+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
How do you do....it? Thread, The backup plan in Technical; We want to backup all servers to one tape drive which is located internally in one of the servers. We ...
    kerrymoralee9280

The backup plan

We want to backup all servers to one tape drive which is located internally in one of the servers. We want full backups, of all drives and system states etc.

We used to do this at my old school using Veritas Backup Exec with a snap in I think. Can anybody suggest any software that might do this with links and prices where possibly.

Thanks,

Thank Post
    Can you advise what servers need backing up? i.e are there any SQL/Exchange etc or is it purely file server stuff??

kerrymoralee9280
    It's purely file servers (they act as DHCP and DC's as well).

There is no fancy stuff to do other than the usual open file stuff etc. We used to have SQL I think but that was back in the day of RM Auditor.

Thank Post
    In that case you should be able to use Windows Backup. Just make sure the device and tape capacity can handle the volume of the job.

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Tape really is an old technology, you can buy a 2.5" external 250gb disk for around £100 these days.

Backupexec costs around £600 I think but you might want to add the advanced file open option to that as well.

Thank Post
    We use a disk->disk->tape system with Symantec Veritas.

This way it lets us recover relatively quickly from the disk if necessary.

It will cost you a couple of thousand but well worth it in the long run. I have it in a totally different area of the school completely also so if they was ever a fire in the server room the backup will be OK and vice versa.

kerrymoralee9280
    @Sylv3r: That's the kind of set up I'm pushing for. Ideally I want a server used purely for file serving to run the backups using BackupExec. All the files and system states from the other servers go to this backup server via a NAS box and then on to tape.

We have the tape drive already which holds 320gb, enough to store all the servers. All we will need is an equivelent sized HDD.

I really want to implement this plan but I'm not sure what will happen, which is why I'm looking into alternatives too, so I have a 'backup' backup plan hehe

Thank Post
    I do D>D>T with Backup Exec 12
    Got a server with around 900GB storage (RAID5) which is enough to hold one full backup, and 5 days differential backup.
    I then transfer the full backup to tape using the duplicate feature in BE.

So then Ive got full backups on tape going back a month (plus one for the end of term, end of year etc) and the last full backup still on disk for quick restores

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,365 Times in 1,742 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
    And what happens if you drop this external backup?
    The chance of dropping your external HDD on the same day your servers go down for good is small.

We decided to accept that risk.

The LaCie we have cost less than replacing the full set of tapes... which has to be done on a regular basis because tapes stretch.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    The chance of dropping your external HDD on the same day your servers go down for good is small.

We decided to accept that risk.

The LaCie we have cost less than replacing the full set of tapes... which has to be done on a regular basis because tapes stretch.
    Do you only have one?

We have ten 800GB tapes here that are cycled daily with fridays always being held offsite. We also do every half term full backups that are sent to a [i]different[i] offsite location. Excessive, maybe but i am fairly old school with my backup stategy.

Tapes give me flexibility, and i am also unsure about the current influx of cheap large volume HDD's.

We use Veritas, and restoring files from the previous nights backup takes no more than a matter of minutes.

kerrymoralee9280
    Tapes may be an old technology but they are proven to be robust. I like the fact you can restore work from a HDD in seconds, but I also like the fact I can have backup upon backup with tapes (that are less likely to fail too). For these two reasons, I am wanting to implement a D2D2T backup system.

To me (and all the staff and students as well I would guess) the single most important part of our network is the data that is stored on it. That's why I don't want to take any risks on backups. Remember, there's a law that 'sod' wrote - The day your servers fail will be the day your LaCie fails too. Then where are you left? Begging your SMT not to sack you, that's where.

I've been looking at quotes for BackupExec, about £1000 to cover one server and then 3 other servers with the remote client snap in. Not a bad 'one-off' price to protect everything that matters.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by steele_uk View Post
    Do you only have one?
    We are a tiny school and have a single 2TB LaCie which stores a weekly cycle of backups. It doesn't go offsite as we have 4 separate buildings on a large site and the LaCie is locked in the switch cupboard in the building furthest from the servers - 5 minutes there on foot (10 back cos it's up a steep hill!)

The tapes are expensive and were replaced annually and our HP tape drive unreliable (2 failures in 18 months)

Quote Originally Posted by kerrymoralee9280 View Post
    Then where are you left? Begging your SMT not to sack you, that's where.
    As this solution was put in place after lengthy discussions with the SMT about affordability and risks, I'm not worried. I would be surprised if anyone had put a backup solution in place without similar discussions about acceptable risks.
    Last edited by elsiegee40; 13th March 2008 at 02:07 PM.

kerrymoralee9280
    We are a tiny school and have a single 2TB LaCie ...
    So you wouldn't recommend this for a network of our size? 4 servers and about 800 users?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kerrymoralee9280 View Post
    So you wouldn't recommend this for a network of our size? 4 servers and about 800 users?
    It works for us, it should work for you, but it would be up to you AND YOUR SMT to make a decision about where acceptable risk crosses the affordability line.

I've found tapes to be nothing but trouble. Replacing them every 12 months is no guarantee they'll be readable when you need them.

If you want belt and braces have TWO External HDDs and swap them or keep them in separate locations!

Thank Post
    We are a tiny school and have a single 2TB LaCie which stores a weekly cycle of backups. It doesn't go offsite as we have 4 separate buildings on a large site and the LaCie is locked in the switch cupboard in the building furthest from the servers
    This is along the plan that i'm working on for over the summer, though maybe 2 in 2 different buildings. i know our backups aren't up to scratch, 2 servers dont even have tape drives all to save money you understand

Do you use the networked LaCie of that size, if so which one do you have, how have you set it up? Simple windows backup to mapped drive?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast