+ Post New Thread
How do you do....it? Thread, Student Web Hosting in Technical; Hi all, I've been asked to create a system where we can give access to all students in KS3 access ...
    Thank Post

Student Web Hosting

Hi all,

I've been asked to create a system where we can give access to all students in KS3 access to SQL, ftp, wordpress.

Now initally that screams Linux to me, but creating a new set of accounts and for MySQL and creating a wordpress install... is not exactly filling me with Joy.

One suggestion is just get them to all sign up for a http://www.x10hosting.com/ account.

Any other ideas ?

Budgester

Thank Post
    I use a Linux box with EHCP (Easy Hosting Control Panel | for Ubuntu and alikes...- Free Fast Opensource web hosting control panel for your server **) installed.

The tutors can easily setup sub folders as needed with FTP and mysql. So the student gets students.school.ac.uk/jbloggs

the students install wordpress or what ever cms they are working with themselves as part of the lesson plan.

3. Thanks to danbuntu from:

fiza (7th July 2014)

Thank Post
    Another one is zpanelcp.com. Can be installed locally as well so at least you won't be worrying about Joe Public seeing what they're producing.

Thank Post
    Install CPanel on an old server/PC if it's going to be a permanent thing? I'm thinking they may offer an educational discount, but honestly have no idea if they do.

Failing that, can't you bodge something together with SQL lite, filezilla and apache?
    Last edited by gtg93; 7th July 2014 at 12:10 PM.

Thank Post
    cPanel is free for a lifetime edu license

(Although they may charge a token administrative fee of about 20 for setting up)

7. Thanks to Marci from:

gtg93 (7th July 2014)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,442 Times in 991 Posts
    Blog Entries
    PHP/MySQL on an internal Windows server is an afternoon's work, honest guv: Installing a PHP/MySQL Development Server for students on Windows Server 2012 - Part1 - Blogs - EduGeek.net & Installing a PHP/MySQL Development Server for students on Windows Server 2012 - Part2 - Blogs - EduGeek.net

We used to use off-site hosting for KS5 but it was too much of a pain getting kids to FTP and dealing with concurrent connections and getting access to files for staff... with an onsite server, it's mapped to relevant users as a K drive, they work on the files as normal through Windows Explorer, then go to http://php/year/user/ to view their files. Couldn't be easier for them.

WordPress, I would imagine, won't take too much longer - it's in the Web Platform Installer alongside MySQL and PHP.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofsanta View Post
    PHP/MySQL on an internal Windows server is an afternoon's work, honest guv: Installing a PHP/MySQL Development Server for students on Windows Server 2012 - Part1 - Blogs - EduGeek.net & Installing a PHP/MySQL Development Server for students on Windows Server 2012 - Part2 - Blogs - EduGeek.net

We used to use off-site hosting for KS5 but it was too much of a pain getting kids to FTP and dealing with concurrent connections and getting access to files for staff... with an onsite server, it's mapped to relevant users as a K drive, they work on the files as normal through Windows Explorer, then go to http://php/year/user/ to view their files. Couldn't be easier for them.

WordPress, I would imagine, won't take too much longer - it's in the Web Platform Installer alongside MySQL and PHP.
    Thanks to @sonofsanta we have this set up and has been working well for quite some time now.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,442 Times in 991 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fiza View Post
    Thanks to @sonofsanta we have this set up and has been working well for quite some time now.
    Brings a lump to my throat, it does.

No seriously, it's ace. I finally contributed something useful beyond sarcasm and poor Photoshops!

Thank Post
    Does it need to be online hosting? If not, have you thought about using Microsoft Webmatrix?

It's free

WebMatrix 3

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread