+ Post New Thread
How do you do....it? Thread, Laptops on a CC3 domain in Technical; Ok so im at the point of hair being pulled out. Let me explain: We have around 150 laptops currently ...

Thank Post

Laptops on a CC3 domain

Ok so im at the point of hair being pulled out. Let me explain:

We have around 150 laptops currently not on the domain, We would like to do this. Now the big problem:

RM

There Establishments OU is an OU that we dare not touch, One because knowing our luck it would break something and 2 because we simply arent allowed to (As per bosses instructions)

Created a new OU Structure Like the following:

DOMAINNAME
    ----NON RM
    ---------------Staff Laptops
    ---------------Science Tablets
    ----Establishments
    ---------------CDE
    ---------------------Associates
    ---------------------Locations
    ---------------------Students
    ---------------------Teachers
    Etc Etc

The way i have done it is to put the computer account in to my Staff Laptops OU, Block Policy Inheritance, Make it no overide, And add all the settings i want to the new policy,

Great i thought, Now i will test this with an account i made that just so happens to be in the same Staff Laptops OU. Logon and its perfect, Everything the way i want it.

Now to try with an RM account that sits in the Teachers area of the Active Directory. RM GPO's are following the user account, User Type, Station setting which are chucking out some horrid messages.

My partner in crime sugested we Add the deny permission to the establishments OU for the computer account in our Staff Laptops OU. This works great for blocking computer settings but not great for User Seetings. Is there anyway that i can leave the accounts in the Establishments OU and not make it so that the RM GPO's follow them out side the Establishemtns GPO?

I have turned on Allow Local Profiles Only as well and still no joy.

Any help/Advice and how you do it would be great

Barry Leonard

P.S Im now of to the FFS!! Corner....

Thank Post

Re: Laptops on a CC3 domain

It sounds like there are settings in the 'User Settings' part of the GPO which you don't want to run - however, I guess you need these when you log onto the CC3 machines.

I think that you could maybe move all the users out of the RM OU and then use loopback processing on the RM OUs to apply the user settings when the user logs onto a CC3 machine.

I'm not an expert on loopback policy processing so maybe somebody else could advise?

Thank Post

Any reason not to put CC3 on laptops using SmartCliet?

I'll have a go tomorrow at doing what your doing and see if i can sus it!

Mike

Thank Post

Thanks for the replys so far

@mloveless,

We can't really put them all on CC3 as this would have BIG costing rather than just the 6.80 i pay for a domain CAL.

Really want to get this to work so i can say HAH i did it, It works and its better than CC3 :P at a few people

Barry

Thank Post

I know what you mean. MCSE here and cant see why we need cc3 when you can do it all with microsoft!

Thank Post

one last thing, what computer policies are you setting. in my experience you shouldnt need to set any. everything should come down from the user!

I've just tested it and other than mapped drives printers and a shared desktop error it all worked fine.

first to you just add a logon script for the users (this will be ignored by CC3)

Thank Post

OK looked into this further. For some reason if you add a script to logon it hangs (not sure why will look at this for you)

The error message to do with shared desktop is that rm cc3 uses desktop agent not folder redirection. edit the user type in ad so that it has folder redirection for the desktop and start menu. In both set redirection as basic. Also you will need to create a folder on H drive is probably best called policies or settings or something like that. Share it with a $ and ensure all users have read access. Create a folder within it called Desktop and StartMenu. Within the GPO relocate to these folders. Also on the setting tab untick Grant the user exclusive rights to Desktop/Start Menu and Move content of Desktop/Start Menu to the new location.

You can now control what they have in the sart menu and on the desktop the same like rm's Desktop Agent does.

Like i said earlier all security setting and even internet setting should be set by the user and the only things computers should be assigned are packages.

Note: Folder redirection is ignore/overrided by desktop agent so it works fine when logging on to CC3 network.

Note 2: within start menu create a folder called programs and put all icons/folders in that.

Hope this helps

Mike

Thank Post

Thanks for all your hard work guys, Spent most of my morning thinking about this and played further with Group Policy Loopback and blocking, In the end turned the above feature on, then Denied Access to the RM OU for the computer accounts that i don't want RM on,

Works perfect, Just got to sort out some Sync stuff along with Shared desktops, Start menu then im going to present it as an idea for more secure, Easier to manage and use laptops for teachers.

For my own reasons i thought it would be better to put all NON RM stuff on its own logical drive, This works well as you can play with permissions until heart is content along with AD and it feels like your administering a real network for a just a few minutes.

Even though its all done and WORKING they will still say no. Seems to be all my hard work is for nothing at the moment...

Once again thanks for all your help

Barry

Thank Post

@barryfl: I'd lead with "I've come up with a way of saving £10K on licenses for these new licenses..." followed by "... I've configured a couple and will ask a couple of staff to try them out for a week or so to see if they notice any difference in how they work" so that it looks like you are considering the teachers and the £10K bit will stop them saying no before you can draw breath.

... when they notice no difference you will be well on your way to ditching CC3 :P

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread