+ Post New Thread
How do you do....it? Thread, Veeam & Windows 2012 Dedup Question in Technical; We currently run Veeam and have a storage repository sitting on a Windows 2012 box and I am trying to ...

Thank Post

Veeam & Windows 2012 Dedup Question

We currently run Veeam and have a storage repository sitting on a Windows 2012 box and I am trying to get my head around the way we should configure the jobs to save as much space as possible.

Originally we had setup the job with the default Optimal Compression but reading around (a little while ago)I saw that you could achieve some impressive compression combing that with Window 2012 Dedup feature. We never implemented this and as we are using lots of space for storing of our backups I've come back to look at the setup needed to get both Veeam and Windows dedup features to work together. However I'm getting very confused as to what we can do as there doesn't seem to be a best practice from what I can see.

From what I have read having Windows Dedup on the main backup repository is not recommended as it can impact on restore times, but as I am happy for restores to take a little longer (it's mostly file restore which mostly isn't urgent) if it means I can save more space.

If I change the jobs from Veeam Compression Optimal to DeDup Friendly compression and save it on a Windows 2012 Deduped drive can I save more space without impacting no the backup/restore times too much?

Thank Post
    OK, I've done *very* quick testing and it seems if I change the Veeam job to Dedup friendly the initial size of the veeam backup file is quite a bit larger than the original one where Veeam does the compression. However, if I then apply Windows 2012 dedup on the drive it reduces the amount of space taken to just slightly larger then the original Veeam compressed file. The big advantage though seems to be that subsequent Full backups can then be Deduped resulting in 2 full backups being only slightly bigger than 1 Veeam compressed file. Now I just need to test this on a few systems to see how much of a difference it makes.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread