+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
How do you do....it? Thread, Web filtering in small primary schools? in Technical; Hey, How do people deal with web filtering in small primaries? Everywhere I go to seems to be completely out ...

Thank Post

Web filtering in small primary schools?

Hey,

How do people deal with web filtering in small primaries? Everywhere I go to seems to be completely out of our price range (looking at your Smoothwall :'( ).

I'm looking at either a Hyper-V appliance or something we can install on our own hardware.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue_Cookeh View Post
    Hey,

How do people deal with web filtering in small primaries? Everywhere I go to seems to be completely out of our price range (looking at your Smoothwall :'( ).

I'm looking at either a Hyper-V appliance or something we can install on our own hardware.
    What's your budget? What firewall are you currently using? Typical AD environment?

Thank Post
    Not got a specific price range, but I'm willing to be a little generous with these things. At the moment we have Forefront TMG for staff and Squid/Dansguardian for the kids which upstreams to the TMG box. We've got a typical AD environment (2012R2, 7 and 8 clients) with about 75 devices.

TMG is finished as far as Microsoft is concerned, Squid+DG has too much overhead (and seems REALLY slow, but could be poor config) and ideally I'd like to condense the two solutions down to one for both user groups.

There just doesn't seem to be anything out there for smaller schools with decent IT provision

Admittedly our Smoothwall quote is from January 2012, maybe @tom_newton could get in touch for a more up to date one?
    Last edited by Blue_Cookeh; 8th July 2014 at 10:44 PM.

Thank Post
    Have a look a Surfprotect from Exa networks
    Web Content Filtering for Education | Schools - SurfProtect®

Simple and effective.
    BoX

5. Thanks to box_l from:

exa_mark (14th July 2014)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    In that case, one of the smaller iBoss web filters would only put you back about $1,100 and subscription is based on number of concurrent users, and is very reasonable.

iboss Network Security Products

They also have the much less expensive iBoss Pro, which has nearly all of the features except for AD integration, although you can create internal users that can be used for authentication and group-based filtering.

iboss Pro Series Content Filter - Solution Overview

The iBoss is the best web filter out there, bar none. I've had vendors try to sell me their product, then I show them what our iBoss can do and ask if their product is better than that - and they quickly depart. Always.

Thank Post
    If you are feeling brave, you can setup a pfSense environment with Squid3/Dansguardian.

You will have to source and setup your own blocklists, whitelists etc. and will take more setting up and management - However, it is a free solution to consider.

Thank Post
    Hey,

You don't have to have Smoothwall hardware... although I don't know if not taking the hardware will drop it into your price range.

Thank Post
    We use Surfprotect here with a NetAsq U70. Works great and very cheap.

10. Thanks to fairm010 from:

exa_mark (14th July 2014)

Thank Post
    most primary schools seem to use RM Safetynet Plus. It's offsite and looked after by SEGFL etc and is very cheap (something like £100) as all the schools club together.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DrPerceptron View Post
    You don't have to have Smoothwall hardware... although I don't know if not taking the hardware will drop it into your price range.
    It's the support contract that knocks it out of the park, the hardware cost only seemed to be about 1/10th of the quote.

Thank Post
    Hey,

Thank you to the couple of posters namely box_l & fairm010 for mentioning Exa and our filtering SurfProtect. SurfProtect is included at no extra charge on our connectivity services, and our support services and updates are included at no extra charge, which as has been pointed out, the on-going support/service contracts can add huge costs to other services. If you are happy with your current provider for connectivity, our filtering is available as standalone, just PM me for the price (so it doesn't look like I am just sales pitching here, more than I already am), or give the team a call for a quote.
    Where our filtering service differs from what other providers or grids offer, is that it is entirely our own code. We built it from the first line of code and continue to innovate and update it, at no extra cost or service charge; and we have thousands of schools using it, so if you would like a reference school near to where you are, again just PM me. Enough sales pitching now

Thank Post
    I take it your LEA cant do it. Whos is your broadband with? It will work out more cost effective to use your LEA if you can. Or the academies solution if you are an academy.

Thank Post
    We use Barracuda and for one of our sites we use the cloud service as there is no hardware needed. We also looked at sonicwall but we didn't need the firewall capability - happy to pass you the details of our account manager if you want.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by edutech4schools View Post
    most primary schools seem to use RM Safetynet Plus. It's offsite and looked after by SEGFL etc and is very cheap (something like £100) as all the schools club together.
    RM Smartcache is relatively cheap but has been out of development for years and will be unsupported as of Sept 2015 iirc.

Thank Post
    I'd recommend censornet. We're rolling it out to various primary schools that have moved away from SWGfL. That's fairly cheap too.

Meldrew

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast