+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
How do you do....it? Thread, Monitor Student Activity in Technical; Originally Posted by siuko Well I did add the computers by ip address which didnt take long to do the ...
    theeldergeek
    Quote Originally Posted by siuko View Post
    Well I did add the computers by ip address which didnt take long to do the 100 or so machines...

You can then use the created globalconfig.xml file to share this with other computers etc..

You can even change the location of the globalconfig.xml via the registry.

Take a look at the italc wiki for further info

If you get stuck give me a shout we have it running ok here.

2 issues since install
    1) Make sure you have plenty of ram 512mb+ on the masters - they dont seem to like less
    2) The tightvnc bug that greys out the username and password field sometimes on the client pcs.

Teachers seem to be liking it so far!
    OK... please write an idiots guide to installing/using this thing in, say, a class of 30 PC's. I am going to admit to being an idiot with regard this, as I just can't seem to get my head around it! However, from what I saw, I like it a lot. I want to get it working so I can convince the Boss it's the one to use for us! However, what I want to avoid, is lots of faffing around with configuration. As I said earlier, my only security concern was the balloon pop-up which advertised IP addresses.....

Thanks for any help

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KWestos View Post
    Before you purchase, look at Impero. I doubt anything could beat this, and their support is second to none!
    We're trialing Impero at the moment. It is fantastic and the teachers love it. However, just got a quote and almost fell off my chair. Hoping they are open to negotiations.

Pete

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by losav13 View Post
    What software do you use, have you used that worked or did not work, to monitor what students are doing during class or in a lab? I am looking for software that will allow teachers to look at a students screen from the teacher computer in front of class. I have looked into Vision and DyKnow, but do not know how well they work. Does anyone have suggestions?
    Smart do an excellent piece of kit called synchroneyes. We moved to it from NetOp(yuk) and never looked back.

Plus you can buy a site license. I think ours was just short of 4000

Thank Post
    Well this section of the Italc Wiki has a very easy to follow install guide for windows if you only require a simple setup.

This works on 1 master pc (ie the teachers) plus many client pcs.

I knew that I would be using Italc in multiple rooms and require access to these rooms by IT support staff too so I decide to make things a little more complex by adjusting the location of the globalconfig.xml file.

The biggest thing to remember is to make sure on the very first master install (where you tick to install master and client) that you make a copy of the keys folder and the italc_dsa_key.pub file.

If you decide to go further than just one master and clients let me know and I will write more details on how I have setup multiple rooms and IT support staff computers.

Although to be honest I still do alot of the adjustments manually like copying keys and editing the registry to relocate the globalconfig.xml which I could probably script.

I also do not have the security issue with the icon showing an ip address as we have taskbar icons hidden for students.
    Last edited by siuko; 28th April 2008 at 01:08 PM.

theeldergeek
    Well this section of the Italc Wiki has a very easy to follow install guide for windows if you only require a simple setup.

This works on 1 master pc (ie the teachers) plus many client pcs.

I knew that I would be using Italc in multiple rooms and require access to these rooms by IT support staff too so I decide to make things a little more complex by adjusting the location of the globalconfig.xml file.

The biggest thing to remember is to make sure on the very first master install (where you tick to install master and client) that you make a copy of the keys folder and the italc_dsa_key.pub file.

If you decide to go further than just one master and clients let me know and I will right more details on how I have setup multiple rooms and IT support staff computers.

Although to be honest I still do alot of the adjustments manually like copying keys and editing the registry to relocate the globalconfig.xml which I could probably script.

I also do not have the security issue with the icon showing an ip address as we have taskbar icons hidden for students.
    Ok, I'll 'stumble' through the Wiki to try and feel my way a bit, but I reckon you'll be a godsend for our scenario!

What I'd like to do, is for each IT suite - we have six in which there is a 'teacher' computer, the rest being student machines - is have the teachers computer as a master for that suite alone (repeated across the other 4) but the 3 IT Tek machines have access to all machines, regardless of location.

In essence then, the teacher is able to 'control' the PC's in his/her classroom, and the techs can do the same, but with the latter having control across multiple machines covering all the classrooms.

Achievable? And how.... ??

Thank Post
    Yes it is achievable its exactly how its setup here and running ok.

The only downside, as it was a quick bodgejob on my part, is that it isnt quite as secure for staff as it could be.

I have used the main keys for master for ALL rooms - so feasibly staff could guess computer ip addresses from other rooms and add them to their lists, but the likelihood of that is very low.

Also since Italc has been installed the IT teachers have asked for it to be installed on their admin computers in their rooms so they can view any room (so worrying about them adding a few computers onto a room master pc doesnt matter much anymore).

I also installed a master onto the IT support staff pc's and created a full globalconfig.xml file with lists of all rooms and all clients (including the teachers master computers). Once you create the full globalconfig.xml it is VERY easy and quick to just open and edit it for each room.

Do you want exact details now?

theeldergeek

Do you want exact details now?

....well, at your convenience of course. I am extremely grateful

Thank Post
    Right well here goes.

And dont blame me if its not the most secure or efficient way of doing it.

1) If you are using VNC on the computers uninstall this first (italc uses the same port as vnc)

2) Install your first master computer (I just installed it on the first teachers pc in the test room I was using) - install using the instructions HERE Just make sure for the master server you install master and client. Create a new key-pair. Export private keys. Also save the public key to somewhere you can find it.

3) Once installed please make backup copies of the c:\program files\italc\keys folder and also a backup copy of the italc_dsa_key.pub file.

4) Install all the clients (only select client install) and when you get to the key section point it to where you have stored your italc_dsa_key.pub public key file. This will verify that the master computer can connect to the client computers.

5) Next I installed a master copy onto my IT support staff pc. Just do the install the same as the other master, but when you get to the key section point it again to your italc_dsa_key.pub location. Once installed copy everything inside c:\program files\italc\keys folder that you backed up onto the same place on the IT support staff pc. This makes sure that your IT support staff pc can verify with the same keys to the clients.

6) On the IT support staff pc add all of your rooms and then all of your clients to Italc in the Classroom-Manager. Close Italc and make a backup copy of the globalconfig.xml found in %PROFILE%\Application Data\iTALC\. I then made copies of this file and edited them to suite. I have full_globalconfig.xml C1_globalconfig.xml etc one for each room I use Italc in. The full xml file has ALL computers (including teachers pc's) in it, and each room specific xml has just the pupil pc's for that room. Keep copies of these xml files and also copy them to the root of c drive of your master pc's in each classroom. I chose root of c drive as staff can read from here but not see it (and they are easy to locate).

7) Run > Regedit and go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/iTALC Solutions/iTALC/paths (you may need to create a new key called paths) and create a new string named globalconfig (if doesn't exist already). Then edit it and make it point to the globalconfig.xml file on the C drive. You could also keep these xml on a network drive if you prefer - See HERE for details .

8) Any time you need to install a new master always use the same keys that you backed up and just change the location and name of the globalconfi.xml - Its not the most secure way but has worked well for a week so far.

Also note you can automate the install process - take a look on the wiki, it didnt seem to work correctly for me so I found it faster to do it manually than debug why the auto install wouldnt work.

Hope it helps - sorry if its a bit of a ramble...

Let me know if you want me to clarify any points

9. 2 Thanks to siuko:

mac_shinobi (8th April 2009), zag (29th April 2008)

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Thanks, I've tried Italc a few times and got stuck in private/public key hell getting very confused about how to authenticate the client machines properly. I gave up in the end but have had it working on previous versions.

The performance on the master machine also seemed poor on previous versions but the latest update says this is much improved. I might try it again!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FragglePete View Post
    We're trialing Impero at the moment. It is fantastic and the teachers love it. However, just got a quote and almost fell off my chair. Hoping they are open to negotiations.

Pete
    Impero is fantastic, we used it at my previous school but my current school can't afford it and the Bursar seems to think that they're not open to negotiation - If you manage to get a deal, please let us know!

Thank Post

+1 for AB Tutor Control

We're using AB Tutor Control here - it allows you to control almost as much as Impero lets you control but at a % of the cost.

I've created groups (password protected, of course!) in each of our 5 IT suites so the teachers in there can only see the machines in that particular room.

The client is installed silently via GP (the same .msi is used for both teacher & student machines but if you push it out via GP it defaults to silently installing the client).

Setting up system monitoring is a doddle using their Policy facility & you can set it up so that it either takes a screenshot of what the student is doing at the time of the keyword infringement (which you provide as a 'blacklist' of words to look out for) or for it to record nn mins of video after the keyword is detected . One possible downside is that it works via keystroke monitoring, so I've had a couple of screenshots taken when someone has typed "...t wat..." quite legitimately (eg "hot water") .

It also has the ability to share screens around classrooms, let teacher take control of PCs/monitor thumbnails of the whole class, etc.

& they do a free trial download...

PM me if you need more information.

13. Thanks to edcirh from:

GaryC (8th April 2009)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,045 Times in 967 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by edcirh View Post
    We're using AB Tutor Control here - it allows you to control almost as much as Impero lets you control but at a % of the cost.

I've created groups (password protected, of course!) in each of our 5 IT suites so the teachers in there can only see the machines in that particular room.

The client is installed silently via GP (the same .msi is used for both teacher & student machines but if you push it out via GP it defaults to silently installing the client).

Setting up system monitoring is a doddle using their Policy facility & you can set it up so that it either takes a screenshot of what the student is doing at the time of the keyword infringement (which you provide as a 'blacklist' of words to look out for) or for it to record nn mins of video after the keyword is detected . One possible downside is that it works via keystroke monitoring, so I've had a couple of screenshots taken when someone has typed "...t wat..." quite legitimately (eg "hot water") .

It also has the ability to share screens around classrooms, let teacher take control of PCs/monitor thumbnails of the whole class, etc.

& they do a free trial download...

PM me if you need more information.
    Don't get me wrong when it works its great but be careful with the update feature - did that when i was working at the prince william school - screwed up all the client installations and contacted support and had to manually go around and install it on each individual client because there was something that GPO could not do ( related to the password for the clients or something )

a schools worth of computers manually re installing that. Not sure if they fixed that yet or not but god that was a nightmare

Thank Post
    We use NETOP. It is pretty good.

Keep Students Safe in Cyberspace

Andrew

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SpuffMonkey View Post
    A vote for AB Tutor here - very robust and works really well. Nice cheap licensing scheme as well. If our experience was anything to go by - avoid NetOp- it was flakey as heck.
    Agreed, the latest version includes keyword monitoring and voting.

Thank Post
    Just trialing it and the staff love it. Price is god as well so it looks like we'll be buying it.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast