+ Post New Thread
How do you do....it? Thread, ActiveX for IE7 through Group policy in Technical; Hi This is driving me nuts and the staff are on my back... I want to allow students to install ...

Thank Post

Exclamation ActiveX for IE7 through Group policy

Hi

This is driving me nuts and the staff are on my back...

I want to allow students to install an ActiveX component from our VLE service provider.

I recentley upgraded the ADM for internet explorer in group policy and I have tried to play around with the settings, but still not been able to apply the settings that allow the students to install the ActiveX component.

When I mean students not being to install the ActiveX component, I mean that the prompt does not appear (the blue bar in IE7) on their screens.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,067 Times in 624 Posts
    Not sure if it helps but I had something similar when I installed the espresso box on our network - it would not [ after GP settings were set ] enter the intranet zone for local addresses which I placed in the GP. [ If it didn't then I would get the annoying popup box everytime they went to a page that had video on ]
    I say it wouldn't, sometimes it would depending on what page / site the user visited first. I ended up forcing through a script the relevant settings so if the user wanted to use espresso it forced the settings I needed - let me know if you want to see the script - its basic and done in AutoIT.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mattx View Post
    Not sure if it helps but I had something similar when I installed the espresso box on our network - it would not [ after GP settings were set ] enter the intranet zone for local addresses which I placed in the GP. [ If it didn't then I would get the annoying popup box everytime they went to a page that had video on ]
    I say it wouldn't, sometimes it would depending on what page / site the user visited first. I ended up forcing through a script the relevant settings so if the user wanted to use espresso it forced the settings I needed - let me know if you want to see the script - its basic and done in AutoIT.

I would be really grateful if you could show me the script, if it works then at least I would get some breathing space.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,067 Times in 624 Posts
    As requested:

Code:
    ; AutoIt Version:  	3.2.0.1
    ; Language:        	English
    ; Platform:        	WinXP
    ; Author:          	Matt 
    ; Script Function: 	Launches Espresso after making relevant proxy over-ride settings
    ; Version:			0.5 Beta 1
    ; Date:				Dec 2007

RegWrite("HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main", "First Home Page", "REG_SZ", "http://10.0.0.8")
    			RegWrite("HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main", "Start Page", "REG_SZ", "http://10.0.0.8")
    			RegWrite("HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings", "ProxyServer", "REG_SZ", "0.0.0.0:0000")
    			RegWrite("HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings", "Proxyenable", "REG_DWORD", "1")
    			RegWrite("HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings", "ProxyOverride", "REG_SZ", "intranet;http://10.*;espresso;10.0.0.8")
    			Run('C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe')
    Note: This changes the registry settings and then launches IE, so I have this pointing at a shortcut for espresso [ like a URL shortcut on a desktop ]
    Its also compiled into an .exe - obviously you will have to change the relevant settings for your network and compile it yourself.

[ 0.0.0.0:0000 ] your proxy - just disguising ours !!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mattx View Post
    As requested:

Code:
    ; AutoIt Version:  	3.2.0.1
    ; Language:        	English
    ; Platform:        	WinXP
    ; Author:          	Matt 
    ; Script Function: 	Launches Espresso after making relevant proxy over-ride settings
    ; Version:			0.5 Beta 1
    ; Date:				Dec 2007

RegWrite("HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main", "First Home Page", "REG_SZ", "http://10.0.0.8")
    			RegWrite("HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main", "Start Page", "REG_SZ", "http://10.0.0.8")
    			RegWrite("HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings", "ProxyServer", "REG_SZ", "0.0.0.0:0000")
    			RegWrite("HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings", "Proxyenable", "REG_DWORD", "1")
    			RegWrite("HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings", "ProxyOverride", "REG_SZ", "intranet;http://10.*;espresso;10.0.0.8")
    			Run('C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe')
    Note: This changes the registry settings and then launches IE, so I have this pointing at a shortcut for espresso [ like a URL shortcut on a desktop ]
    Its also compiled into an .exe - obviously you will have to change the relevant settings for your network and compile it yourself.

[ 0.0.0.0:0000 ] your proxy - just disguising ours !!

Thanks for the script - I run a very similar one here too. This puts the proxy settings in for the user.

Would you have a script which applies the ActiveX controller into IE7?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread