+ Post New Thread
How do you do....it? Thread, Hybrid Hard Drive installation in Technical; Hello all, Just ordered one of these for someone as part of a new PC... Seagate 2TB Desktop 3.5inch 8GB ...
    Thank Post

Hybrid Hard Drive installation

Hello all,
    Just ordered one of these for someone as part of a new PC...
    Seagate 2TB Desktop 3.5inch 8GB SSD SSHD - Ebuyer

Just wonder if there is anything I have to do to get it working as a hybrid correctly? Does Windows just figure it out? Seagate seem to claim its software free and am assuming the processing is done onboard the hard drive but pointers would be welcome.

Thanks all

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,081 Times in 997 Posts
    From reading around the hdd deals with all of it. The most used data is stored in the 8gb ssd flash which allows the hdd to catch up and read or write what it needs to

Job done. How much difference it makes, well. Let us know !!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    It's handled entirely by the drive. No setup aside from plugging the thing in is required. I have one of the 2.5" models in my old MacBook at home.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Norphy View Post
    It's handled entirely by the drive. No setup aside from plugging the thing in is required. I have one of the 2.5" models in my old MacBook at home.
    Presumably with the drive having 8gb ssd flash , may help setting the SATA Mode to AHCI in the BIOS / UEFI and getting the relevant AHCI Drivers installed on the OS ?
    Last edited by mac_shinobi; 1st August 2014 at 08:54 AM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    That would enable some SATA features such as hotswapping and NCQ but would make no difference in terms of the drive's caching to flash ability.

The drive isn't presented as two discrete drives, the firmware on the drive detects which file blocks are most frequently accessed and copies those blocks to the SSD. Whenever data on one of those blocks is requested, the firmware sends it from the SSD cache rather than from the spinning rust and therefore frequently used files are retrieved faster than they would be otherwise.

It does make a difference. It takes a while for the drive to learn what needs to be copied but when it does, it's very noticeable.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Norphy View Post
    That would enable some SATA features such as hotswapping and NCQ but would make no difference in terms of the drive's caching to flash ability.

The drive isn't presented as two discrete drives, the firmware on the drive detects which file blocks are most frequently accessed and copies those blocks to the SSD. Whenever data on one of those blocks is requested, the firmware sends it from the SSD cache rather than from the spinning rust and therefore frequently used files are retrieved faster than they would be otherwise.

It does make a difference. It takes a while for the drive to learn what needs to be copied but when it does, it's very noticeable.
    I thought with it being flash based memory the NCQ command set ( within AHCI ) would help some what , I know with SSD's when you have it set to compatibility mode it hinders the SSD to read / write to its full potential vs if you set the S-ATA Mode to AHCI the SSD then starts working correctly and you get the full read / write speeds

I have never had or owned or used a hybrid drive so am only going on experience with SSD's

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    You're probably right in terms of performance. In terms of actual functionality though, it makes no difference.

8. Thanks to Norphy from:

mac_shinobi (1st August 2014)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,975 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I've been running one of their 750GB SSHD's for a couple of years now. There's no user config at all - it just learns what it needs to cache by itself. I have my Steam library on it, so steam itself opens almost instantly for me and whichever game I'm using the most lately ends up being cached quite nicely and performance flies.

Regarding AHCI - if your machine is anything less than 5 years old, I'd be *really* surprised if it wasn't in AHCI mode already. SATA isn't exactly a new technology!

10. Thanks to localzuk from:

mac_shinobi (1st August 2014)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,742 Times in 2,316 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The usefulness of NCQ and the like is probably down to how smart the firmware is in the drive. It should still queue writes for files in fast RAM that are close to each other and spit them out in a more contiguous block which will make it easier for the SSD chunk to write out. AHCI itself should add a little speed boost as it does not have to emulate the 1980s on each side and can talk directly. Each would be small or unmeasurable gains depending on how much optimisation of the code and hardware they have done to deal with the past but at the very least it should save you a few picowatts of power a year I would still chuck all the settings to the most modern one supported in any system I was messing with though.

12. 2 Thanks to SYNACK:

mac_shinobi (1st August 2014), xenonive (2nd August 2014)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    The usefulness of NCQ and the like is probably down to how smart the firmware is in the drive. It should still queue writes for files in fast RAM that are close to each other and spit them out in a more contiguous block which will make it easier for the SSD chunk to write out. AHCI itself should add a little speed boost as it does not have to emulate the 1980s on each side and can talk directly. Each would be small or unmeasurable gains depending on how much optimisation of the code and hardware they have done to deal with the past but at the very least it should save you a few picowatts of power a year I would still chuck all the settings to the most modern one supported in any system I was messing with though.
    ^^^ Exactly this

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread