+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
How do you do....it? Thread, No more VCRs! - What do we do? in Technical; @ Joanne - I've just emailed the link to the BBC Education website to all teaching staff and have already ...
    Thank Post
    @Joanne - I've just emailed the link to the BBC Education website to all teaching staff and have already had 3 replies saying thanks......so a big thanks from me.

Thank Post
    someone else probably has a link to the definitive licensing info but am sure that you can use material that has been broadcast free to air in schools for education purposes. On clickview exchange for example their are lots of films that have been shown on TV.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by maark View Post
    someone else probably has a link to the definitive licensing info but am sure that you can use material that has been broadcast free to air in schools for education purposes. On clickview exchange for example their are lots of films that have been shown on TV.
    I believe the issue comes when you download it to archive.
    My understanding is that if you have to "rip" it from somewhere, education or not, that's not allowed.

Honestly, It's just my understaning and it's likely that I am completely wrong.

And sod trying to sift through copyright law and figuring out what I can and can't do. If I had a law qualification good enough that I understood all that stuff, I wouldn't be an ANM

Can't talk now: The mother-ship is calling!
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,301 Times in 891 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMrB View Post
    Remember back in the day when your teacher used to wheel in a chunky TV and you'd watch some sex education program that had been recorded off of BBC at 2 in the morning?
    Yep. Me too.

I was wondering how you guys do that with the tech of today...
    A relevant nostalgic trip down a technological memory lane:

Link: The Sounds of Obsolete Technologies 1990

5. 2 Thanks to DaveP:

sonofsanta (3rd July 2014), TheMrB (3rd July 2014)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
    A relevant nostalgic trip down a technological memory lane:

Link: The Sounds of Obsolete Technologies 1990
    I wish I could thank this post more than once!
    So many memories!

Thank Post
    Cool. cheers.
    Is that something you'd do at home or set up in the office to do out of hours?
    It's basically a DVR similar to Sky+ so get it done in school and treat it as a server .

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by strawberry View Post
    It's basically a DVR similar to Sky+ so get it done in school and treat it as a server .
    Awesome, I thought that would probably be the case.
    Cheers

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,460 Times in 1,003 Posts
    Blog Entries
    +1 for a TV card and Windows Media Center - we built a PC for the purpose last year, and we get a fair amount of requests for recordings still, so it's been worth its money (and was cheaper than a ClickView sub, as far as I could tell).

Copyright: you are legally entitled to use otherwise legal recordings (i.e. original DVDs) in lesson in pursuance of the curriculum i.e. you can watch Romeo + Juliet in English if it's the current topic. To watch it in a Geography lesson cos it's the holidays tomorrow needs one of the PVSL or MPLC licence (depends on the studio, I cba to look it up, you get the idea).

TV Recordings: the Department for Education has a central ERA+ licence from the Educational Recording Agency. From our AUP (what I wrote):
    The ERA scheme permits recordings of broadcasts to be made for non-commercial educational use. A 'broadcast' is defined as a transmission for simultaneous and lawful reception by members of the public i.e. it is not encrypted or encoded and is for general reception, unlike pay per view services. The ERA Licence therefore covers scheduled free to air broadcasts on:

• BBC television and radio
    • ITV Network services (including ITV2 and ITV3)
    • Channel Four, E4, More 4 and Film 4
    • Five Television
    • S4C

It also applies to any other licensed broadcast services. These cover both radio and television services.

Recordings may be made available to students over the internet so long as access is restricted by login such that the material is not publicly available but accessible only by students, for example posted on the VLE or made available through remote file access.

Please note that “on-demand” services are not considered to be broadcasts under the Act and are therefore not covered by this license. Open University programs are also covered by a separate license that does not currently cover the School.
    So you can't rip from the iPlayer, but any and every school and academy is legally entitled to record off-the-air.

EDIT: official announcement: http://www.era.org.uk/licence-update...g-1-april-2014
    The Agreement which now been concluded with the Department for Education provides for ERA Licence fees for funded schools in England to be paid centrally by the Department for each of the three licensing years from 1 April 2014, 1 April 2015 and 1 April 2016.
    "Funded schools", presumably, excludes independents and private schools.
    Last edited by sonofsanta; 3rd July 2014 at 12:28 PM.

Thank Post
    I have a primary school that still use vhs videos. I have even downloaded some of the videos but for some crazy reason they insist on using vhs. I was also shocked at how poor the quality is especially as the quality degrades over time and these things have been played to hell and back.

Thank Post
    A cruddy old server with a TV tuner card with a sky box plugged in plus a VHS recorder We record the educational shows etc from the beeb and can also transfer the old catalogue of VHS tapes onto DVD etc.

It works, but it isn't the best system in the world. I actually think we are still using old science recordings of a show that used a pinball table style animation between each section of program (anyone remember this??)

Thank Post
    Oh, and if you want to see some cracking BBC oldies:

BBC - Archive - Browse Programmes

Check out the Tomorrows World segment on Mobile Phones

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofsanta View Post
    +1 for a TV card and Windows Media Center - we built a PC for the purpose last year, and we get a fair amount of requests for recordings still, so it's been worth its money (and was cheaper than a ClickView sub, as far as I could tell).

Copyright: you are legally entitled to use otherwise legal recordings (i.e. original DVDs) in lesson in pursuance of the curriculum i.e. you can watch Romeo + Juliet in English if it's the current topic. To watch it in a Geography lesson cos it's the holidays tomorrow needs one of the PVSL or MPLC licence (depends on the studio, I cba to look it up, you get the idea).

TV Recordings: the Department for Education has a central ERA+ licence from the Educational Recording Agency. From our AUP (what I wrote):

So you can't rip from the iPlayer, but any and every school and academy is legally entitled to record off-the-air.

EDIT: official announcement: DfE Agreement to streamline licensing from 1 April 2014 | Educational Recording Agency | Licensing the use of educational broadcast material

"Funded schools", presumably, excludes independents and private schools.
    So, if you know,
    Where would I stand bypassing any HDCP coming from my sky box if i was to record tv shows that I had DVR'd?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by edutech4schools View Post
    I have a primary school that still use vhs videos. I have even downloaded some of the videos but for some crazy reason they insist on using vhs. I was also shocked at how poor the quality is especially as the quality degrades over time and these things have been played to hell and back.
    Quote Originally Posted by themightymrp View Post
    A cruddy old server with a TV tuner card with a sky box plugged in plus a VHS recorder We record the educational shows etc from the beeb and can also transfer the old catalogue of VHS tapes onto DVD etc.

It works, but it isn't the best system in the world. I actually think we are still using old science recordings of a show that used a pinball table style animation between each section of program (anyone remember this??)
    We spent an entire summer copying all of Science's VHS tapes to DVD for them
    I've never laughed harder than when I was asked "How come the quality hasn't improved with the DVD"
    Not the first, or last time I've had to explain GIGO in this school

Thank Post
    +1 for clickview/clickcap we had it at my last school and it was brill. Easy to use for recording stuff of the TV. For old VHS tapes, we used a VCR connected to a PC with TV card to upload them to clickview. Old VHS tapes are a bit of a problem. Where I work now, most classrooms have VCRs, but as these die we don't replace them. We don't install VCRs in the new buildings either. While we do offer the facilities to convert VHS to DVD, we point out to staff that the material on the VHS is either out of date or more likely, has been played so many times that it is unwatchable and so converting it to DVD is largely a waste of time.

Thank Post
    So, if you know,
    Where would I stand bypassing any HDCP coming from my sky box if i was to record tv shows that I had DVR'd?
    On very dodgy ground.

17. Thanks to Galway from:

TheMrB (3rd July 2014)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast