+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17
How do you do....it? Thread, Creating bootable OS ISOs in Technical; Im being really thick here and cant seem to create ISOs so I can boot from them to install a ...
  1. #1
    hardtailstar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    2,077
    Thank Post
    672
    Thanked 308 Times in 258 Posts
    Rep Power
    73

    Creating bootable OS ISOs

    Im being really thick here and cant seem to create ISOs so I can boot from them to install a fresh OS on a computer

    Ive tried various amounts of programs to do it but none seem to work.

    I have the ISO of the operating system but it just dosent seem to work at being created to a bootable disk.

    The OS was downloaded from MS Volume Licensing portal.

    The furthest I have got is into the windows setup but then it says that files are missing.

    Any ideas and help would be great!

    Thanks
    Last edited by hardtailstar; 4th August 2014 at 03:14 PM.

  2. #2

    tmcd35's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Norfolk
    Posts
    6,069
    Thank Post
    902
    Thanked 1,013 Times in 825 Posts
    Blog Entries
    9
    Rep Power
    350
    This has been my favourite ISO burner for a while:

    The Official ImgBurn Website

    If the CD/DVD is booting but has corruptions perhaps there's a quality problem with the media being used? If you've got the ISO from VLSC it should be complete, I've never had a problem.

    The only other issue I can think of is if the Motherboard has an unknown hard drive controller, or you are using RAID, then you's need to have a USB memory stick with the additional drivers plugged in when you boot the OS Installer (I think Win 7 picks the drivers up automagically if it sees the pen stick - but don't quote me on that, Win XP you had to push F6 at the right point in setup to load the drivers.)

  3. Thanks to tmcd35 from:

    hardtailstar (4th August 2014)

  4. #3


    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    51.403651, -0.515458
    Posts
    9,807
    Thank Post
    262
    Thanked 2,968 Times in 2,183 Posts
    Rep Power
    847
    Quote Originally Posted by hardtailstar View Post
    I have the ISO of the operating system but it just doesn't seem to work at being created to an ISO.
    Why would you need to create an ISO of an ISO?

    Have you verified the SHA-1 checksum to make sure the ISO isn't corrupt?
    Last edited by Arthur; 4th August 2014 at 03:11 PM.

  5. Thanks to Arthur from:

    hardtailstar (4th August 2014)

  6. #4

    plexer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Norfolk
    Posts
    13,689
    Thank Post
    756
    Thanked 1,715 Times in 1,526 Posts
    Rep Power
    438
    You just burn the downloaded iso to a disc and boot from it? if that doesn't work your d/l is corrupt.

    Ben

  7. Thanks to plexer from:

    hardtailstar (4th August 2014)

  8. #5
    hardtailstar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    2,077
    Thank Post
    672
    Thanked 308 Times in 258 Posts
    Rep Power
    73
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    Why would you need to create an ISO of an ISO?

    Have you verified the SHA-1 checksum to make sure the ISO isn't corrupt?
    typo,

    I meant bootable disk

  9. #6
    hardtailstar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    2,077
    Thank Post
    672
    Thanked 308 Times in 258 Posts
    Rep Power
    73
    Quote Originally Posted by plexer View Post
    You just burn the downloaded iso to a disc and boot from it? if that doesn't work your d/l is corrupt.

    Ben
    tried that, was on disc but not booting from disk.

    I'll try an create another one by downloading it again and see.

  10. #7
    hardtailstar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    2,077
    Thank Post
    672
    Thanked 308 Times in 258 Posts
    Rep Power
    73
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    This has been my favourite ISO burner for a while:

    The Official ImgBurn Website

    If the CD/DVD is booting but has corruptions perhaps there's a quality problem with the media being used? If you've got the ISO from VLSC it should be complete, I've never had a problem.

    The only other issue I can think of is if the Motherboard has an unknown hard drive controller, or you are using RAID, then you's need to have a USB memory stick with the additional drivers plugged in when you boot the OS Installer (I think Win 7 picks the drivers up automagically if it sees the pen stick - but don't quote me on that, Win XP you had to push F6 at the right point in setup to load the drivers.)
    That was one of the ones I tried that didnt work.

    Installing Win 8.1 Enterprise.

  11. #8

    Ric_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    7,601
    Thank Post
    110
    Thanked 771 Times in 599 Posts
    Rep Power
    183
    You did try the Microsoft tool? Microsoft Store

  12. Thanks to Ric_ from:

    hardtailstar (4th August 2014)

  13. #9
    hardtailstar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    2,077
    Thank Post
    672
    Thanked 308 Times in 258 Posts
    Rep Power
    73
    Quote Originally Posted by Ric_ View Post
    You did try the Microsoft tool? Microsoft Store
    yeah but it didnt like that either.

    Its doing my noggin in!

    Ive created disks before!
    Last edited by hardtailstar; 4th August 2014 at 03:43 PM.

  14. #10

    LeMarchand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    The deepest pits of hell
    Posts
    2,600
    Thank Post
    327
    Thanked 420 Times in 293 Posts
    Rep Power
    223
    If you have a W8 machine, can you double click the icon to mount it? If that works, it would suggest ISO is OK.

  15. #11

    tmcd35's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Norfolk
    Posts
    6,069
    Thank Post
    902
    Thanked 1,013 Times in 825 Posts
    Blog Entries
    9
    Rep Power
    350
    How old is the PC? BIOS or EFI? I've seen a Win8 compatibility option in a lot of new BIOSes, not sure what it does, but might be needed if you haven't checked it already.

  16. #12
    hardtailstar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    2,077
    Thank Post
    672
    Thanked 308 Times in 258 Posts
    Rep Power
    73
    Thanks all for the above,

    I have reburnt to same disc and all is working

  17. #13
    cpjitservices's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Hessle
    Posts
    2,605
    Thank Post
    544
    Thanked 301 Times in 277 Posts
    Rep Power
    85
    You are selecting a boot menu on boot up - and chosing the Optical disk drive... right ?

    Or go into BIOS and change boot options to boot from CD first.


    Quote Originally Posted by hardtailstar View Post
    yeah but it didnt like that either.

    Its doing my noggin in!

    Ive created disks before!

  18. #14

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    483
    Thank Post
    64
    Thanked 72 Times in 59 Posts
    Rep Power
    35
    Nobody's mentioned Yumi yet - not just good for linux stuff, I installed W7 from it the other day.

  19. #15
    hardtailstar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    2,077
    Thank Post
    672
    Thanked 308 Times in 258 Posts
    Rep Power
    73
    Quote Originally Posted by cpjitservices View Post
    You are selecting a boot menu on boot up - and chosing the Optical disk drive... right ?

    Or go into BIOS and change boot options to boot from CD first.
    yeah, It was the usb disk drive causing issues and still is,

    Created a second disk and thats having same issues as the first disk.

    Tried just attaching it to a working pc to play a cd and install office and still having issues with it,

    so new usb disk dive needed!



SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Create bootable image
    By hargz in forum Windows Server 2000/2003
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 7th December 2009, 08:19 PM
  2. Creating an os 10.5 server replica
    By mactech03 in forum Mac
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 9th November 2008, 12:52 AM
  3. Create Default OS X home dir via AD
    By nmaccadmins in forum Mac
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12th June 2008, 09:26 AM
  4. creat bootable usb ghost drive
    By PEO in forum Windows
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 2nd May 2008, 04:19 PM
  5. Creating Bootable Ghost Image on CD
    By sLiDeR in forum Windows
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 17th August 2007, 10:59 AM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •