+ Post New Thread
How do you do....it? Thread, Online bookmarks/links in Technical; For our VLe, which is a self contained unit, I was wanting to create an online links database where I ...
    Thank Post

Online bookmarks/links

For our VLe, which is a self contained unit, I was wanting to create an online links database where I could post links to sites easily, have them tagged and put into different folders/catagories. I can then link to the html page on our platform through an iFrame.

I have not found anything which would let me easily post, manage and sort links. I need something which can be posted onto easily without having to edit html (which is the current way of doing things)

I have used something similar using RUNcms but this requires a mySQL database and I don't really want to pay for one.

Any ideas?

Thank Post
    Could you not use http://del.icio.us/?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Edu-IT View Post
    Could you not use http://del.icio.us/?
    What he said, if you register with delicious they provide you with a code block (of html) that you can just copy and paste into your webpage to display your links / tags.

Also have: edutagger - K-12 Social Bookmarking / Popular bookmarked, but never used it so no idea if it's any good.

Cheers
    Jona

Thank Post
    Is there a way of using Del.io.us to have a folder for Literacy, a folder for numeracy and what not?

I'm worried about kids vering away from the links onto something very unsuitable...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    What is your VLE? Does it already use a SQL database (Microsoft, MySQL???) Are you any good at PHP/ASP/ASP.Net?

If you can answer "yes" to some of those questions then I'd roll your own - it only needs a couple of db tables (link categories and link details??), a web page to add new links and a page to display them.

If you've got a db and your web site is running ASP or ASP.Net then I could probably put something together for you (I did one ages ago but we then started using something else - I think our OPAC has a facility for this)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MJoyeux View Post
    Is there a way of using Del.io.us to have a folder for Literacy, a folder for numeracy and what not?

I'm worried about kids vering away from the links onto something very unsuitable...
    Well you could have a seperate account for each subject or use tags to mark the subjects. Since it's free it might be quickest just to try it! I think using a personalized html block they'd have to be trying quite hard to get to ""unsuitable"" links.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by srochford View Post
    What is your VLE? Does it already use a SQL database (Microsoft, MySQL???) Are you any good at PHP/ASP/ASP.Net?

If you can answer "yes" to some of those questions then I'd roll your own - it only needs a couple of db tables (link categories and link details??), a web page to add new links and a page to display them.

If you've got a db and your web site is running ASP or ASP.Net then I could probably put something together for you (I did one ages ago but we then started using something else - I think our OPAC has a facility for this)
    I've pretty much forgotten everythring I new about PHP, we only did a little of it at uni. Our VLE is the netmedia one, I don't think much of it - the head says we have to use it.

The del.ico.us problem is that the children can still get back to their home page which might have something unsuitable on.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MJoyeux View Post
    The del.ico.us problem is that the children can still get back to their home page which might have something unsuitable on.
    I think this is going to be a problem with any publically avaliable bookmark service, surely your proxy should be blocking inappropriate content anyway? If not I reckon you don't have any choice but to roll your own. Maybe you could use google apps or a wiki to maintain a bookmark list... or just have a list of urls...

Did you look at? edutagger - K-12 Social Bookmarking / Popular ??

Thank Post
    The homepage is primarily text based and if the kids were to click any unsuitable links then your web filtering should pick up on it.

You could host your own PHP based system.
    Hot Scripts :: PHP :: Scripts and Programs :: Bookmark Management

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread