+ Post New Thread
How do you do....it? Thread, Sync between 2 NAS boxes in Technical; Hello Fellow eduGeeks, i have a situation now where I am using a seperate server on our site to do ...
    Thank Post

Sync between 2 NAS boxes

Hello Fellow eduGeeks,

i have a situation now where I am using a seperate server on our site to do the bulk of the backup work with our virtualisation cluster, Veeam is running well and doing the automated backup, we have 2 NAS boxes on our site, both of them are Buffalo Linkstation QXL's we have an 8 TB one and a 12 TB one, at the moment, I have the Veeam server backing up our VMs to itself as a repository (I could not do the ideal thing I wanted, which was to specify the NAS boxes as the repositories, when backing up to them, it seemed to throw a wobbly and say that the device was closing the connection when trying to do the mass copy of the Veeam files to the NAS)

What I am doing now, is backing up to the backup server and using windows server backup then to get the relevant directories sent to the first NAS box, I cannot select a second destination or create a second backup job to run on this server, but ideally to be safe I would like to get them backing up to both NAS boxes at relevant parts of the site (we want to spread out the second nas on site outside of our server room to not have an "all eggs in one basket" scenario with data recovery).

The built in replication seems to be failing too, when I set it up to do that, it basically failed to run using the inbuilt software, so I want to know if anyone has suggestions on how to automate the data replication on these two devices.

Thanks,

Rich

Thank Post
    Rich you should be able to get the Veeam server backing up straight to a Buffalo box then duplicating to the other buffalo box?

How are you connecting the buffalo's to the veeam server - CIFs, ISCSI, NFS?

Thank Post
    I was doing it via CIFS when I tried, I dont believe the boxes we have come with iSCSI, else I would have had no qualms attaching one to the backup server.

I will try it again tomorrow when I am in the office and copy up what Veeam threw up at me when I tried it out initially.

I tried their "Backup" tool, but it throws a wobbly a bit and quits out from what I saw on the logs, it doesnt like all the massively long welsh words we have on our filenames I think.
    Last edited by rich_tech; 9th June 2014 at 10:02 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread