+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
How do you do....it? Thread, What are your reporting methods? in Technical; How do you manage your workloads? Do you ask staff to report problems and requests in a certain way, or ...

Thank Post

What are your reporting methods?

How do you manage your workloads? Do you ask staff to report problems and requests in a certain way, or do you do jobs as and when?

I'm trying to set up some proper reporting and request methods, and wondered if anyone else utilises this.

I've pulled together problem report forms and change request forms and am trying to get them into circulation.

Do you refuse anything by word of mouth, or do you ask staff to follow it up with something in writing?

I have a NM who never writes anything down, and I'm getting staff coming to me saying: "he said it'd be done in October, and it's still not done.. can you sort it?"... so I'm hoping that with proper reporting procedures, less stuff will get missed.

Oh for my HSBC days with separate departments dedicated to problem, and change management!!! 8O

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Re: What are your reporting methods?

We had the same problem, due mainly to staff grabbing us in corridors whenever we were in the middle of a job saying "oh, can you just do this for me?" and us promptly forgetting about it.

What we do now is have them call our receptionist who notes down the task in a public folder in Exchange. We examine the tasks periodicly and things get done from there. We refuse scraps of paper and people who acoust in corridors and tell them to go to Reception

Seems to work well, getting less complaints this year anyway.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts

Becta have provided a framework for IT in schools.
    http://www.becta.org.uk/fits/

We use request tracker to manage our helpdesk. I tested a lot of software to do this and found that Request Tracker beats most commercial solutions.
    http://www.bestpractical.com/rt/

In theory, request tracker is our single point of contact. Staff can email the request tracker, enter the info through a browser or call a technician (to enter the info) If a support request is entered into the request tracker, the user is supplied with a ticket and the job will definately get done. If I get stopped in the corridor I mostly forget... staff soon get the message.

A big advantage is that the other techs can keep an overview of what each other are doing. As all our information is now entered into the request tracker database, we also can keep track of faulty equipment and training needs (faulty users) more easily.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Ah yes - RTFM Good to hear you find it works well.

Thank Post

We have our own scratch built online reporting system which we have incorporated into our VLE/Website (this can also be sold separately as it is all modular report/job tracking module only £30 for site license), we only accept requests via this method. Jobs are collated in an SQL database and shown in priority order; Jobs can then be assigned to particular NM/technicians.

Staff submit page

Admin Page

Staff also have the ability to track the fault, displays notes added by technician giving updates on the job process.
    Closed jobs are also added to a KB giving staff option to search for previous fixes.

Thank Post

I looked into this kind of solution some time ago, but then turned to the one we already had inside of some software CSE give us anyway. Voila. Do the staff use it anyway?

Not on your life.

But it is there :-)

Thank Post

Yes, they have no choice but to! Its dead straight forward to use, There are variouse other modules we have created which are used by staff on a daily basis such as pupil daily reporting. Which is used between teaching staff and our office personell to great effect.

Thank Post

Do the staff use it anyway?
    Not on your life.
    This was one of the reasons we went with request tracker, Our staff were already used to e-mailing faults, so the only thing they needed to do differently was to email helpdesk rather than the individual technician.

it has already improved things around here, now I just need to explain to SMT how to plan in advance, and the benefits of being aware of TCO and change management.....

Thank Post

We only accept faults emailed to us by staff.

They all do lesson registration by the hour so they are always logged on. They have no excuse not t o email us. They all used to stop us in corridors as well.

Thank Post

We use Liberum Help Desk which allows tracking by user, automatically assigns jobs to staff based on category reported (yes, this isn't necessarily the same as the actual category), emails updates when they are made. Easy clicky webby interface. And the price is right.

In terms of getting people to use it, that's a slightly different matter. If I'm accosted in the corridor I tell them I will forget unless they report it. We've done some animated tutorials to show them how to use it, so there's no excuse. We're quite a way down the track of it being universally used, though I suppose there will always be those who think that the rules are there for someone else but they are special...

In some ways the biggest battle has been to get people to understand that the process is essentially a dialogue: submitting a report that 'there was an error message' is bound to trigger a request for more information - many of our users seem to think that their involvement ends when they first click the 'submit' button.

Thank Post

Liberum looks good (especially the price!), now, all I need to do is to sit down with some peace and quiet (so not any time soon then) and work out where it'll sit, and how it'll integrate with our Exchange server. I hope it's smooth...

Any other free options are welcomed. I did find the SomeHelp software simple to setup, but the interfact isn't pretty and it required users being setup... which could've taken me a long time...

Thank Post

Integration with Exchange (so the NM informs me) isn't too bad - use either Jmail (free download) or CDONTS.

Cheers

Alison

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

You could try the Sharepoint Helpdesk template thingamy. That'll integrate right into your network assuming you're using AD. IIS, Sharepoint Services, Windows 2003 and MS SQL database of some flavour required

Thank Post

This is one of the other products I tested:

http://manageengine.adventnet.com/pr.../service-desk/

But I still maintain that requesttracker beats most of the others in functionality, it took about 2hrs to set up, has excellent support and works in pretty much any environment (with our exchange server).

Thank Post

@indiegirl: If you pester me I will send you the stuff I have written which is due to be sent out to our staff next week. This includes a list of things that the staff must attempt before logging a fault - until these tasks are completed no action will be taken. There is also an explanation of the prioritisation of tasks.

I am implementing a formal method for reporting faults, using a One||Zero (www.oneorzero.com) helpdesk system. After much trawling of opensource systems, I found that this has just the right amount of features and is easy to configure and use.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast