+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
How do you do....it? Thread, Exchange email monitoring in Technical; @Andy: We did start with the freeware versions (30 day trial) but you can up it to 60 days if ...
    Thank Post

Re: Exchange email monitoring

@Andy: We did start with the freeware versions (30 day trial) but you can up it to 60 days if you need to.

We were very impressed with the way they worked and the low number of false positives it returned.

It will take a while for you to configure (setup only takes 5 mins) but once it's up and running you pretty much don't know it's there, untill it lets you know it is ;-)

Thank Post

Cheers,

Looking at the website, after the trial expires, you can still use a limited section of the software - I wondered if you just used this, or payed to keep the full product.

Andy.

Thank Post

We opted to pay for the full software, but my advise would to use the limited freeware for a while and see if it does what you need and then possibly opt for the full product.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    Make them use Outlook Web Access. It will save you alot of time and energy as all it involves is a shortcut on their desktops. This will also remove acess to features and address lists you don't want them to see.
    Can you stop groups of users from seeing certain GALs?

The only way I've found to stop students from spamming the whole school is to disallow mail to the lists from specific user groups - they can still see them though.

Using Ex2007 and OWA.

@RIC_ Do you log in as random students or is there some other method for viewing email accounts? I've been asked to look into doing this but don't know of an easy way (AUP is being modified to accomodate this).

HBJB
    Last edited by Heebeejeebee; 3rd July 2008 at 07:09 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by altecsole View Post
    Has anyone got any suggestions for plugins etc. for monitoring student email? In particular for offensive mails etc.
    As Geoff mentioned, manpower is the issue when it comes to searching through student mailboxes. It's an absolute dog of a task...

One way to simplify this is to set Exchange so that it forwards copies of every email to a specified mailbox (yours?). This makes it easier to scan email content for signs of abuse, but at the expense of effectively halving your storage capacity and taking up a good portion of your time when you check your mail!

If I had a choice I'd get rid of student email entirely...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Busybub View Post
    As Geoff mentioned, manpower is the issue when it comes to searching through student mailboxes. It's an absolute dog of a task...

One way to simplify this is to set Exchange so that it forwards copies of every email to a specified mailbox (yours?). This makes it easier to scan email content for signs of abuse, but at the expense of effectively halving your storage capacity and taking up a good portion of your time when you check your mail!

If I had a choice I'd get rid of student email entirely...
    Journalling is the thing for this - to a restricted account. We keep the last month's emails in a journalled account if they need to be examined - works for us - though as you say it yomps up the disk space.

Thank Post
    We don't do monitoring as such, more content filtering. As already mentioned, we don't have the man power to traul through emails.

I have simply setup a list of common 'offensive' words, typically swear words and the variations on them (sh1t etc etc).

I am using Exchange 2007;

EMC>Org Config>Hub Trans>Antispam>Content filtering

Ben

Thank Post
    Can anyone recommend decent and not too expensive filtering software for Exchange 2003 - to do roughly what the post above does?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12