+ Post New Thread
How do you do....it? Thread, Local profiles in Technical; I would like to change all our pupil accounts from roaming profiles to a local mandatory profile, this is mostly ...
    Thank Post

Local profiles

I would like to change all our pupil accounts from roaming profiles to a local mandatory profile, this is mostly to speed up logon times. However I have never has cause to do this in my short IT career and was hoping some of you pros might talk me through it, Where to pot the profile on the local machine etc.
    Hope you can help.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,162 Times in 987 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Why not just use group policies and folder re-direction? Problem solved.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    Why not just use group policies and folder re-direction? Problem solved.
    ... and if that 'talk through' wasn't quite detailed enough, there is a guide to the various options for profiles and associated options on the wiki here

Thank Post
    I created a single profile for kids by logging onto a machine and setting all the regkeys (that I knew of) for specific apps. For the apps I wasn't sure of I either tested them in VMWare Workstation to find out which regkeys were needed to get an app working the correct way or I ran the app on the computer and made the changes within the app (whilst still logged on as the test user account I was using to create the kids profile for) which as you probably guessed are saved as regkeys in the profile (HKCU). Then I log off the computer, copy the profile up to the server and call the folder 'kidsdefaultprofile', I think I used the netlogon share. Rename the file ntuser.dat to ntuser.man that resides in the profile folder (this is a hidden file). Point all kids to use this profile by adjusting their user account property for 'profile path' in AD.

That's the very sketchy and general idea version of creating a single mandatory profile for multiple users anyway. I works well, i have a list of regkeys and I know exactly what needs to go into the kids profile should I ever have to make it again.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread