and select ok. ensure the security level is set to dissallowed. Apply n Ok it. Apply it to a group of computers and then watch the little suckers try and run it. No Chance! This also denies the exe to run from a usb drive or any external device, Caught them bringing it in on usb stickes one day.

This creates a hash file of the actual exe file itself, even changing the name of the exe would not bypass it. Although because each version of msn messenger is diffrent and has diffrent information in the exe you have to create a hash of that too. Once you have it for all then its done. all you need is to create ones of the new ones that come out to keep it blocked.

I Have uploaded my group policy hash rules of exe,s I have collected from the students.

http://www.rutlish.merton.sch.uk/PreventSoftwareGPO.rar
    Last edited by chrissmall; 29th April 2008 at 06:18 PM.

2. Thanks to chrissmall from:

GrumbleDook (29th April 2008)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread