+ Post New Thread
How do you do....it? Thread, Migrating Netmedia MyMail to Exchange server? in Technical; We currently have our email provided by Netmedia using MyMail. Having grown tired and frustrated with this system we have ...

Thank Post

Migrating Netmedia MyMail to Exchange server?

We currently have our email provided by Netmedia using MyMail. Having grown tired and frustrated with this system we have installed an exchange server. The server installation has gone well but now the fun begins.

We were hoping to pull staff emails across using .pst files and the MyMail settings. Once the existing mail was pulled from the MyMail pop server we would then switch everything to the exchange server and direct all incoming mail through the ES. Voila, nothing lost - everyone happy.

However, staff have tens of folders created in their email accounts containing hundreds (or thousands depending who you listen to) of archived emails. When pulling these into outlook using pop settings it only brings across those in the inbox and not those in other user created folders.

We could force staff to move all their emails back into the inbox and then make them resort them into new folders when they arrive in OUtlook but this is meeting with fierce opposition.

Any help? How would you do it? The move to Outlook is going to happen but we'd rather not p*ss the staff off in the process.

Colin

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,664 Times in 2,261 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Does your provider support IMAP at that will grab all of your folders to and the Exchange Migration Wizard (Start | All Programs | Microsoft Exchange | Migration Wizard) supports it [usage].

Thank Post
    A quick google suggests that is is:

http://website.netmediaeducation.com...=75&p=56,index

Is there any way I can check the IMAP "thingy" works outside of the exchange server?
    Last edited by cstubbs; 17th March 2008 at 09:58 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Checking IMAP should just be a case of setting up your mail client to use IMAP servers instead of POP3. Actually checking the transfer application could probably be accomplished by copying the necessary exe file and running it on a client machine (may need extra dlls) so long as it is not pointing to your exchange server it should error out but still test the connections.

As it is a wizard you should be able to run it up to a point on the server without actually applying it to see if it is going. Short of that, maybe a test account and a Test VM to export to.

I just had a look at it and it looks as if it will do exactly what you are after, you need to provide it a user list with all of the names and passwords that you wish to migrate but I would think that if you can connect to the email via IMAP through a client like outlook then you should definatly be able to use this tool to do the transfer. It looks like you can even stage it, so you can have it do the extract into PSTs and then do the import later.
    Last edited by SYNACK; 17th March 2008 at 10:31 PM. Reason: More info after checking out the app

Thank Post
    The key to getting this working seems to be getting hold of the IMAP settings. Unfortunately I cannot contact NetMedia directly, I have to do it through the LA. They are hopeful they might get back to me by the end of the day!

Does anyone know what a typical IMAP setting might be for MyMail (if of course it exists).

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Try using the same server name that you use for pop3. Chances are they use the same hostname for both as each protocol uses a different port nomber 110 for pop3 and something else for imap. If not, like if the pop3 one is pop3.provider.com try imap.provider.com or mail.provider.com.

Thank Post
    Early echange 2007 had a few issues pulling in PSTs so I made the decision that all previous email could still be accessed for one year in the old eudora/mailgate setup - but this was purely for archive/reference and this legacy mail server was 'inactive'. All new mail would be via OWA. Surprisingly, this was accepted very well. Mainly as the majority of people had tons of old shite that now no longer needed sorting!

Oh, and the reason I got forced (ahead of schedule at least) to go with exchange in-house was....Akhter (grumble grumble)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread