+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
How do you do....it? Thread, SSL Certificate in Technical; Yes, there is a process for doing this that just needs some tidying up between EMBC and ourselves (and a ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,781 Times in 1,105 Posts
    Blog Entries

Security Certificates via EMBC / Northants LA

Yes, there is a process for doing this that just needs some tidying up between EMBC and ourselves (and a subequent procedure put in place for Synetrix). I won't have it ready for next friday's meeting with the Northants IT Managers, but if peopl can prod me every so often to keep chasing it and getting it published (yes ... that means you lot ... Kim / Barry / Kev / Ken)

Thank Post
    Looking back i'm unclear if anyone got a free single server .sch.uk certificate from here?

SSL Certificate Wildcard SSL Free Certificates Server Certificates 256 bits

Cheers.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Please see my post in the Security Forum here.

4. Thanks to GrumbleDook from:

cookie_monster (16th September 2008)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cookie_monster View Post
    Looking back i'm unclear if anyone got a free single server .sch.uk certificate from here?

SSL Certificate Wildcard SSL Free Certificates Server Certificates 256 bits

Cheers.
    Yes, they can be obtained for .sch.uk domains, I'm just in the process of renewing one I got 2 years ago. It had been working fine so long I'd forgotten it had been a free!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,314 Times in 798 Posts
    Blog Entries
    One thing to note is you must have a cert from a authority that uses a root cert on mobiles to allow OMA/OWA as mobile devices have a limited set of root certs that can be used.
    We used geotrust quickssl premium to ensure mobiles worked well here as our users use it.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 919 Posts
    Has anyone had problems getting hold of this lot with issues at all? I started the process for my certificate and when they came back with the whois details asking who to email to confirm my request, the email records are not correct they are missing the school domain out of it so itsshowing admin@lea.sch.uk rather than admin@school.lea.sch.uk. I've emailed there support desk as per the sites instructions and got a reply saying submit a ticket, did that and no reply to that either! I need to get my OWA secured before Christmas and this has been dragging on over a week now.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    Has anyone had problems getting hold of this lot with issues at all? I started the process for my certificate and when they came back with the whois details asking who to email to confirm my request, the email records are not correct they are missing the school domain out of it so itsshowing admin@lea.sch.uk rather than admin@school.lea.sch.uk. I've emailed there support desk as per the sites instructions and got a reply saying submit a ticket, did that and no reply to that either! I need to get my OWA secured before Christmas and this has been dragging on over a week now.
    I had the same problem but was resolved in an afternoon via email.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Might be worth looking at these people: StartSSL? Certificates & Public Key Infrastructure

As far as I'm aware they're not yet trusted, but are undergoing audits by Microsoft and Mozilla to be included by default.

mpe

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by srochford View Post
    This is the response I (eventually) got from them.

I understand you were looking for some information on Server Certificates for NEN Schools.

At present, Janet(UK) only offers SCS Certificates to 1) our organisations in receipt of a Primary Connection to Janet and 2) to Local or Unitary Authorities connected to the National Education Network in England (either directly or via a Regional Broadband Consortium); or to the Scottish Schools Digital Network in Scotland; or to the Lifelong Learning Network in Wales; or to Classroom 2000 in Northern Ireland.

We currently have a trial on-going with CLEO (the RBC for Cumbria and Lancashire) where they are issuing Certificates to NEN schools. We are thus hoping to be able to roll this out Nationally at some point to be able to offer the service through all RBCs. All RBCs will be informed at the relevant time as and when the service goes Live. If you require further information and would like to be notified when the service is available, I suggest you contact your RBC, SWGfL
    Which dosn't exactly correspond to what other people, specifically GrumbleDook, have been saying on this thread.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Presently the JANET service is not rolled out to RBCs to be CAs. The trial is still going on as far as I am aware but it is unlikely to come to EMBC until it is a national roll-out. JANET will not deal with schools directly on this unless you have a JANET connection (usually linked to a relationship to a local Uni or an early connection).

Contact your RBC and LA to see if they have an alternative in the meantime.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123