+ Post New Thread
How do you do....it? Thread, Grab Knowledgebox content in Technical; Hi, i wonder if anyone can help, we have a 'knowledgebox' from pearson broadband installed in our school, the problem ...
    Thank Post

Unhappy Grab Knowledgebox content

Hi, i wonder if anyone can help, we have a 'knowledgebox' from pearson broadband installed in our school, the problem i have is :-

I would like to 'grab' some of the flash content, and save it so it can be viewed offline.
    I have tried lots of website grabbers, but so far none have worked, despite each of the webpages on knowledgebox that have flash video/interactive content, opening and working in internet explorer.
    I have asked their 'tech support' and all i have recieved is "perhaps we can make that a feature for the future" in other words - go away.

The machine is accesed by http://(ip address):9000, so i dont know if it is the port that is stopping the website grabbers from working?

Any info on this box would be helpful

thanks

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by farmerste View Post
    I would like to 'grab' some of the flash content, and save it so it can be viewed offline.
    What sort of content, exactly, is this - just Flash videos, or interactive SWF files of some sort? Either way, you after viewing a web page you should find all of the resources cached in your browser cache. Your best bet is probably to clear your browser cache of files whilst viewing the page you want to get stuff from, then hit refresh on your browser, then see what winds up in your cache folder. Flash videos should be easy enough, but interactive SWFs might expect to find data from files or scripts server-side. You can try looking at the traffic going between your browser and the server, but that's getting a bit over the top - probably less trouble to simply re-create the content. What, exactly, is the content you're trying to grab?

The machine is accesed by http://(ip address):9000
    Do you mean a local IP address - is the server floating around on your system somewhere?

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post

what i have found

firstly the 'knowledgebox' is a local device, kept in my 'cupboard'

the content i am trying to grab, is .swf, but i suspect some is .flv

Thank Post
    As the content for your Knowledge box is already stored on a hard drive inside your school cache pilot type box, the content is already "offline" in regard to the internet, it's just moving around your internal network.

I imagine grabbing content to put onto disc or off site machines would be feasilbe by getting into the box content using Putty.

You may have copywrite and reverse engineering rules to worry about then though?

Thank Post

putty acess

i can telnet to the box using putty, but none of the username/passwords i have will give me access.
    i can get most of the movies/content from internet explorer files, but what i didnt understand was why i could not grab the web page i was looking at.
    i suspect it is due to the port being 9000 , and the grab software not working with this.
    just a shame i cant recreate the webpages offline, so they look the same,
    still, i'm content with i.e files for now.

thanks for your input

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread