+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
How do you do....it? Thread, Information display screens around the school? in Technical; Originally Posted by Heebeejeebee Originally Posted by Edu-IT There's also ONELAN Net-Top-Box. http://www.onelan.co.uk/product_ntb.html We've just had two of these fitted ...

Thank Post

Re: Information display screens around the school?

Quote Originally Posted by Heebeejeebee
    Quote Originally Posted by Edu-IT
    There's also ONELAN Net-Top-Box.

http://www.onelan.co.uk/product_ntb.html
    We've just had two of these fitted today - well, one Net-Top box and two monitors using CAT5 to get the signal. works well and easy to schedule events etc.

We used USL to install them.

HBJB
    Have you started to create layouts for yourself and input information or have you just had a demonstration from the installer?

Thank Post
    We have just had a OneLan system installed and I was wondering if the people using this system have pushed it very far?

I'm just trying to get to grips with it. I would love to know if anyone has managed to get different tv programs (for instance) on different screens around the school or is it just a casae of having the same on all screens. Is there any more documentation that the little booklet that comes with it?

Also do you know of any free layouts available for download just so I can try out different ones to see what really works best before I customise one of the stock ones.

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,358 Times in 748 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stuartwhiting View Post
    The beauty of D|Sign is that it is designed to be used by administrative office staff i.e. non techies! Which in my view is fantastic because it is a another job I don't have to do!

We looked at other products, we found some issues with the ease of use - some based on a linux platform.

I can't really speak highly enough of D|Sign - and before you ask I am not being paid to say this!
    That's why we went for them too - the office staff now do all the content creation and manage it all so I'm very happy!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Edu-IT View Post
    Have you started to create layouts for yourself and input information or have you just had a demonstration from the installer?
    I've created some of my own templates.. They're reletivly easy to setup. Training comes later in the week.

For some reason half the news feeds were blocked by the filter but that was easily sorted.

HBJB

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Sorry to raise the dead but I have a relevant query to signage.

I have been asked to get a system set up but we don't have the time or budget for a digital signage solution (especially since I am unavailable over the holidays). Currently we use a Powerpoint presentation run locally on the machines attached to a display and the Headteacher wants 4 screens running at once with the same display.

What's the best way to set up a central point of storage for the display and show it on all 4 screens accross the school site? I was thinking of storing 1 Powerpoint file on the network and having 4 machines reading from that but it looks to be more work then using a USB stick. And possible performance issues over the network and display itself.

Thanks.

Thank Post
    Depends on wether you just want a hardware way of running powerpoint or a system. You could get xibo running on an old machine, which is a free open source signage system, & run the powerpoint from there. Each machine woudl then run the client adn all get it from the server.

7. Thanks to TechMonkey from:

CAM (15th July 2009)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CAM View Post
    What's the best way to set up a central point of storage for the display and show it on all 4 screens accross the school site?
    Use web pages. Put a meta-refresh tag in the header of each web page that loads the next page in 60 seconds or whatever time you want. The last page in the list simply loads the first one again. You can update information by simply updating web pages, the slideshow will just keep running on the client machines. Use a Linux distribution that simply boots straight to a Kiosk-mode copy of Firefox on clients. No need to spend money on anything.

--
    David Hicks

9. Thanks to dhicks from:

CAM (15th July 2009)

Thank Post
    Why not have a central location for the powerpoint file on the server, and a simple batch file to copy this to each pc. You can run software on the pc's so they automatically play the lastest powerpoint file.

It might also be worth having a look at xibo, i've only dabbled with it, but it looks realy good and should be a bit more powerful than powerpoint for this soft of thing.

Steve

11. Thanks to steveg from:

CAM (15th July 2009)

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I have taken a look at Xibo and it looks very interesting and worth a test if it isn't too complicated. Anyone have experience with it?

Also I considered the web page with auto-refresh but we have multiple pages that often have movies running on them from Photo Story.

EDIT - Ooops, didn't read dhicks' post properly. How can I make it change to the next page? May have to tinker with this over the hols.
    Last edited by CAM; 15th July 2009 at 02:26 PM.

Thank Post
    @CAM - the following code in the head segment of each page should do, just change the target and timeout
    Code:
    <meta http-equiv="refresh" content="5;url=http://example.com/" />
    I built a version like this using html and frames for our screen, then found xibo. I haven't looked back since.

I can't recommend xibo highly enough, a doddle to install and very user-friendly to operate. If the admin staff weren't quite as overworked I'd chuck it over to them. As it is I've created a couple of student accounts on the server and get talented students to knock up layouts.

14. Thanks to TwoZeroAlpha from:

CAM (16th July 2009)

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Will have to tinker with that piece of code over the hols.

Unfortunately Xibo looks set to be a no-go. The guy managing our network believes the bandwidth constraints will be too high. The example was 4x50Mb preentations making 200Mb bandwidth.
    Last edited by CAM; 16th July 2009 at 12:52 PM.

Thank Post
    According to the Xibo site, the client will only pull the content from the server once, and then check for updates at set times. So if you only update the content once a day, thats only 200mb a day, which is nothing really.

Steve

Thank Post
    we used digital signage few weeks and it was horrid.
    The "Computers" they use to display dont work and kept breaking..

We are now with "The Life Channel" who are AMAZING!
    The Life Channel: Home

Take a look

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,715 Times in 1,526 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CAM View Post
    Will have to tinker with that piece of code over the hols.

Unfortunately Xibo looks set to be a no-go. The guy managing our network believes the bandwidth constraints will be too high. The example was 4x50Mb preentations making 200Mb bandwidth.
    Hardly much of an issue really on a modern switched network.

Surely it can pull the data when no-one else will be using it like early in the morning?

Ben

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Depends if I can schedule movie clips for night time and text-based room changes for when I get in.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast