+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
How do you do....it? Thread, Recording TV programs for Teachers in Technical; We have just been asked to record TV shows onto DVDs so that teachers can show them through their laptops/projectors. ...
    Thank Post

Recording TV programs for Teachers

We have just been asked to record TV shows onto DVDs so that teachers can show them through their laptops/projectors.

Does any other tech department within a secondary school do this and by what means do you do it?
    As we get terrible TV reception here my argument would be to have Sky+ installed so we can record easily.

What are peoples thoughts?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    our 'resources' (reprographics) department deals with that... we don't have anything to do with recording programmes.

Thank Post
    Get a PC with a big hard drive and stick a TV tuner card in that can pick up Satellite (I've a Haupauge HVR3000 at home - its tri-band - analogue, digital and satellite) and use that - or have a look at the Topfield recorders which are top notch.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,781 Times in 1,105 Posts
    Blog Entries
    ERA folks ... there are enough threads around to warn you about what can and can't be copied to DVD from video.

Sky and Virgin both do deals for schools.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Paid_Peanuts View Post
    We have just been asked to record TV shows onto DVDs so that teachers can show them through their laptops/projectors.

Does any other tech department within a secondary school do this and by what means do you do it?
    As we get terrible TV reception here my argument would be to have Sky+ installed so we can record easily.

What are peoples thoughts?
    We use a media centre in the LRC, with Webguide (http://www.asciiexpress.com/webguide/)setup on it, so they access the mediacentre via web interface and can schedule their own recordings.

Also on the mediacentre we use a piece of software that watches for recordings, converts them from dvrms to something less network intensive (divx for example) then moves them onto a NAS where teachers can access directly. Seems to work fine.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,891 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This has been the realm of our Librarian in the past, however there haven't been any requests for show to be recorded for over a year now...

Thank Post
    get them to record their own bl**dy programmes!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,421 Posts
    If you had sky plus the only way of putting them onto dvd would be to hook up a dvd to the scart and manually play on the sky+ while recording onto a dvd recorder.

If the programs you want to record are not on ITV or 5 then a pvr sat box with a dish pointed at 28e would be good.

Ben

Thank Post
    klawd: that looks good, did you buy/build your media centre?

Ben

Thank Post
    I too am interested in the spec of media centre PC and how you have this setup (in terms of automaitcally converting to Divx and moving to NAS) as i think its about as close as were going to get instead of telling teachers to:
    "record their own bl**dy programs"

Thank Post

ClickView

I checked this out at BETT
    http://www.clickview.co.uk/

It will apparently record live tv for a week and then select a program to make it available to a class (uses ldap). You need to buy several different modules to do what I have described.

Its a software only solution but is quite pricey and is an annual cost.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by plexer View Post
    klawd: that looks good, did you buy/build your media centre?

Ben
    I decided it was probably easy to buy rather build. We bought an Acer Aspire, with dual digital tuners, loads on inputs and outputs, card readers, dvdrw.

We also use it as a digital display using some custom software during the breaktimes.

Thank Post
    Klawd: so in essence you bought a media centre then installed that other software on it plugged some aerials into it and now your teachers can schedule and watch terrestrial digital tv anywhere on the network?

Ben

Thank Post
    Thats right.

I use the webguide software for scheduling and recording. You can get a free version but I registered as it was cheap and worked exactly as it says it does.

Videos are recorded into dvrms format, which can be played in windows media player, but the files are huge, especially HD content. So I use another free piece of software called dvrmstoolbox which runs as a service and can be scheduled to convert your recordings into another format. We use divx, whichg makes the files easier on the network. DVRMSTOOLBOX can encode from a source folder to a different destination then remove the original, so we encode them to a NAS server so we dont run out of space.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DarrenM View Post
    I checked this out at BETT
    http://www.clickview.co.uk/

It will apparently record live tv for a week and then select a program to make it available to a class (uses ldap). You need to buy several different modules to do what I have described.

Its a software only solution but is quite pricey and is an annual cost.
    You're a bit muddled there. ClickView do a few products; one a media server system and another is their 24/7 recorder.

We have both, the server working quite well (a couple of niggles) but the 24/7 is causing some grief as we have yet to get it to sync with time servers. These are a requirement of the system.

The ERA licence allows recording of Free To Air television both within the school, and by staff at home, for use within the school.

There is new ERA+ licence that allows for the sharing of digitally saved media between licensed establishments. So new that when we asked about it, the ERA asked how we'd found out about it. ClickView had pointed us at the ERA web site.

If we can get this all working, it will be a stunning use for ICT in schools.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast