+ Post New Thread
How do you do....it? Thread, patching quicktime, adobe falash java in Technical; With the likes of sun microsystems (java) adobe (flash & shockwave and player) apple (quicktime) releasing various updates such as ...
    Thank Post

patching quicktime, adobe falash java

With the likes of sun microsystems (java) adobe (flash & shockwave and player) apple (quicktime) releasing various updates such as security updates and upgrades & hotfixes, how do you manage these within your infastructures?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,510 Times in 1,206 Posts
    That's a very good question you ask projector1.

There is no simple way (unfortunately) other than obtaining MSI versions of the applications, then using a tool such as Active Directory to push out the updates to your workstations.

Alternatively, you could write a batch file which could install these plugins silently, which would work similar to MSIs.

Generally what I do is run registry entries silently at logon (for Java for example) which always nags the user when an update is available as follows:

Code:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\JavaSoft\Java Update\Policy]
    "EnableJavaUpdate"=dword:00000000
    Save as DisableJavaUpdate.reg then save it in your NETLOGON share.

In a logon script enter the following:

Code:
    regedit /S \\Servername\NETLOGON\DisableJavaUpdate.reg
    This stops Java nagging the user and allows you to deploy the latest version whenever you like.

The only other thing I can suggest is to always include the latest plugins in new images that you deploy in your network.

3. Thanks to Michael from:

projector1 (11th April 2008)

Thank Post
    thanks for the java note, what hapens here is as soon as they log on the proxy authentication window appears (it could be java or quicktime trying to run their update utility to check for updates)
    I make it standard practise to check for updated drivers and the latest version of these type of apps. We do use GPO's to deploy msi's that you can get from adobe's website.

I was at home the other day and when i logged in a flash window appeared indicating that security update was available ( i know ms sometimes publish flash updates via WSUS but not always!) this made me think how would like deploy this in our environment.
    The same day i got quicktime software updater informing me that updates were available.
    If only ms would allow for other software updates, fixes to be avialable via WSUS!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,510 Times in 1,206 Posts
    You're right, the reason the authentication window appears (more than likely) is because an application (such as Java) or a service wishes to connect to the internet for an update.

The reason I say deploy MSIs, is because generally speaking if you deploy the latest version of a plugin then theoretically it should stop nagging you to update. MSIs are also very efficient, so you don't have to go round and update each machine manually!

Thank Post
    Not the best way i'm sure but if i'm working on a pc and it says it has an update i install it, if not i dont. Then during the holidays i just slowly plod around installing updates, gives me something to do lol.

Thank Post
    As already said get the msi files Adobe require you to fill in a form (take minutes) to get Flash and Shockwave, Jave is easy and so is Adobe Reader if you use the customisation wizard. They always seem to deploy without issue and it's MUCH faster than doing this manually. You can also turn off the update nag which is handy.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread