How do you do....it? Thread, Google Earth.msi in Technical; Finally updated Google Earth!
After much searching have found that the use of the Windows Installer Clean Up utility enabled ...
10th February 2008, 01:22 PM #1
- Rep Power
Finally updated Google Earth!
After much searching have found that the use of the Windows Installer Clean Up utility enabled the download of the latest version of Google Earth.
1. Download Clean Up utility from Microsoft site.
2. Run utility and select Google Earth (DON'T CLICK ON ANYTHING ELSE!!), Google Earth will be highlighted and you can then click "remove".
3. You will find that GE has now been removed from the 'ADD/REMOVE' program list but not the Start/Programs list.
4. Go to GE site and click DOWNLOAD. This should now work (the error message for not finding the msi. file should not appear).
5. The new software will overwrite so you will still see some of the old files as they have not needed to be replaced (presumably).
6. Run the new GE. It will have 2008 copyright.
11th February 2008, 07:37 AM #2
Thanks for this.
I think it's worth highlighting what the clean up utility does - as you say, it removes an app from ARP but it doesn't remove it from the start menu, hard disc or registry.
Its benefit is that if an app won't install because it says you have a previous version etc installed then this will clean up the MSI database which says what's installed. If you really do need to remove the app (eg because there's a wrong registry setting) then this won't help but I've found it very useful in the past when an old version of an app wants a .MSI file which I no longer have and won't remove without it.
15th February 2008, 04:59 PM #3
- Rep Power
Thanks for that - I suppose you could always uninstall it afterwards? Incidentally, how would you use URL to do the Google download?
Originally Posted by jwood
By ZeroHour in forum Educational Software
Last Post: 21st October 2009, 03:34 PM
By russdev in forum Educational Software
Last Post: 6th October 2009, 08:06 PM
By Geoff in forum General Chat
Last Post: 13th November 2006, 07:40 PM
By Inox in forum Educational Software
Last Post: 25th July 2005, 04:12 PM
By ninjabeaver in forum Downloads
Last Post: 14th July 2005, 02:55 PM
Users Browsing this Thread
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)