+ Post New Thread
How do you do....it? Thread, raspberry pi's in Classrooms in Technical; Hi All, We recently bought 20 Pi's and we struggling to work out how best to wire them into the ...
    Thank Post

Lightbulb raspberry pi's in Classrooms

Hi All,

We recently bought 20 Pi's and we struggling to work out how best to wire them into the classroom. We have a suite of computers with DVI monitors which we could use but none of us are keen on letting the students un-cable and re-cable the monitors and PC's every time they class need to use the Pi's. I had thought about installing Raspbian then enabling remote desktop, then allowing the students to RDP to the Pi's but this would mean the kids cant have the Pi on their desk which wouldnt be great if they playing with LED's etc.

Any one have any advice or suggestions?

Thanks

Thank Post
    I am in the same boat, we have had them since September and they haven't been used yet.

Our monitors aren't HDMI either so I have bought hdmi to VGA convertors.

I also bought a cheap manual vga switcher so they only need to plug into the vga switch. Not ideal but cheaper than new monitors.

In theory it should work.

Thank Post

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RobD View Post
    I had thought about installing Raspbian then enabling remote desktop, then allowing the students to RDP to the Pi's but this would mean the kids cant have the Pi on their desk which wouldnt be great if they playing with LED's etc.
    If each Raspberry Pi was clearly labled / numbered, could you not just have a specific workstation remote to a specific Raspberry Pi, so the pupil simply remotes the the Raspberry Pi next to them on the desk?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    If each Raspberry Pi was clearly labled / numbered, could you not just have a specific workstation remote to a specific Raspberry Pi, so the pupil simply remotes the the Raspberry Pi next to them on the desk?
    That was my original plan but the Pi's would have to be on a separate desk meaning they wouldn't be as accessible for quick changes. Basically the teacher thought there would be two much "back and forth", I think we'll need KVMs and HDMI to VGA may be the winner. Or I suppose we could use laptops and direct Ethernet to the pi's (wireless to share internet etc).

Thank Post
    The Fuze could be your answer, comes with or without the Raspberry Pi so good if you have already invested in these. Easy plug in and go set up , straight into the monitor. Enhances the Pi, makes it a good solution for the classroom. Comes with additional programming language , Fuze BASIC, plus electronics kit , project cards etc. New version also includes analogue in/out. Worth a look at the website. The FUZE | Powered by Raspberry Pi, combines programming and electronics in a fun, motivational and engaging package.

7. Thanks to vickit from:

jumpinjamez (8th July 2014)

Thank Post
    We are in the same boat and the Raspberry P'is haven't been used yet. So far we have taken children out in groups to work in the corridor with a monitor, power leads and spare keyboards and mice. But our computer suite monitors are DVI so they could be used if they wanted to use them all in one go in the classroom.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread