+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
How do you do....it? Thread, Windows Tablets as 'Proper' Domain Clients? Any Stories? in Technical; Have deployed 35 Asus Win8.1 tablets as full fat domain clients. Created image of master computer and then had to ...

Thank Post
    Have deployed 35 Asus Win8.1 tablets as full fat domain clients. Created image of master computer and then had to spread using USB y cable and pen drive. You can managed the Metro screen by creating your ideal screen and then taking the XML file using Powershell. The xml file can then be added to a GPO to be forced upon the clients. Not had to play with trying to deploy Metro apps yet though.

2. Thanks to smidsy from:

Miscbrah (16th June 2014)

Thank Post
    I thought that things like the store do not work on a domain due to the store needing a different login account to the standard domain accounts, is this true?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Not quite, no. You can still access the store when you're signed in using a domain account. You open the Windows Store app and sign in with a Microsoft account there.

The whole thing is a massive clusterfudge and Microsoft should be ashamed. IMO.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by edutech4schools View Post
    I thought that things like the store do not work on a domain due to the store needing a different login account to the standard domain accounts, is this true?
    Would you want standard users to be able to access the store, though? If the were on a domain, I'd set UAC so that only an admin account could install apps. I think our biggest problem would be the LEA filter blocking access.

Thank Post
    I have deployed Windows 8.1 touch laptops but nobody uses the Metro tiles and they all just use the standard desktop, which makes me think what is the point of a MS tablet using metro tiles. I could force it on them but if they want and prefer a standard desktop what's the point.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by StevieM View Post
    Would you want standard users to be able to access the store, though? If the were on a domain, I'd set UAC so that only an admin account could install apps. I think our biggest problem would be the LEA filter blocking access.
    That's the thing yeah, I would be actively blocking that anyway.

I'm thinking some Metro for the "Wow... tablet... new and shiny" factor, which we've determined we can set through .xml file pushout, and maybe even Server 2012 has options in GP too? Think I read that somewhere but don't recall so I might be lying there.

Push out .msis mebbe?

Image d2d with USB sticks.

Batteries suck which is a GOOD thing as it'll ENSURE they're charged and locked in cabs each night.

...I feel a PLAN coming on.

Thank Post
    We run 60 Dell Latitude 10 tablets here, currently upgrading them to 8.1 enterprise, been in a year, everyone loves them.

9. Thanks to dezt from:

Miscbrah (18th June 2014)

Thank Post
    Server 2012 does indeed have the options in GP for Win 8 settings or I used a win 8.1 VM to set the GP as not got a 2012 server just yet. The children here like using metro but it does have its limitations e.g. it wont display a tile if the programs aren't installed on the machine so they also use the all programs list that can be got at by swiping up on the screen. I populate the all programs list with a startup script syncing to a redirected start menu.

MSI can be pushed out to the tablets using the normal method.

11. Thanks to smidsy from:

Thank Post
    I will start this by saying - mnah mnah - I will put this in every single one of your threads without fail.

Secondly I find them very easy to manage we have a test one here and I simply image and deploy with all the new apps installed and arranged how I'd like, I then unpin the store etc from the main start menu. Mainly they will just use them on standard desktop mode anyway but just in case.

13. Thanks to abillybob from:

Thank Post
    We have gone a step further than this at the moment and removed the store and bing health / fitness apps completely from the machine using a powershell script I found (and have now lost). If you want a copy of this script to have a look at then pm me.

15. Thanks to smidsy from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 3s-gtech View Post
    Thankfully I haven't had to image them yet, there's only the three of them so they were built individually.
    MDT 2013 images 8.1

17. Thanks to robjduk from:

Thank Post
    Rolled out 130 last December. Just like a normal laptop Windows 8 enterprise.

One word of warning stay away from the Acer W510. Wireless driver is a nightmare. Had to switch back from 8.1 to 8 because of the driver. Acer's updated wireless driver for 8.1 is useless. Luckily we use SCCM to deploy so didn't take long to redo 130!

19. Thanks to dblight from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,749 Times in 2,322 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Got six Asus t100 s here, painful to image but great once they are and domain joined. All the printers, scripts and applications just work like any other station. Metro apps are a mess as stated but people seem to like them unless they are all mac all the time people who refuse to give them a chance.

21. Thanks to SYNACK from:

Thank Post
    Right, might well take the plunge then thanks to everyone for the helpful bits and bobs.

Only thing is I cannot STAND MDT or Microsoft deployment of any sort. Have never had a straightforward encounter, nor anything actually working after using it ever. SCCM is a nono also.

Is there anything else anyone uses for imaging them? Would clonezilla work do we reckon? What specifically are you brave pioneers of handheld Microsoft-age using to image these thingies and is there a walkthrough?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Miscbrah View Post
    Right, might well take the plunge then thanks to everyone for the helpful bits and bobs.
    Go for it, @Miscbrah! We all expect a blow-by-blow blog of the project.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast