+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
How do you do....it? Thread, IT office, do you share or have a dedicated room? in Technical; Started a new job last week and I'm kinda liking the setup we have here. We share a room with ...

Thank Post

IT office, do you share or have a dedicated room?

Started a new job last week and I'm kinda liking the setup we have here. We share a room with the resources manager and school events manager. The room also has the photocopiers in it. Can get busy at times with staff coming in to photocopy and to speak to other staff, but it's friendly and vibrant. There is a hatch that students go to, where they can ask for assistance, staff just come into the office.

At my last school we had our own office, where staff and students weren't allowed in and had to come to the 'hatch' if they needed assistance.

What do you do at your school?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,694 Times in 1,472 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We have our own office, although 1 person from outside the department lives there. I would rather live in the main office with none the IT staff to be honest.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    We have our own office, although 1 person from outside the department lives there. I would rather live in the main office with none the IT staff to be honest.
    Do you not like your colleagues in IT then?

We have a couple of offices and they're used just by IT staff.

Can't talk now: The mother-ship is calling!
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,288 Times in 880 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We have a dedicated office next to The Server Room. However we were told yesterday that The Head might move us over to the other side of the site. Our office might be occupied by our Reprographics Department.

Upside: Lots more room in the new location
    Downside: Remote location away from the servers [I know that it is done elsewhere it's just that I haven't worked like this before]

Thank Post
    Yeah we have to remote into our servers, they're on the other side of the site as well. It's never really been a problem and gives us have a reason to disappear for a bit

Thank Post
    As DM I have my own office, I'm moving in with the IT guys in September for me it's a huge pain because i find I'm easily distracted especially when I have a complicated task I don't want to do in front of me.

It's nothing personal against the IT guys, also I know if they're both out I'm going to get dumped on too hence why I'm out asap.

I can see both sides being all on one office with staff in/out could make you all more approachable. Whereas if you have your own office you have the space to work in peace.

I'd prefer IT guys in their own office.

rad
    Thank Post
    We in IT are in an ex classroom, 4 staff. The ICT classrooms are on same corridor. We have a knock and enter policy which gets confusing cos other offices have a knock and wait. Anyway, students and staff come in and some make it more like a second home but that's possibly because we are chatty which some like, we do ICT homework club (open ict room before school and at lunch) and some keep popping in to say hi.

Thank Post
    We have a separate office on the other side of the school to the server room. Used to be next to it, but volunteered to move to help another department and got a bigger room as a result. Knock and enter for us - only thing I don't like is my back is to the door due to desk layouts etc - would prefer to face people as they come in.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,694 Times in 1,472 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Edu-IT View Post
    Do you not like your colleagues in IT then?

We have a couple of offices and they're used just by IT staff.
    Its not that, I just like a mix of people. I prefer to be in a big office with loads of people. In my old company we had 200 in an open plan office, i liked that.

Thank Post
    We have one office for techs and sys admin all facing door and a counter facing the door with a PC users can use etc to demo issues / test fixes, there's a door at the back going into the nm office that I share with the it director (deputy head) and theres a half high wall and a door from there into the media techs office which has its own entrance as well.

I have always favoured a knock and come in approach with a physical help desk barrier that suggests people stay that side of the fence... But we are a friendly bunch,

we have media and DT rooms next to us and store room, server room and it suites a short distance away.

I like having everyone in the same space, it helps to build a sense of team. I like to be able to see and shout at everyone at the same time. Everyone can see how I treat everyone else, And I am available to them and they can see how hard I work ( I hate those disappearing manager types... ) we can all easily share knowledge by working together and it's great sharing with my boss we get on great and he has real insight to just what we are doing all day and we get all the over view info from him.

It did take 2 years to get all that space in one place and I did get resistance from some of us, but now everyone is generally happy...

Thank Post
    You don't know you're born you lot...an office pah!

I get a bench in the corner of the library...and I am grateful for it...

Mind you at the last place there were fourteen of us all huddled together...etc etc 😊
    Last edited by CESIL; 8th June 2014 at 09:53 AM.

Can't talk now: The mother-ship is calling!
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,288 Times in 880 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CESIL View Post
    You don't know you're born you lot...an office pah!

I get a bench in the corner of the library...and I am grateful for it...

Mind you at the last place there were fourteen of us all huddled together...etc etc 
    There was a time when my technician and I were shoved into The Server Room [very cramped, hot and noisy] So I think we have done our time here. In some ways I am looking forward to the new location [hope it comes off...]

Thank Post
    There's only just enough room for me in my office. Luckily, the SENCO lets me spread out at the back of the Learning Resource room, which has loads of bench space and sockets.

Thank Post
    The server room is my office, which I share with my 1 IT tech. Reasonable space, noisy, but thanks to air conditioning, not hot. Knock and enter policy.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,181 Times in 1,616 Posts
    Over the years my office has been the school library (quite nice actually - it's quiet), the ICT Suite, a tiny office known as "the cupboard" which I have shared with the registrar, the H&S manager and the Music Teacher (successively, not all at once). On one occasion, I arrived in work to find I had an office I didn't share, but the desk and PC had been removed because the registrar was moving in to the school office. I kicked up a bit of a stink about that!

You shouldn't be sharing your space with racks of servers and switches due to the noise. However, those of us working in smaller schools work wherever there is space to accomodate us; you have to be tidy.

The servers in my current school are in a cubby hole which also used to house the photocopier. The copier has gone now and chairs are stored there. Fortunately, we can remote in to the servers for 99% of things.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast