+ Post New Thread
How do you do....it? Thread, Asus eee laptop internet at home and work in Technical; A school i work in has recently purchased the laptops of the future Asus eee ones. They run a linux ...

Thank Post

Asus eee laptop internet at home and work

A school i work in has recently purchased the laptops of the future Asus eee ones. They run a linux distro and have most essential functions installed on the build. (open office, educational software, internet email etc.)

My question is that as it uses firefox i have had to set up the internet settings so that it uses a manual proxy , which in this case is a cachepilot system.

The internet connects fine, but i assume that once they take it home the proxy settings will remain and the user will not be able to connect to the wireless internet at home.

Is there a way so that these settings can be per wireless connection or some sort of profile which can be loaded, so the user can take it home and get internet there?

Any advice here will be appreciated

Thank Post
    Not automatic but I use switchproxy for firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/125

Some other useful proxy addons:
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/3896
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1557

You might be able to use a PAC file see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proxy_auto-config

I'm sure someone else will chime in with some better ways of doing it...

Cheers
    Jona

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    I second the pac file.
    You can set it to automatically go to the proxy if in the school network, but automatically go direct if in a home network. Also it will work with IE as well.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Is the PAC/ WPAD method slow?

I'd imagine that if the browser couldn't see the file it'd take a while each time before deciding to route via no proxy, if the user was trying to browse from home, for example.

I use a logon script that works via IP range (that I know isn't used in our WAN). I've heard that the PAC method is better and just wanted some confirmation

Thank Post
    A PAC/auto-config script that you set in the browser's options doesn't result in a delay if the browser can find it (ie. execution is pretty quick) but at home you might find a DNS delay.

I use DHCP and a script. Put the auto-config script somewhere useful on the network - ours is on the intranet - and then set option 252 in DHCP to point to it. In the browser just set 'Automatically detect settings'. When the machine fetches a DHCP address it then also knows to use a script, whereas at home it won't get the extra details and will go direct.

When you first launch the browser you'll find a few seconds delay showing the first page, while Windows decides configuration to use, but after that it's seamless.

Thank Post
    Proxy.pac (locally) should be ok, that or something in your if-up scripts to detect the network... bit hacky tho.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by powdarrmonkey View Post
    I use DHCP and a script. Put the auto-config script somewhere useful on the network - ours is on the intranet - and then set option 252 in DHCP to point to it. In the browser just set 'Automatically detect settings'. When the machine fetches a DHCP address it then also knows to use a script, whereas at home it won't get the extra details and will go direct.
    Does this work OK without an ISA server? I read to use this method you had to have an ISA server. We don't have one, so didnt bother looking into it.

Thank Post
    I don't know where you've read that. I don't have one, no. I just refer to the .pac file directly (with an IP-based hostname, to avoid any DNS issues). I'll PM you our script if you like.

Edit: I had forgotten that the eeePC is *nix. All our machines are Windoze, so I don't know how you'll get on. Got to be worth a go though.
    Last edited by powdarrmonkey; 22nd March 2008 at 01:25 AM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread