+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
How do you do....it? Thread, IT office, do you share or have a dedicated room? in Technical; We've had a dedicated IT office and adjoining working space (benches, storage) for several years now. The Library staff office ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    We've had a dedicated IT office and adjoining working space (benches, storage) for several years now.

The Library staff office is next to us though, and the Head Librarian and I want to knock down a couple of walls, commandeer another office and turn a more open working area into a shared Library/ICT Office with a Help Desk window for IT and service window for the Library. With all of the integration of IT into the Library and the fact the Head Librarian is also the school's eLearning coordinator it makes a lot of sense. It also gets IT more face-time with teachers and students because it will make it easier and more inviting for them to come for assistance (rather than the "IT is back there behind the Library" that happens now).

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,317 Times in 1,630 Posts
    I too have a small bit of bench in the library - behind a half-wall.
    In my other school I have a windowless office that is so small I can almost touch all four walls if I stretch my arms out

Thank Post
    We have two dedicated offices, and are getting a big extension to mine, so that we can all be together in the same place.. the new one will be about twice the size of the other two put together. We are blessed!

Thank Post
    got a couple of offices next to my server room. One more as the face of the department with 1 tech in to do most the student walk ins and the other with me and my more techy tech in to work on projects.

If it wasn't for the way I don't think sod all would get done if I wasn't there to moan about it I would ask to move to a little office miles away from other people.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by benjaminstevens93 View Post
    What do you do at your school?
    I have an office next to the server cupboard, with sound-insulated sliding doors separating the office bit from the server cupboard bit. It's compact but perfectly adequate, and comes complete with a close-able door. @rickjames gets the bit downstairs where I used to sit, next to the photocopier outside the junior toilets. It's a bit busier, with people coming to use the photocopier and lots of noisy children queing to use the toilet, but it's about the only space we had free.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    I too have a small bit of bench in the library - behind a half-wall.
    In my other school I have a windowless office that is so small I can almost touch all four walls if I stretch my arms out
    You have four arms?

I share my office with the server cabinet.
    Last week I had air conditioning fitted as part of the whole school heating and lighting refurbishment (LED lights everywhere!)
    Its lovely in here now - if you don't mind the noise of the servers and switches...

7. Thanks to hallb15 from:

StevieM (12th June 2014)

Thank Post
    My Office is in the Server room it's a fair size, though can get very hot, having Air Con installed this summer as the health and safety person had a look around and recommended we get Air Con... YAY! Juts me on my own in here, but I don't mind it that way I dislike people!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,317 Times in 1,630 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hallb15 View Post
    You have four arms?
    You mean you don't? I thought it was a requirement for IT. It may be because I am an electronics engineer at heart and you always need 4 hands when soldering anything to anything

Thank Post
    I originally had my own small office then moved the servers in(they were on/under a table in a tiny cupboard) and then eventually managed to get a bigger office elsewhere. I wouldn't mind sharing an office and having a tech bench elsewhere, it gets a little boring being so far from all the other offices/classrooms.

Thank Post
    The technical guys have their own office, and I am in a shared office with the Exams office, 4 Assistant Headteachers, 1 member of our Secretarial team and an AST.

Needless to say, sometimes I go down to the technical office because its not as busy, or go hide in the server room, which is 2 doors down from where I am.

Thank Post
    We've got a shared office for the IT Support team, and then I've got a small office that I use when I need some peace and quiet - pretty lucky, I guess!

Knock and enter for staff and students - main office is on a magnetic lock...

Thank Post
    I live in a very large L shaped room sat in an open plan office in the middle, in front of me is one ICT lab of 35 PC's and to my right is another lab of 25 PC's. I share this space with my other technical member of staff and our desks are angled so our screens aren't visible to anyone in the labs. The servers are in a secure area in the same building with their own aircon, power etc so no noise issues from them.

I actually enjoy being open plan, not only can I see and hear everything that's going on with regards to the teaching, but it makes supervising lunchtime open access a doddle. It also means we are very much front of house rather than shut away somewhere, lots of staff drop by and pupils can approach us if there are issues. I also have a second area in another building where I can go if I need somewhere quiet.

I know I'm lucky in my working environment here, I've done my apprenticeship in windowless cupboards in my early years and can fully sympathise

Andrew

Thank Post
    We have an L shaped office that's probably narrower than a typical corridor - Kitchen worktop, swivel chairs and enough room to squeeze past. That's for 3 of us, plus a workbench we struggle to keep free of rubbish because we don't really have much storage (lots of boxes of stuff on shelves already) and then a server room of 4 racks (same width... creative thinking went into fitting 4 racks in there).

I would more than happily share an office with another department, the rest of the IT department or anything if it meant I could have a decent amount of space to move around.

Thank Post
    Ive got a nice office next to our main staffroom. Just me in here, plenty of bench space for fixing wonky equipment, a whiteboard for scribbled notes, a big pinboard, and a nice window overlooking the central courtyard and the pond.

Im lucky

Thank Post
    In one school I share an office with the bursar which is very handy for orders etc
    In my second school I share a desk with the family liaison officer in the main office as we are in the school when the other isnt.
    in my third school, its any desk i can get!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast