+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
How do you do....it? Thread, Kids pulling keys off keyboards! in Technical; Don't get so much of it now, but a number of years ago I did go into one of our ...

Thank Post
    Don't get so much of it now, but a number of years ago I did go into one of our labs to find a keyboard with the letters rearranged to spell "hello mr jonas how are you are you having a nice day"

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JJonas View Post
    Don't get so much of it now, but a number of years ago I did go into one of our labs to find a keyboard with the letters rearranged to spell "hello mr jonas how are you are you having a nice day"
    That must have been an unusual keyboard! I could use a few more H keys here.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,969 Times in 2,183 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    We have some Dell keyboards which have a much lower profile key so it is more difficult for the children to get their fingers under the keys to remove them.
    Quote Originally Posted by DWakely View Post
    Just out of interest what is the model number for these keyboards?
    Dell KB4021 perhaps? The keys on these keyboards are recessed slightly more than usual.

We also have some Logitech K280e keyboards with chiclet-style keys. However, only staff use these so I'm not sure if they would be suitable for students with a tendency for removing keys.
    Last edited by Arthur; 2nd July 2014 at 01:37 PM.

Thank Post

Kids pulling keys off keyboards!

As others have said, there are no indestructible keyboards, mice etc.. This is what we do to try to reduce this kind of pointless stuff

We have a room bookings system and can track what dept was in a room and we charge things to them. Depts generally wise up and report damage found in a room when they arrive as they don't want the bill.

Normal IT lessons we also have on the room bookings and we charge to it teaching.

We have worked with teachers to charge to student/parents in the past

We try to buy robust kit, from keyboards to PC cases etc

We have combination locks on the suites and change the codes regularly - because the teachers tell the kids

We have a rule that students are not to be left unattended - we complain to SMT when we find this getting ignored - gets mentioned in staff briefings and we change the codes again...

There used to be "open access" in an it suite at lunch and break - this was stopped as teachers didn't want to take it in turns siting there at those times

We check all suites first thing before lessons for damage, I often do a sweep at end of day as well before I go.

We have CCTV cam in corridor facing suites so we can see who is going in and out, we may be using old CCTV cams for inside suites when these are upgraded - personally I would like to avoid - I wouldn't want to spend my whole day working under a camera of I was a teacher to be honest.

We investigate and repair damage immediately - I think this makes a big difference - if you do something it will be noticed...

We security mark and label everything

We cable tie and secure everything

We do get damage and vandalism but not a lot and It's all a great big PITA to have to be doing all this and not spending that time and effort on real IT

Edited - changed some obvious typos
    Last edited by Jasbo; 2nd July 2014 at 01:52 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12