+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
How do you do....it? Thread, Monitor Student Activity in Technical; A vote for AB Tutor here - very robust and works really well. Nice cheap licensing scheme as well. If ...

Thank Post
    A vote for AB Tutor here - very robust and works really well. Nice cheap licensing scheme as well. If our experience was anything to go by - avoid NetOp- it was flakey as heck.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by link470 View Post
    That software looks really good. However is there a way to make it a little bit more stealthy and installed hidden? I'm just wondering since it has a system tray icon for the program that it may be tampered with by some users. Is there a way to hide it completely and not give off those balloon message alerts when an event occurs such as someone tried to remote access your computer but wasn't authenticated correctly? I'd like for this to be a silent monitoring solution if possible and allow me to remote access teacher computers to help them if they have a problem as well.

Also, hows the toll on bandwidth?
    Which software are you talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by FN-Greatermanchester View Post
    Behave yourself then ;-)
    I do.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    use abtutor as well. we had some trouble with the latest version and had to downgrade but apart from that its great and the teachers like using it to monitor their own classes.

we mainly use it for some remote admin or to catch kids playing games on the internet unbeknown to their teachers. often find ones tabbing between windows as the teacher walks round the room. its kind of amusing to lock their pc randomly and imagine the panic as suddenly they cant hide their activities at the crucial moment. haha

Thank Post
    Ranger 5.9 =(

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    ABTutor here. Works on Citrix too

Thank Post

VNC

Why not use VNC eg with Official VNCon Website - [Main Page]

theeldergeek
    Quote Originally Posted by siuko View Post
    We have just installed Italc in a few rooms at the school were I work.

It seems to be going down very well with the teachers so far..

And the best bit is its free so you can try it without any problem of costs

Viewing of student screens
    Locking students computers
    Demo of teachers screen to all student computers
    etc etc

Very nice!
    Shame you have to add each PC by IP - going to take quite a while to give each machine a fixed IP in our 30 machine suites, and then in turn input this into the program. It would have been easier to have a list of known clients, and select each one you wanted to add to a 'classroom' or group.

For some reason, when we first connect, there is an awful lot of screen refreshing going on on both client and master, which last about a minute - not an issue per se, but more a 'wonder why it does that'...?

Would also like to see some application control as per LanView.

Nice program though for a straightforward solution

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tx2online View Post
    Shame you have to add each PC by IP - going to take quite a while to give each machine a fixed IP in our 30 machine suites, and then in turn input this into the program. It would have been easier to have a list of known clients, and select each one you wanted to add to a 'classroom' or group.

For some reason, when we first connect, there is an awful lot of screen refreshing going on on both client and master, which last about a minute - not an issue per se, but more a 'wonder why it does that'...?

Would also like to see some application control as per LanView.

Nice program though for a straightforward solution
    You don't have to add PCs by IP Address do you?

I've just seen this thread today and installed it earlier, tried it on one machine, but only added it by name rather than IP... That's a bit better than doing it by IP I guess, but still time consuming.

theeldergeek
    Quote Originally Posted by RichCowell View Post
    You don't have to add PCs by IP Address do you?

I've just seen this thread today and installed it earlier, tried it on one machine, but only added it by name rather than IP... That's a bit better than doing it by IP I guess, but still time consuming.
    hmmm, dunno, but I've uninstalled it now. Simple reason being, that if you are unable to, or don't authenticate properly, your IP address is displayed on the client machine as attempting to connect. Our network manager doesn't want our network's IP addresses on display to students.

Shame, I was enjoying shutting down my colleagues machine!

Thank Post
    You dont need to use IP address, It says IP/Host Name IIRC. I know 100% that you can put host names in that field though, as that is what I do

Also, if you turn balloon notifications off for students then the italc messages dont show. Here I hide the notification area all together.
    Last edited by richard.thomas; 22nd April 2008 at 03:23 PM. Reason: added about balloons

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tx2online View Post
    hmmm, dunno, but I've uninstalled it now. Simple reason being, that if you are unable to, or don't authenticate properly, your IP address is displayed on the client machine as attempting to connect. Our network manager doesn't want our network's IP addresses on display to students.

Shame, I was enjoying shutting down my colleagues machine!
    Have a look at NEWT Freeware - that's awesome for rebooting / shutting down PCs remotely
    I use it when logging on to a machine remotely as myself, so it reboots after a set time, just in case anything happens lol

Thank Post
    Well I did add the computers by ip address which didnt take long to do the 100 or so machines...

You can then use the created globalconfig.xml file to share this with other computers etc..

You can even change the location of the globalconfig.xml via the registry.

Take a look at the italc wiki for further info

If you get stuck give me a shout we have it running ok here.

2 issues since install
    1) Make sure you have plenty of ram 512mb+ on the masters - they dont seem to like less
    2) The tightvnc bug that greys out the username and password field sometimes on the client pcs.

Teachers seem to be liking it so far!

13. Thanks to siuko from:

theeldergeek
    Quote Originally Posted by richard.thomas View Post
    You dont need to use IP address, It says IP/Host Name IIRC. I know 100% that you can put host names in that field though, as that is what I do

Also, if you turn balloon notifications off for students then the italc messages dont show. Here I hide the notification area all together.
    Not sure which is worse looking up the IP or Hostname.... :P

I've uninstalled it now so can't see how you can turn the tips off... is this done on the client, or the master?

I'd like to convince our boss that this program is one to go with, as we can't get LANview to work cross domain...

Thank Post
    Before you purchase, look at Impero. I doubt anything could beat this, and their support is second to none!

coquet636
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-Greatermanchester View Post
    can you set it so teachers can only control one class but IT support can control the whole school? Also how easy is it to setup these keys? Do you have to set it on each machine?

many thanks
    Yes, We use netsupport school for this exact reason. Its not too hard to setup either. We found that setting it up on two computers then getting all the settings correct before putting it on the whole network best, as can be a pain if you dont apply the same settings all at the same time

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast