+ Post New Thread
How do you do....it? Thread, Media Suite in Technical; Hi All, In school we have a media suite consisting of around 20 PC's all running XP and using programs ...
    Thank Post

Media Suite

Hi All,

In school we have a media suite consisting of around 20 PC's all running XP and using programs like adobe premier pro and Photoshop.

At the moment the suite is sitting on its own workgroup and user accounts need to be created for the students as and when they start the course.

The way i would like it is to have all the machines on the domain and have a seperate domain controller on the network that deals with the GPO's and user accounts for just that room.

Also what is a problem they are creating movies that sometimes as big as 6gb and need to be saved and what i dont want to happen is this file to be dragged back up and down the network so i would like a local file store that they can save to.

How would i go about this?

Cheers inadvance

Thank Post
    Do only certain pupils have access to the suite? What about giving everyone access with auto-logon to save problems creating users. That way if you add a NAS server to the switch you could simply create user accounts on that.

Thank Post
    We've recently spent a lot of money on some Mac's and an EditShare for them...

In the past though, we've always had a second HDD in each of the computers which students save all their work too. Worked well... until the drives start to die

I can't see why you haven't linked them into your existing AD Structure...

If you don't want policies etc to apply, then you can "Block Inheritance" and set your own custom GPO's on the OU which contains the computers, only these will apply to those computers then.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lithium View Post
    We've recently spent a lot of money on some Mac's and an EditShare for them...
    Just how much money was that EditShare device? We're thinking of getting a bunch of Macs or PCs for video editing, and a shared video-storage device would be a good idea. I was thinking it would end up too much on the stunningly expensive side, so my current plan is to use external harddrives - each upper-years/sixth form student doing video editing can have an external harddrive of their own for storage, connected either via Firewire or eSATA.

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Not entirely sure... I didn't do any of that stuff, I've just looked at it in quiet admiration

It wasn't all that cheap I remember... pretty scalable too - given that it's a full 3U SAN solution.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,773 Times in 1,529 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fafster View Post
    Do only certain pupils have access to the suite? What about giving everyone access with auto-logon to save problems creating users. That way if you add a NAS server to the switch you could simply create user accounts on that.
    I would also use this method.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread