+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
How do you do....it? Thread, Setting up a new network in Technical; Well I have to admit companies like Cisco, Extreme and Dlink (Never thought I'd see those three in the same ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Re: Setting up a new network

Well I have to admit companies like Cisco, Extreme and Dlink (Never thought I'd see those three in the same sentance) have management boxes, so that instead of each AP being logged into and managing its connections they are all connected back to a central location and managed from there.

This speeds up logins (Authorise and Authentication too) also means if anyone steals them they are useless as there is no software on them at all for management so with th central switch they are just a lot of scrap. The other good points would be the fact that it will automatically load balance if you add another AP in a room this means you can tell the management console and it will load balance them across also if it detects one as gone down it will load balance the remaining ones.
    ps
    Terminal Services would help with this as well 20kbps for each connection with the software already setup for a less reliable connection (I.E. used originally for dial up modems) 35 x 20 = 700kb so most of your system would be free for other things. Have to look at the remote viewing software though I haven't tried anything yet if the board of governors grant me the budget this year I'll be testing it out in the next 3 months as a full departmental trial I think MFL got the short straw

Wes

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Re: Setting up a new network

Okay having just realised I actually started this thread last year (at roughly the same time) I better get up to speed, the wireless laptop setup died a death very quickly they do work but the login times are unbelievably long they don't drop connections once made though which is good however you can only login about 8 at a time so this is unacceptable. I am now looking at CITRIX as some of you already know after reading RIC_'s comments it really is a good idea I will certainly need to sort it out soon I am looking at roughly 25 clients in a new wireless setup using citrix and precedence ThinIT hopefully we should be happy with the system it will certainly use less bandwidth about 500kbps I think so no trouble there I will need to look at a few things over the next few months but if this does work I'll be sorting out licensing to bring it on to a bigger scale to start with replacing one of our IT suites with Thin Clients and another with Mobile units not sure where to go if it doesn't though. My supplier of the kit and software will be doing the install and of course supporting me remotely as for the licensing see my post

Windows Licensing

Looking into the future and seeing CITRIX licensing costs and MS et cetera I have to admit I am a little worried about cost however seeing as we have only got to add licenses and servers as power demands increase instead of several IT Suites I can't see this being an issue at all.

We have only 3 IT Suites at present because of the size of our school and an RBL centre in the library if I replaced all of them it would cost about £40,000 to give the pupils access at home and in school using their own laptops or PCs it would cost in citrix licenses alone about £95,000 however one would repalce less than 100 machines the other would allow for 750 simultaneous connections to our network. I think I can see the beenfit here of CITRIX and terminal services.

Wes

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12