+ Post New Thread
How do you do....it? Thread, Viglen Classlink in Technical; OCR level 2 Nationals requires students to create directories and shortcuts, the students are locked down in that they cant ...

Thank Post

Viglen Classlink

OCR level 2 Nationals requires students to create directories and shortcuts, the students are locked down in that they cant right click and dont have access to file menus!
    any ideas?

Thank Post
    You could create a new organisational unit and allow that OU to right click and access the file menus?

Edit: If your network is still supported by Viglen then you might want to call their Classlink support before making any changes, just to make sure that any changes you make won't affect the support agreement. I don't see how it would but just to be on the safe side.
    Last edited by Edu-IT; 30th January 2008 at 10:23 AM.

Thank Post
    AFAIK there is no requirements for shortcuts... allowing shortcuts can open up vulnerabilities too.

To create folders, you could just use the 'new folder' button in the save dialogues or the task view of folders.

PEO
    Thank Post
    classlink 7 here.

I've setup vmware player with xp. Yeh ok it requires additional xp licences but it works for us. kids can drag files back and forth between desktops

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jwood View Post
    So what if a student creates a shortcut to the C drive, finds some files and deletes them? Just re-image the machine.
    Personally I would find that tedious after a while. If I class has 30 pupils and 15 start messing with the C drive then that is 15 computers which need to be re-imaged. While it doesn't take long to re-image a computer it does mean that nobody else can use them while this is being done so unless you have enough computers then it'll mean some kids won't have access to a computer. I can't see the kids or the staff being happy about that so if that means shortcuts have to be disabled then that is what I would prefer to do.

Of course not every pupil will want to start messing with the C drive but you get the idea.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jwood View Post
    You'd probably be shocked to learn that our students are local administrators, can right click in folders, make shortcuts and run any executable. The fact is they have to, as many of them are computing students who create their own visiual basic projects.
    Seen this discussion elsewhere and I still can't bring myself to give the students admin rights to the local machine. All our users run as standard users but they do have modify access to places like Program Files.

Sits nicely in the middle.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread