+ Post New Thread
Results 1 to 15 of 15
How do you do....it? Thread, Students Saving Work for Staff to Access in Technical; I've been asked loads of times if there's an area/drive that the students can all save to, so the staff ...
  1. #1
    RichCowell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    PR7, Lancashire
    Posts
    512
    Thank Post
    97
    Thanked 91 Times in 73 Posts
    Rep Power
    35

    Students Saving Work for Staff to Access

    I've been asked loads of times if there's an area/drive that the students can all save to, so the staff can access the work - I've always said no, because things can be deleted / copied and they end up chatting via text files etc., plus they're never monitored so end up getting to be huge and full of old files... so told them to get the students to email their work, or go round with a USB drive...

    Thought about creating an area with a script running on the server to automatically delete files older than 10 mins (etc.), but that doesn't get round all the issues...

    None of the them are great solutions really - so thought I'd (finally) ask how other schools handle this?
    Last edited by RichCowell; 22nd July 2014 at 03:22 PM.

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    22
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
    Rep Power
    5
    Give your staff access to the students home drives?

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Ipswich
    Posts
    131
    Thank Post
    3
    Thanked 21 Times in 21 Posts
    Rep Power
    18
    We give staff read access to the students home directories. It is rarely used but some staff find it useful.

  4. Thanks to Sagima from:

    RichCowell (22nd July 2014)

  5. #4

    3s-gtech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Wales
    Posts
    3,019
    Thank Post
    157
    Thanked 630 Times in 563 Posts
    Rep Power
    165
    We have a share, students can write to it but not read from it. Staff can read from it and write. That way, a student copies and pastes their work into the share, and the staff member can then check it. The student can't even read their own work once it's pasted, let alone anyone else's.

    Only small technical issue with it is that students have forever tried to save work directly into it - this doesn't work because saving requires read/write permissions. Copy and pasting works fine.

    It's all set up with NTFS permissions, I can tell you the settings if needed.

  6. Thanks to 3s-gtech from:

    RichCowell (22nd July 2014)

  7. #5

    sonofsanta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Lincolnshire, UK
    Posts
    5,255
    Thank Post
    937
    Thanked 1,563 Times in 1,068 Posts
    Blog Entries
    47
    Rep Power
    700
    There's an extra mapped drive here called Submission with the following weird permissions:
    submissionPermission.png

    Once students have copied a file in, they can't open it again, so they need to work on it in their area then copy it over when done. No-one can look at anyone else's work, no-one can chat via text message (they do that via email if they want to anyway, and swiftly get told off for it), but teachers have all but full control and can do as they please. It's a mess, but so is any shared drive - you'll have systems to deal with that anyway.

    Some departments also use the VLE and assignments to get files uploaded - works well, as they can leave comments, and it acts as a markbook for staff.
    Last edited by sonofsanta; 22nd July 2014 at 03:42 PM.

  8. Thanks to sonofsanta from:

    RichCowell (22nd July 2014)

  9. #6
    RichCowell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    PR7, Lancashire
    Posts
    512
    Thank Post
    97
    Thanked 91 Times in 73 Posts
    Rep Power
    35
    Quote Originally Posted by Sagima View Post
    We give staff read access to the students home directories. It is rarely used but some staff find it useful.
    Thanks I've done that for the ICT staff who regularly need/use it, but it'd be a bit of a bit of a faff if a teacher's got to get one file from 30 students, so I was avoiding that...

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by 3s-gtech View Post
    We have a share, students can write to it but not read from it. Staff can read from it and write. That way, a student copies and pastes their work into the share, and the staff member can then check it. The student can't even read their own work once it's pasted, let alone anyone else's.

    Only small technical issue with it is that students have forever tried to save work directly into it - this doesn't work because saving requires read/write permissions. Copy and pasting works fine.

    It's all set up with NTFS permissions, I can tell you the settings if needed.
    That sounds perfect! If you could, I'd be extremely grateful!

  10. #7
    RichCowell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    PR7, Lancashire
    Posts
    512
    Thank Post
    97
    Thanked 91 Times in 73 Posts
    Rep Power
    35
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofsanta View Post
    There's an extra mapped drive here called Submission with the following weird permissions:
    submissionPermission.png

    Once students have copied a file in, they can't open it again, so they need to work on it in their area then copy it over when done. No-one can look at anyone else's work, no-one can chat via text message (they do that via email if they want to anyway, and swiftly get told off for it), but teachers have all but full control and can do as they please. It's a mess, but so is any shared drive - you'll have systems to deal with that anyway.

    Some departments also use the VLE and assignments to get files uploaded - works well, as they can leave comments, and it acts as a markbook for staff.
    Looks like what @3s-gtech was saying, and sounds just as perfect!! Thanks :-)

  11. #8

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Jus North of London, close but not too close
    Posts
    888
    Thank Post
    198
    Thanked 77 Times in 71 Posts
    Rep Power
    52
    Yep staff read access to home folders, create a group to make it simpler in future.

    If you run an ACL script on the home folders to just grant the staff group created read access, test it in a small test environment to make sure you are happy.

    Done this at the old place, again only a few staff requested it.

  12. Thanks to Davit2005 from:

    RichCowell (22nd July 2014)

  13. #9
    Sam_Brown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Northampton
    Posts
    598
    Thank Post
    101
    Thanked 42 Times in 40 Posts
    Rep Power
    19
    Probably similar to above. We have a folder that students can create a sub folder in but can't enter any sub folders other students have created. Works pretty well.

  14. Thanks to Sam_Brown from:

    RichCowell (22nd July 2014)

  15. #10

    StevieM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Liverpool
    Posts
    1,121
    Thank Post
    471
    Thanked 524 Times in 346 Posts
    Rep Power
    139
    I set up class folders on the shared drive and set the permissions so that teachers can create new subfolders to which students can save files directly. Students can also read/modify/delete their own files but not those belonging to other students. Teachers have full access to all files in the class folders. It took me ages to figure it out, but it works fine now. I've got the permissions saved as a .doc, which I can send you if you like.

    Teachers also have access to the students home drives.

  16. Thanks to StevieM from:

    RichCowell (22nd July 2014)

  17. #11

    unixman_again's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    886
    Thank Post
    35
    Thanked 169 Times in 129 Posts
    Rep Power
    141
    Depending on the teacher, for some we give access to their student home directories, for others we setup a shared dumping ground, while others insist all student work is submitted using Moodle. We in IT like and encourage this latter option, 'cus we have nothing to do to administer it.

  18. Thanks to unixman_again from:

    RichCowell (22nd July 2014)

  19. #12
    RichCowell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    PR7, Lancashire
    Posts
    512
    Thank Post
    97
    Thanked 91 Times in 73 Posts
    Rep Power
    35
    Quote Originally Posted by unixman_again View Post
    Depending on the teacher, for some we give access to their student home directories, for others we setup a shared dumping ground, while others insist all student work is submitted using Moodle. We in IT like and encourage this latter option, 'cus we have nothing to do to administer it.
    Haha I know what you mean...

    Sounds like the "Submissions" drive mentioned earlier will be pretty admin-free once it's up and running... I'll set up a script to automatically delete files older than X days to keep it tidy, and as they have to drag and drop existing work rather than save it there directly, if any files are needed again once they've been deleted, the pupil can just drag another copy back in...

  20. #13
    rdk
    rdk is offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    155
    Thank Post
    2
    Thanked 23 Times in 22 Posts
    Rep Power
    33
    We have a "drop-in-box" where each teacher on the "submissions" drive has a named folder. Kids can only copy and paste in (as above) but teachers can set up folders in their own drop-in-box for each of their classes or different assignments etc. Probably similar permissions to those outlined above.

  21. #14

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    22
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 9 Times in 6 Posts
    Rep Power
    8
    I have a different view on this, I give them full access to the student shared drive and use treesize to view the folder once in awhile. Its 2014 kids do everything on mobiles they rarely use the share drive to mess around with. Kids delete things, move things etc... they are fully warned that its for short term sharing of projects, papers, etc. Its not on a backup cycle.

    In there I have drop boxes for teachers that students have read/write too. Really the only problem I have is sometimes they place minecraft or prison architect to, but a simple script that runs every 30 mins deletes exe/dmg/app files on the folder and home dir folders fixes it.

  22. #15
    Galway's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    West Yorkshire
    Posts
    1,435
    Thank Post
    9
    Thanked 322 Times in 230 Posts
    Rep Power
    104
    We allow staff to read access to student folders. Simple but ticks all the boxes.



SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 9th May 2014, 05:48 PM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 5th December 2012, 05:43 PM
  3. Can anyone suggest a tool for staff to reset student passwords and unlock accounts
    By Davit2005 in forum Network and Classroom Management
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 13th September 2012, 12:49 PM
  4. Enable staff to access school docs from anywhere
    By leco in forum How do you do....it?
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 18th March 2010, 08:51 PM
  5. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 28th April 2008, 09:52 AM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •